Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mayoral Ineptitude - Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed Is The Modern Ray Nagin – Atlanta Crippled By Winter Storms; Abandoned Cars, Chaos….

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:22 AM
  • 26 Replies

Posted on  by 

A complete and total FUBAR by Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and local Atlanta government.  Thousands of motorists sleep in cars and shops; thousands of students trapped in schools overnight. 

Atlanta 1

ATLANTA (AP) – Thousands of Atlanta students stranded all night long in their schools were reunited with their parents Wednesday, while rescuers rushed to deliver blankets, food, gas and a ride home to countless shivering motorists stopped cold by a storm that paralyzed the business capital of the South with less than 3 inches of snow.

As National Guardsmen and state troopers fanned out, Mayor Kasim Reed and Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal found themselves on the defensive, acknowledging the storm preparations could have been better. But Deal also blamed forecasters, saying he was led to believe it wouldn’t be so bad.

The icy weather wreaked similar havoc across much of the South, closing schools and highways, grounding flights and contributing to at least a dozen deaths from traffic accidents and a mobile home fire.

Yet it was Atlanta, home to major corporations and the world’s busiest airport, that was Exhibit A for how a Southern city could be sent reeling by winter weather that, in the North, might be no more than an inconvenience.

The mayor admitted the city could have directed schools, businesses and government offices to stagger their closings on Tuesday afternoon, as the storm began, rather than dismissing everyone at the same time.

The result was gridlock on freeways that are jammed even on normal days. Countless vehicles were stranded and many of them abandoned. Officials said 239 children spent Tuesday night aboard school buses; thousands of others stayed overnight in their schools.

One woman’s 12-mile commute home took 16 hours. Another woman gave birth while stuck in traffic; police arrived just in time to help. Drivers who gave up trying to get home took shelter at fire stations, churches and grocery stores.

One traffic death was reported in Atlanta – that of a man killed in a crash.

National Guardsmen in Humvees, state troopers and transportation crews delivered food and other relief, and by Wednesday night, Deal said all Atlanta-area schoolchildren were back home with their parents.

“I’m not thinking about a grade right now,” the mayor said when asked about the city’s response. “I’m thinking about getting people out of their cars.”

Atlanta was crippled by an ice storm in 2011, and officials had vowed not to be caught unprepared again. But in this case, few closings or other measures were ordered ahead of time. 

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I live in an area of the south - where simple rain sends a message to the native's brains, that when they decode it, the message says to them -

DRIVE INTO A DITCH!

Needless to say, they are less than spectacular in the snow.

But we all know that, we close the schools, we cancel sporting events, etc...  if snow is even predicted.

People have to look into candidate's qualifications when they vote - not trivial things.

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Not having experience with this type of winter storm is the reason.  I doubt that Atlanta has the equipment or resources to meet such a challenge. 

I feel sorry for the less than affluent who will take a huge financial hit.  The state will tow those cars and charge the drivers an outragous amount that many cannot afford.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:17 AM
I was at McD's last night and watching this on their tv. I am just floored at it. The still pictures don't do it justice. Being from just south of Iowa in Missouri, it's hard to picture the chaos cause by what we would call flurries.

Then I remembered living in Tulsa. >.<

I hope they learn from this and get it all cleared up.
PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

I live in an area of the south - where simple rain sends a message to the native's brains, that when they decode it, the message says to them -

DRIVE INTO A DITCH!

But we all know that, we close the schools, we cancel sporting events, etc...  if snow is even predicted.

People have to look into candidate's qualifications when they vote - not trivial things.

You really are an asshole. 

There was ice under that snow. And Mayor Reed, as well as Gov. Deal, did not pay attention to the weather forecasts predicting the storm.  Government offices, schools and businesses all closed at once, people got out onto icy roads clogged with traffic, and a giant clusterfuck ensued. We don't go this kind of weather often, so there aren't a lot of people with tire chains, not a lot of plows or trucks to salt and sand the roads. The local school systems and governments really did drop the ball. 

On the other hand, the storm also brought out the best in people. A Facebook page called snowedoutatlanta was started by a woman on Tuesday, thousands of people joined and strangers opened their homes to stranded people, businesses stayed open to allow people to spend the night, restaurants fed people free of charge and those who had vehicles, supplies, food, water, etc went out to help people they didn't know.  And that is what we call real southern hospitality. And not everyone understands that. Bless their hearts. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Billiejeens:

DRIVE INTO A DITCH!

There was ice under that snow. And Mayor Reed, as well as Gov. Deal, did not pay attention to the weather forecasts predicting the storm.  Government offices, schools and businesses all closed at once, people got out onto icy roads clogged with traffic, and a giant clusterfuck ensued. We don't go this kind of weather often, so there aren't a lot of people with tire chains, not a lot of plows or trucks to salt and sand the roads. The local school systems and governments really did drop the ball. 

On the other hand, the storm also brought out the best in people. A Facebook page called snowedoutatlanta was started by a woman on Tuesday, thousands of people joined and strangers opened their homes to stranded people, businesses stayed open to allow people to spend the night, restaurants fed people free of charge and those who had vehicles, supplies, food, water, etc went out to help people they didn't know.  And that is what we call real southern hospitality. And not everyone understands that. Bless their hearts. 

I'll bite.

How did you take my explanation of what happens here in central North Carolina and deduce that I really are an asshole?

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Billiejeens:

DRIVE INTO A DITCH!

I'll bite.

How did you take my explanation of what happens here in central North Carolina and deduce that I really are an asshole?

I was able to deduce you are an asshole a long time ago. From your words. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting PamR:

Quoting Billiejeens:

DRIVE INTO A DITCH!

I'll bite.

I was able to deduce you are an asshole a long time ago. From your words. 

Well now, that's a whole different story.

pamelax3
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I know here in South Texas we are not equipped for snow and ice, that is why our local officials normally close as soon as they even think it is headed our way

cfcf
by Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, no experience....except in 2011 when their city shut down after a snowstorm....

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Not having experience with this type of winter storm is the reason.  I doubt that Atlanta has the equipment or resources to meet such a challenge. 

I feel sorry for the less than affluent who will take a huge financial hit.  The state will tow those cars and charge the drivers an outragous amount that many cannot afford.

erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe it was my dad that always taught me to be prepared and anticipate things and take care of yourself (and my family now)..........

But I would have been pulling my kids out of school and been prepared for snow.  I would have been home with them early.  

I was not there and don't know the mindset of those there, but just from what I've seen, they did not really get it.  3 inches is not much at all, but if you don't know how to drive in 3 inches of snow, it can be rather terrifying when the back end of your car drifts out.

Maybe it's me, but it appeared way too many people were expecting the  city/state to take care of the snow issues.  People should have been taking care of things themselves.  

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN