Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School takes lunches away from up to 40 students and throws them away

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM
  • 48 Replies
Up to 40 kids at Uintah Elementary in Utah picked up their lunches Tuesday, then watched as the meals were taken and thrown away because of outstanding balances on their accounts — a move that shocked and angered parents.

“It was pretty traumatic and humiliating,” said Erica Lukes, whose 11-year-old daughter had her cafeteria lunch taken from her as she stood in line Tuesday at Uintah Elementary.

Lukes said as far as she knew, she was all paid up. “I think it's despicable,” she said. “These are young children that shouldn't be punished or humiliated for something the parents obviously need to clear up.”

Jason Olsen, a Salt Lake City District spokesman, said the district's child-nutrition department became aware that Uintah had a large number of students who owed money for lunches.

As a result, the child-nutrition manager visited the school and decided to withhold lunches to deal with the issue, he said.

But cafeteria workers weren't able to see which children owed money until they had already received lunches, Olsen explained.

The workers then took those lunches from the students and threw them away, he said, because once food is served to one student it can't be served to another.

Children whose lunches were taken were given milk and fruit instead.

Olsen said school officials told the district that their staffers typically tell students about any balances as they go through the lunch line and send home notifications to parents each week.

The district attempted to contact parents with balances via phone Monday and Tuesday, Olsen said, but weren't able to reach them all before the child-nutrition manager decided to take away the students' lunches.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/spotlight/ci_25022987/these-kids-got-their-school-lunches-taken-away
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autodidact
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
what a ridiculous waste
kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:33 PM
I know. They were already served the food. Why not just let them go through? Why throw it away?!

Quoting autodidact: what a ridiculous waste
Cutenessmom
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

You ever notice  thisstuf never gets people attention.  I think this was very ,very,very, corporate and cruel! Here let's give you food and then take it awa  and then feel bad and give you a apple!

Does anybody else see the hypocrisy of the child nutrition manager  demanding that kids  get  tuaght how heartless the school is by demanding they, starve and not recieve the the Proper nutrtion so they can learn?!

Am I the only one who see''s how  comon place this is  how dangerous  our schools are coming!

I pakc a lunch and  pay make sure my son has snacks and  hot lunch just to cover my sons basis!

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
They take away the lunches from those who don't have all the food groups in the packed lunches too. It's getting to be ridiculous.

Quoting Cutenessmom:

You ever notice  thisstuf never gets people attention.  I think this was very ,very,very, corporate and cruel! Here let's give you food and then take it awa  and then feel bad and give you a apple!

Does anybody else see the hypocrisy of the child nutrition manager  demanding that kids  get  tuaght how heartless the school is by demanding they, starve and not recieve the the Proper nutrtion so they can learn?!

Am I the only one who see''s how  comon place this is  how dangerous  our schools are coming!

I pakc a lunch and  pay make sure my son has snacks and  hot lunch just to cover my sons basis!

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Poor kids, and umm yea you probally wont be able to get ahold of parents during school hours because oh gee they are most likely at WORK! Hello not all jobs allow you to have a cell or take numerous personal calls that was totaly unexacusable what they did, they should have just let the childern eat and sent home/sent an email saying how much they owe, sorry a milk and fruit is NOT enough for a kid to last the rest of the day and to answer another poster THIS is partly why my childern are NOT in public (and other issues that I will talk about at another time) and no Im not rich by any means but I DO make a ton of sacrfices so as to PAY tuition for my childern
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this

There has to be a better system. I totally get that it's a budget thing, and yes people abuse the system..  BUT I think taking away the lunches is ridiculous.

SINCE the lunches were already given to the kids, and then taken away, I'd go so far as to say whoever made that decision should pay for all the food that was wasted.

Like others have said previously in similar posts, have PB and J sandwiches ready for anyone who hasn't paid. That's cheap and relatively healthy.

I'm even one who doesn't believe it's the schools or the states responsibility to feed kids. BUT I also have met many irresponsible parents who don't send lunch with their kids. Perhaps, they need to give the families more advance notice, and then even send a state worker to their home. After all, not feeding your child would constiute neglect, wouldn't it???

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:52 PM

So my kids also went to private schools for many years- all 4 of them (could have bought another house for what we paid in tuition)... now they are in a public high school as it was our only choice other than homeschooling which I wasn't about to do.

that said, I can't tell you how many kids came to our private school with NO lunch over and over again. Drove me nuts, and as the volunteer lunch mom- I said "go call your mom". tough cookies. Forget even giving a lunch to take it away. It was delievered exactly according to what was paid for in advance. no lunch, period if they didn't pay.

They totally could pay for it in advance (which were $6/ piece) but parents were too busy and never around- or of course, at the country club or playing tennis. I actually really appreciate the public school system, and so many real people- of course, people are people and make stupid decisions. Like with any school, the parent just really has to be on top of it, and actively involved.

Quoting Sat.Wed: Poor kids, and umm yea you probally wont be able to get ahold of parents during school hours because oh gee they are most likely at WORK! Hello not all jobs allow you to have a cell or take numerous personal calls that was totaly unexacusable what they did, they should have just let the childern eat and sent home/sent an email saying how much they owe, sorry a milk and fruit is NOT enough for a kid to last the rest of the day and to answer another poster THIS is partly why my childern are NOT in public (and other issues that I will talk about at another time) and no Im not rich by any means but I DO make a ton of sacrfices so as to PAY tuition for my childern

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM

it is funny. I wonder what the lunch even was. I read that hash browns and pizza were a full meal at many places- great, grease adn more fat? the whole thing is so stupid it's laughable.

Yes, I make my kids their lunches too- honestly because I think it's healthier, and I know I buy good food. Plus, they don't want to wait in any lines...eww, if these people are so stupid as to waste food though, I even wonder about everything else they do- food safety, sanitation, cooking... it's obvious to me they completely lack common sense.

Quoting Cutenessmom:

Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Except for wednesdays my childern bring packed lunches because the school does NOT offer hot lunch (pizza is $3 for 2 slices w/proceeds going for missions fund etc...) and yes having PB&J would be fine except there is alot of peanut allergry out there so yea lets not give the kid a lunch and send them to the hospital, and sorry NOT all private school parents are like that LOVE the accusations about that I WORK full time and I KNOW exactly what my childern are eating at lunch I pay $13/month on top of tuition for milk for my childern, BUT I also know they are getting a better education now then in the first few years they were in public

Quoting Ziva65:

So my kids also went to private schools for many years- all 4 of them (could have bought another house for what we paid in tuition)... now they are in a public high school as it was our only choice other than homeschooling which I wasn't about to do.

that said, I can't tell you how many kids came to our private school with NO lunch over and over again. Drove me nuts, and as the volunteer lunch mom- I said "go call your mom". tough cookies. Forget even giving a lunch to take it away. It was delievered exactly according to what was paid for in advance. no lunch, period if they didn't pay.

They totally could pay for it in advance (which were $6/ piece) but parents were too busy and never around- or of course, at the country club or playing tennis. I actually really appreciate the public school system, and so many real people- of course, people are people and make stupid decisions. Like with any school, the parent just really has to be on top of it, and actively involved.

Quoting Sat.Wed: Poor kids, and umm yea you probally wont be able to get ahold of parents during school hours because oh gee they are most likely at WORK! Hello not all jobs allow you to have a cell or take numerous personal calls that was totaly unexacusable what they did, they should have just let the childern eat and sent home/sent an email saying how much they owe, sorry a milk and fruit is NOT enough for a kid to last the rest of the day and to answer another poster THIS is partly why my childern are NOT in public (and other issues that I will talk about at another time) and no Im not rich by any means but I DO make a ton of sacrfices so as to PAY tuition for my childern

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StephanieSH
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:10 AM
It was just handled really really poorly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)