Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Posted by   + Show Post

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Source: abc NEWS

An unmarried teacher at a Roman Catholic middle school in Montana has been fired after getting pregnant. 

Patrick Haggarty, the superintendent of Catholic schools for the Diocese of Helena, says Butte Central teacher Shaela Evenson "made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract." He says the agreement requires that Evenson respect the moral and religious teachings of the Catholic Church in both her professional and personal life. 

Butte Central elementary and middle school principal Kerrie Hellyer tells The Montana Standard (http://bit.ly/1enCcQ0 ) that Haggarty dismissed Evenson on Jan. 10. 

Evenson taught sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade literature and physical education for just over eight years. A phone message left for her Tuesday wasn't immediately returned.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/catholic-school-teacher-fired-pregnancy-22363980 

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM
6 moms liked this

I see this as a non story.  People are fired every day from jobs for violation of contracts, agreements, policies, etc.  when you agree to a job, you should be held accountable and responsible for the actions you take.  She and the father or partner of the baby should have discussed this inevitability when deciding to get pregnant.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Of Course:

(but then how would they spin it to make The Catholic Church look bad?)

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I see this as a non story.  People are fired every day from jobs for violation of contracts, agreements, policies, etc.  when you agree to a job, you should be held accountable and responsible for the actions you take.  She and the father or partner of the baby should have discussed this inevitability when deciding to get pregnant.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Where is the spin? The CC did what they did and if that makes them look bad well...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this

well somebody obviously made a spin or point out of this, that's why we're reading about it.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Where is the spin? The CC did what they did and if that makes them look bad well...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

What is the spin?

Quoting Debrowsky:

well somebody obviously made a spin or point out of this, that's why we're reading about it.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully she'll find another job. But, if not that's what welfare is there for..

Quoting Sisteract:

Hope she won't need to turn to welfare for lack of a job and HC benefits.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Why do they look bad?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:35 PM

"IF"

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Why do they look bad?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Who said they looked bad? YOU are the only one implying it. Don't play stupid, it's beneath you..

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

"IF"

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM

You don't seem to be reading what I said correctly. Read it again. I said "if that makes them look bad." Not that it does. Surely there are differing opinions on it. 

Please respond respectfully and I shall do them same. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Who said they looked bad? YOU are the only one implying it. Don't play stupid, it's beneath you..

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

"IF"

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)