Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Heard through the grapevine

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:30 PM
  • 3 Replies

From a reliable source..

Its been said Irs is teaming up with department of health and human services to cross reference filing status with welfare/eic eligibility.

If you're found to have filed married filing jointly but don't claim the spouse while filing for welfare, or file head of household without the spouse, irs can deny you your eic and charge you with fraud while dhhs can deny welfare and charge you with fraud.

Thoughts?
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
29again
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if they did this.  What DOES surprise me, is that they don't do this regularly.  How can they claim there is no/little fraud, if this huge opportunity is there and not being verified?  Once you are in the system, your whole life is an open book to the govt.  How do they not know this anyway?

cfcf
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
This is a very good point. I guess I never thought about it before but I would like to know how they know there is not a lot fraud.

Quoting 29again:

It wouldn't surprise me if they did this.  What DOES surprise me, is that they don't do this regularly.  How can they claim there is no/little fraud, if this huge opportunity is there and not being verified?  Once you are in the system, your whole life is an open book to the govt.  How do they not know this anyway?

gludwig2000
by Gina on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM

It does seem like the kind of thing that they should have been verifying all along.

Quoting 29again:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)