Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mystery of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) may have finally been solved

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:37 PM
  • 10 Replies
2 moms liked this
NEW YORK (PIX11) – There’s finally a possible explanation for SIDS, or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
Babies that die unexpectedly have underlying brain-stem abnormalities that are not normal before death, according to new research published in the December issue of Pediatrics.

The brain stem affects breathing, heart rate, blood pressure and temperature during sleep. Experts say these abnormalities prevent sleeping babies from waking up when they rebreathe too much carbon dioxide, when they don’t get enough oxygen or become overheated.

Even infants who were sleeping face down or next to an adult had these underlying brain-stem abnormalities.

What this means is that parents can finally let go of some of the guilt that they did something wrong..And doctors can now try to identify tests for healthy babies to see who’s at risk, and develop appropriate treatments.

In the meantime, safe sleep practices like a firm mattress could make a difference — no padding, stuffed animals or pillows. And putting your baby to sleep on his or her back can help. Also, don’t overheat your child. and don’t put covers over the head.

http://pix11.com/2014/01/30/mystery-of-sudden-infant-death-syndrome-sids-may-have-finally-been-solved/#axzz2s0uUaHFk
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Interesting, it makes sense. Sort of ties all the theories together.

One of my triplets would become apneic when he first got home. They were born at 29 weeks, and came home a month later, so at about 33 weeks, they were one month old.

Anyway, we had apnea monitors on them. He still had episodes, we'd rub his chest and he's come out of it. Once I had to do CPR. HE went back to the hospital. The treatment was pure caffiene- until his brainstem became more devleoped. He's totally fine now.

not sure how we can address that. I don't think it's feasible to geive every newborn a monitor, but somehow perhaps they can test for that level of development prior to discharge. IDK< healthcare costs are already high...then we have those who don't even deliver at the hosptials. That is one of those issue I've seen to with the midwife birthing centers. The midwife does a newborn assessment one week post delivery and by one month the infants should see a pediatrician. They don't all do that though, and theoretically what kind of screening can really be done to identify that?

gludwig2000
by Gina on Feb. 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I wonder if it is a feasible to test newborns for this abnormality? It makes a lot of sense, when you consider how important the brain stem is.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 6:26 PM

underlying brain-stem abnormalities that are not normal

i can't believe someone got paid to write this article.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

have known too many people who lost their babies from SIDS.  So heartbreaking.  I hope they can figure out how to stop it.

Scribbleprints
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:34 PM

THIS is the post that needs to be featured!  THIS ONE...with the real science behind it.  

Scribbleprints
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:43 PM

We're you questioning the research or just commenting on the grammar?

OK, well here are several others on the same subject, if you don't like that one.  The study was done by researchers at Harvard Medical School and Boston Children's Hospital...

http://fox2now.com/2014/01/23/researchers-may-have-found-a-cause-for-sudden-infant-death-syndrome/

http://health.howstuffworks.com/pregnancy-and-parenting/baby-health/infant-health/sids.htm

http://pix11.com/2014/02/08/expert-discuses-new-findings-on-cause-of-sudden-infant-death-syndrome-sids/#axzz2tv7cevAt

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/baby-health/sudden-infant-death-syndrome-possible-cause-discovered-in-new-study-20131204-2yptc.html

http://wtvr.com/2014/01/24/what-causes-sids/

Quoting autodidact:

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:45 PM

The writing. I thought that would be obvious. 

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting autodidact:

Scribbleprints
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Sorry I overreacted...I just came from the crazy SIDS posts where someone claims that SIDS is caused by ghosts (or something like that...I didn't read very far in).  So yeah, I wasn't sure.  

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting autodidact:

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Oh, for fuck's sake on the "ghosts". guess they're sexier than, you know, science. 

"abnormalties that are not normal" just screams "written by a fourth grader and edited by no one" 

I have a theory that all the editors must've been taken en masse by aliens.  

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Sorry I overreacted...I just came from the crazy SIDS posts where someone claims that SIDS is caused by ghosts (or something like that...I didn't read very far in).  So yeah, I wasn't sure.  

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting autodidact:

Scribbleprints
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Oh, I agree.  It's in quotes (at least on some of the articles)  so I'm guessing that's something one of the researchers said...maybe it was in an interview and not something he would have written if he could go back and edit it (I'm hoping).   Of course, you can be a genious in your field and still write like a 4th grader (I've known a few computer science geeks who were incredibly intellegent but couldn't write a well written, grammatically correct paragraph if their life depended on it.)  You'ld think they could find a better quote to use, though.  

Quoting autodidact:

Oh, for fuck's sake on the "ghosts". guess they're sexier than, you know, science. 

"abnormalties that are not normal" just screams "written by a fourth grader and edited by no one" 

I have a theory that all the editors must've been taken en masse by aliens.  

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Quoting autodidact:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)