Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Amanda Knox Found Guilty Again But Will She Be Extradited?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM
  • 6 Replies

Amanda Knox Found Guilty Again But Will She Be Extradited?

by Jenny Erikson

An Italian court found Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito guilty today for the 2007 murder of Knox’s roommate Meredith Kercher. They sentenced her to 28 years in prison, and Sollecito to 24.

But wait! Wasn’t her 2009 conviction overturned in 2011 when an appeals court decided that the evidence was circumstantial at best? Chick’s been home in Seattle for a while now and even wrote her memoirs on the whole thing.

Well apparently it doesn’t work like that in Italy. This is the same court (well, not the same judge and jury, but same “level” of court, so to speak) that originally tried her case. It then went to a higher court to confirm or overturn the conviction. That’s what happened in 2011.

So instead of dropping it, they sent it back down to the lower court and told them to try again and prosecute her another way. Now it will go back up to the higher court one more time.

Does anyone else have headache yet? Also, I kinda want to wrap myself in an American flag and warble the Star Spangled Banner right now.

More from The Stir: Amanda Knox Puts Authorities on High Alert With Latest Statement (VIDEO)

Anyway. So what happens now? It’s going to create a tricky situation if Italy issues an extradition order for Amanda, because the U.S. has an extradition agreement with Italy. However, we also have a policy against double jeopardy, which this clearly was, even if they’re not calling it that. So it’s hard to say what exactly happens next.

All I know is if I were Amanda Knox, I’d be Googling, “countries that don’t have an extradition agreement with Italy” like crazy right now.

What do you think of this second conviction?

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Ridiculous, on all counts.

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:40 AM
She won't be extradited. It's like a kangaroo court.
JanuaryBaby06
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:55 PM

It's Banas! I can't even begin to imagine what her and her family must be feeling right now!

sherry132
by Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I think we will extradite her. I heard on the radio that this is like declaring a mistrial and then being retried which is legal here. But I have also heard that there is no way it will happen. If we don't send her back, we will have a difficult time getting anyone back here to face charges.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I hope they don't extradite  her! This is crazy

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM

ok- in listening to the legal discussion here's my take.

I do think we will extradite- it's in the treaty and we want future reciprocation.

First, our double jeopardy standard doesn't apply. She was in their country and follows their rules- even if we think they are unfair. As someone in anothr group pointed out, America's laws don't rule the world. IT doesn't even govern our citizens when in another country. She was in their country and agrees to abide by their rules.

Second, if they do agree ot extradite, i think she will become a fugitive. She said so herself, and honestly if she were my daughter I'd already have plans in place.

Third, the discussion about "evidence" or lack thereof really is irrelevant, because they don't prosecute like we do. People there are guilty until proven innocent. So the lack of evidence really turns the table, simply there was evidence, even little,  and she has to prove her innocence in spite of the evidence. She has to explain how that evidence didn't make her guilty GWIM? The view it exaclty the opposite than we do here- we'd use the evidence to prosecute.

Side note, I don't think she was innocent in all of this, though likely not guilty of murder, just my take. BUT, she was in thier country. One reason my kids aren't going to go to college in a country like that.

I also wonder who is paying for her defense, most families would be bankrupt through all this, and it doesn't stop, over and over and over again. I hope we have some generous attorneys who have taken this on for her. If I were an attorney with an understanding of their laws I'd help. Just to protect our own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)