Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Wendy Davis Distracts from Bio Scandal with New 'Pro-Gun' Stance

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:40 AM
  • 17 Replies

Last week, the Wendy Davis campaign surprised Texas with an abrupt pivot in conversation. Under a firestorm of criticism for the many falsehoods touted in her biography, a candidate known only for amorphous "feminism" and support of abortion started talking about guns. 

Now, in the middle of the scandal, Davis suddenly decided she supports gun rights.

Davis and her campaign told the Associated Press last week that Davis expects to campaign to "expand where people may carry handguns." While much of the AP's conversation with her involved discussing why she will not talk about details of her personal life now that she has made it the centerpiece of her campaign, she did shoehorn in chatter about her plans to help gun owners.

Davis told the AP that she owns a handgun for protection (though did not specify whether she hunts or shoots recreationally). She claimed that she "supports legislation that allows workers to keep guns in their vehicles at work." She seemed confident that she had a good track record with gun rights supporters, telling the news network, "I think I have been pretty strong in supporting the expansion of the rights of gun ownership."

This might come as a surprise to those who know Davis as a one-trick pony on abortion, which she has tied to feminism and made a platform out of. After all, gun rights are not mentioned anywhere on the "Issues" portion of her website, and she herself has said little about guns until today. Perhaps this is because before she suddenly did an about-face on the matter so strong as to want to pass legislation that lets Texans leave guns in their cars at work, she was one of the NRA's worst enemies in the Texas Senate.

The NRA gave Davis an F rating on gun rights for her tenure in the Texas Senate due to her voting history against laws expanding the freedom of Americans to carry guns. Specifically, Davis voted against and blocked a bill that sounds oddly familiar to the one she is proposing today. "Anti-gun" Davis, according to the NRA, "blocked NRA-backed legislation allowing adult Concealed Handgun Licensees to carry firearms for self-defense on college and university campuses from coming up for a final vote during the regular session that ended Memorial Day weekend." 

Davis has also half-heartedly advocated for background checks at gun shows. While telling the Texas Tribune that she believed the background checks were "the right thing," she admitted she had not worked on the issue because she did not see it as politically expedient: "I haven’t pursued it as a senator because I know it’s like spitting in the wind."

A former Republican who donated to Republican candidates and voted in primaries as recently as 2006, Davis was initially looked askance at by Texas Democrats, who seemed to view her with suspicion. She took that as a "compliment," because it showed people understood she "wasn't driven by" ideology.

Republican opponent Greg Abbott, who has a strong record of supporting gun rights, initially highlighted Davis's unpopular stance on guns in Texas, perhaps triggering this reaction from the Davis campaign. 

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Good perhaps more candidate will recognize gun rights.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Thanks for the Feature Cafemom - you rock

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:50 AM
4 moms liked this

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM
♥ Wendy Davis
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Yes for gun rights!
JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I am pro-choice & am pro-gun as well. I like Wendy Davis and like that she is not letting her party or her parties ideology completely take over her views. We absolutely need more of that! Comes across as much more genuine.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Do you like how she misrepresented her life history?

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

I am pro-choice & am pro-gun as well. I like Wendy Davis and like that she is not letting her party or her parties ideology completely take over her views. We absolutely need more of that! Comes across as much more genuine.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Wendy is a Democrat -
I think her supporters pretty much expect her to lie to them.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Well - I think January values the truth.

Quoting Billiejeens:
Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Wendy is a Democrat -
I think her supporters pretty much expect her to lie to them.

hhhanna
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I live in Texas and there is NO WAY that she will ever get my vote.  My dh feels the same way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)