Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Posted by   + Show Post

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Source: abc NEWS

An unmarried teacher at a Roman Catholic middle school in Montana has been fired after getting pregnant. 

Patrick Haggarty, the superintendent of Catholic schools for the Diocese of Helena, says Butte Central teacher Shaela Evenson "made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract." He says the agreement requires that Evenson respect the moral and religious teachings of the Catholic Church in both her professional and personal life. 

Butte Central elementary and middle school principal Kerrie Hellyer tells The Montana Standard (http://bit.ly/1enCcQ0 ) that Haggarty dismissed Evenson on Jan. 10. 

Evenson taught sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade literature and physical education for just over eight years. A phone message left for her Tuesday wasn't immediately returned.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/catholic-school-teacher-fired-pregnancy-22363980 

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (21-30):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this
But my question is WHY would this make them look bad? Your statement suggests that it could.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

You don't seem to be reading what I said correctly. Read it again. I said "if that makes them look bad." Not that it does. Surely there are differing opinions on it. 

Please respond respectfully and I shall do them same. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Who said they looked bad? YOU are the only one implying it. Don't play stupid, it's beneath you..

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

"IF"

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Why do they look bad?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Where is the spin? The CC did what they did and if that makes them look bad well...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

(but then how would they spin it to make The Catholic Church look bad?)

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I see this as a non story.  People are fired every day from jobs for violation of contracts, agreements, policies, etc.  when you agree to a job, you should be held accountable and responsible for the actions you take.  She and the father or partner of the baby should have discussed this inevitability when deciding to get pregnant.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Well it could be seen as a negative thing to do to a hard working teacher who is expecting. Not the church as a whole but the people who decided that their moral code is more important than people. 

IMHO they should have maybe put her on leave or something but to push her out when she has decided to have this child. I mean it just doesn't make sense. She could have aborted and not told anyone..would they have preferred that??!!

Please don't respond with she could have kept her legs shut. Yes, that is a possibility but let's be real. People have sex and accidents happen. I am glad she has made the decision that is right for her. I just wish her employer would be more understanding in regards to her condition.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: But my question is WHY would this make them look bad? Your statement suggests that it could.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

You don't seem to be reading what I said correctly. Read it again. I said "if that makes them look bad." Not that it does. Surely there are differing opinions on it. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Who said they looked bad? YOU are the only one implying it. Don't play stupid, it's beneath you..

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

"IF"

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Where is the spin? The CC did what they did and if that makes them look bad well...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I see this as a non story.  People are fired every day from jobs for violation of contracts, agreements, policies, etc.  when you agree to a job, you should be held accountable and responsible for the actions you take.  She and the father or partner of the baby should have discussed this inevitability when deciding to get pregnant.

novachick
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this
It's most likely not a consequence or punishment for the teacher but they can't have the example she's putting out there for their students. I used to teach private violin lessons. I had a few Christian families that I taught their children. I got pregnant when I was 18 and not married. I lost 3 students because they didn't want their daughters looking up to me since I was an authority figure and they didn't want them thinking that was ok or acceptable. I'm assuming the school has similar reasoning for firing the teacher.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

SMH guess the teacher's welfare and that of her unborn child is less important than their religious moral convictions. Surely God forgives, why can't they?

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:38 PM
3 moms liked this
The legs closed response is not my style. But, she did sign a contract which she violated. By letting her stay employed they send a message to the student body that what she did is acceptable, and it's not according to the Catholic Church.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Well it could be seen as a negative thing to do to a hard working teacher who is expecting. Not the church as a whole but the people who decided that their moral code is more important than people. 

IMHO they should have maybe put her on leave or something but to push her out when she has decided to have this child. I mean it just doesn't make sense. She could have aborted and not told anyone..would they have preferred that??!!

Please don't respond with she could have kept her legs shut. Yes, that is a possibility but let's be real. People have sex and accidents happen. I am glad she has made the decision that is right for her. I just wish her employer would be more understanding in regards to her condition.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: But my question is WHY would this make them look bad? Your statement suggests that it could.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

"IF"

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM
4 moms liked this

This wouldn't even be a news item if personal responsibility was not a thing of the past in this country.

She had a contract  to fullfil, a responsibilty to do what she said that she would do. Not just what was convenient to do, what she agreed to do.

If I signed a contract (not that I would) that stated that 15 minutes of every work day I would stand in the corner on my head, 15 minutes out of every work day, you would find me on my head, in the corner.

It would be my personal responsibility to my employer and to myself to do what I agreed to do.

That concept has become completely foreign to this country - that is a huge problem

Kaya529
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Legally they are in the right to fire her. Morally, they are a bunch of hypocrites that can't even be bothered to follow the teachings of Jesus.
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

How?  They are masters of spin!  They'll find a way!  Maybe do a photo op with her 6 months pregnant and dumpster diving behind the church.  They set that up and the church will definitely look bad! No one will care what her employment contract included.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Of Course:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM
What if this pregnancy was the result of a rape. All you hypocrites would be singing a different tune.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM

In what way?

Quoting marchantmom06: What if this pregnancy was the result of a rape. All you hypocrites would be singing a different tune.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Billie, I'm not playing games with you today. You aren't a complete moron figure it out.

Quoting Billiejeens:

In what way?

Quoting marchantmom06: What if this pregnancy was the result of a rape. All you hypocrites would be singing a different tune.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)