Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Posted by   + Show Post

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Source: abc NEWS

An unmarried teacher at a Roman Catholic middle school in Montana has been fired after getting pregnant. 

Patrick Haggarty, the superintendent of Catholic schools for the Diocese of Helena, says Butte Central teacher Shaela Evenson "made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract." He says the agreement requires that Evenson respect the moral and religious teachings of the Catholic Church in both her professional and personal life. 

Butte Central elementary and middle school principal Kerrie Hellyer tells The Montana Standard (http://bit.ly/1enCcQ0 ) that Haggarty dismissed Evenson on Jan. 10. 

Evenson taught sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade literature and physical education for just over eight years. A phone message left for her Tuesday wasn't immediately returned.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/catholic-school-teacher-fired-pregnancy-22363980 

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (121-128):
Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM

holy cow, I want you to be my lawyer!

Quoting Billiejeens:

She signed a contract stating she would do certain things - she lied about that.

She willfully continued to accept money after she knew that she was in violation of her contract - she accepted this money under false pretenses, therefore constituting theft  - criminal behavior.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

What info did she not give them that they needed?

Thief?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Other than being a liar and a thief?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Like her? What's wrong with her?

Quoting Billiejeens:

After seeing the economy devasted by Obama it does make me wonder why anyone would ever hire a person like her.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

After seeing this happen now more and more it does make one wonder why anyone would even work for people like this.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Fine -

Typically i have a fairly high retainer.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Billiejeens:

She signed a contract stating she would do certain things - she lied about that.

She willfully continued to accept money after she knew that she was in violation of her contract - she accepted this money under false pretenses, therefore constituting theft  - criminal behavior.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Thief?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

After seeing the economy devasted by Obama it does make me wonder why anyone would ever hire a person like her.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

After seeing this happen now more and more it does make one wonder why anyone would even work for people like this.

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM

you're so workable   

Quoting Billiejeens:

Fine -

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Thief?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM

uh huh

It is well known that I am the most flexible and open minded member of the group.

Quoting Debrowsky:

you're so workable   

Quoting Billiejeens:

Fine -

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Thief?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Indeed you are ~ I love your business card  

Quoting Billiejeens:

uh huh

It is well known that I am the most flexible and open minded member of the group.

Quoting Debrowsky:

you're so workable   

Quoting Billiejeens:

Fine -

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Thief?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, she violated her contract.  She should have kept her legs shut.

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
She didn't set a good example.
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 5:18 PM

It does violate her contract. But you would think they would maybe let her work behind the scenes until she has the baby. I don't think they want to encourage her to have an abortion. 

They do have a contractual agreement. But it seems that compassion could find some other route.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)