Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Black Activists in Chicago React to Obama’s State of the Union Speech – and It Isn’t Pretty

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM
  • 14 Replies

A group of black grassroots activists in Chicago sat and listened to President Barack Obama’s State of the Union speech on Tuesday, hoping to hear a new and uplifting message. Instead, they say they heard much of the same empty rhetoric that they have grown accustomed to hearing from politicians in Washington.

Black Activists in Chicago React to President Obamas State of the Union

J.R. Fleming (YouTube)

The activists gave their reactions to Obama’s big speech in a number of eye-opening interviews with the conservative blog Rebel Pundit. Given the president’s strong support within the black community, many of their comments will come as a surprise to some.

J.R. Fleming, a member of Chicago’s Anti-Eviction Campaign, said Obama’s speech was “the same ol’, same ol’.” He summed up the address as a “bunch of talk and rhetoric to give favor to a dying economy in America.”

“And the reason why our economy is dying is the president’s approach is always to place blame,” he added. “It’s not the 1 percent problem, it’s not the 99 percent problem, it’s an American problem. And the problem is patronage, nepotism and cronyism.”

Joe Watkins, the founder of V.O.T.E. (Voices of the Ex-Offender), said Obama has been “more hurtful to the black race than he has been helpful.” He claimed some people will accept his failures due to “symbolic” reasons relating to the color of his skin.

“But those of us at the bottom of the ladder don’t accept that,” he added.

Watkins also criticized the president for focusing so much on raising the minimum wage when too many people don’t have jobs at all. How will raising the minimum wage “going to help people who don’t have any jobs right now?” he asked.

Another activist with V.O.T.E. actually addressed Obama personally, telling him the black community would probably better off if he ended his presidency right now.

“Just quit,” Mark Carter said. “Because if this is what you call helping us, then just stop helping us.”

Watch the video via Rebel Pundit, which already has more than 112,000 views:

It should be noted that just because this particular group of activists are openly critical of the president, that doesn’t automatically mean that they are conservative. In fact, it is possible that the activists are disappointed that Obama hasn’t been far-left enough during his time in office. The video doesn’t provide any insight into the activists’ personal political views.

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Watkins also criticized the president for focusing so much on raising the minimum wage when too many people don’t have jobs at all. How will raising the minimum wage “going to help people who don’t have any jobs right now?” he asked

^^Bingo!!

vic270
by Vic on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

imo when the wages go up more and more jobs will be gone, not only that the ones that are on pa now will more than likely lose it when they get a raise so it will not help anyone in the long run.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Watkins also criticized the president for focusing so much on raising the minimum wage when too many people don’t have jobs at all. How will raising the minimum wage “going to help people who don’t have any jobs right now?” he asked

^^Bingo!!

vic270
by Vic on Jan. 31, 2014 at 10:00 PM
2 moms liked this

you don't have a clue as to what i know about and this part about keeping my mouth shut is to me not an option when i want to say something. why do you think you have the right to speak to anyone in this manner?

Quoting KatLee42513: You know nothing about business 101. You should have just kept your mouth shut.

Quoting vic270:

imo when the wages go up more and more jobs will be gone, not only that the ones that are on pa now will more than likely lose it when they get a raise so it will not help anyone in the long run.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

^^Bingo!!

blondekosmic15
Wishing everyone a very happy new year~
Yesterday at 7:08 PM
by Blonde on Feb. 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM
3 moms liked this

Exactly....employees are laid off, hrs cut & prices raised. Obama & his admin fail to grasp reality about so many issues facing America. 

Quoting vic270:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

^^Bingo!!

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Feb. 1, 2014 at 2:34 PM
4 moms liked this

Where are the JOBS???  It's been HOW many years?????  What's Obama waiting for?? Another nobel peace prize before he starts being an "acting" president FOR the people?

vic270
by Vic on Feb. 1, 2014 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this

i don't know that sometimes he even realizes that he is the president, he has made a career out of campaigning, that i think that it slips his mind that "he won" as nancy p. says.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Where are the JOBS???  It's been HOW many years?????  What's Obama waiting for?? Another nobel peace prize before he starts being an "acting" president FOR the people?

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this

A prize Obama never deserved...

Quoting Ednarooni160:

vic270
by Vic on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:14 PM
3 moms liked this

after this prize was given to obama, i knew that it was worthless because he did not do anything to earn it. when something has any meaning then you at least have to apply yourself in some way. i think he should have given this back because he was not worthy.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes, for myself the award lost any credibility when they gave it to Obama. Many were shaking their heads.

Quoting vic270:

after this prize was given to obama, i knew that it was worthless because he did not do anything to earn it. when something has any meaning then you at least have to apply yourself in some way. i think he should have given this back because he was not worthy.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Citygirlk
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:52 PM

You know he can't do it all on his own right? 

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN