Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Posted by   + Show Post

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Source: abc NEWS

An unmarried teacher at a Roman Catholic middle school in Montana has been fired after getting pregnant. 

Patrick Haggarty, the superintendent of Catholic schools for the Diocese of Helena, says Butte Central teacher Shaela Evenson "made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract." He says the agreement requires that Evenson respect the moral and religious teachings of the Catholic Church in both her professional and personal life. 

Butte Central elementary and middle school principal Kerrie Hellyer tells The Montana Standard (http://bit.ly/1enCcQ0 ) that Haggarty dismissed Evenson on Jan. 10. 

Evenson taught sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade literature and physical education for just over eight years. A phone message left for her Tuesday wasn't immediately returned.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/catholic-school-teacher-fired-pregnancy-22363980 

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM
3 moms liked this

crying

Quoting marchantmom06: Billie, I'm not playing games with you today. You aren't a complete moron figure it out.

Quoting Billiejeens:

In what way?

Quoting marchantmom06: What if this pregnancy was the result of a rape. All you hypocrites would be singing a different tune.

JTROX
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:17 PM
5 moms liked this

She signed a contract.  This most likely included a morality clause.  

If she chose to ignore it, she shouldn't be surprised at the consequences.

Jennyanne322
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:22 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree with the school system. The teacher signs a contract and must abide by the rules of the system.
Oliviasmom72
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:15 AM
4 moms liked this

She likely signed a morality clause and she should know better than to do something so against Catholicism. She can likely find another job. Catholic schools are not for her if shes getting knocked up and single.

blueforewolf
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:19 AM

she knew the rules I'm not one inch sorry for her - you work for a religious organization and signed a contract you knew what would happen

blueforewolf
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if it was from rape it would have been mentioned as part of the story line and if it was than it would be interesting to see how the school would handle that I would hope that they would give her a leave of absence or whatever - if not than I would believe that they are unethical -

Quoting marchantmom06: What if this pregnancy was the result of a rape. All you hypocrites would be singing a different tune.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, rape didn't seem to be a part of this story, seems like she just wanted to pop in and call moral people hypocrites.

If a crime was committed against her, she wouldn't be guilty of violating her contract.

Quoting blueforewolf:

I think if it was from rape it would have been mentioned as part of the story line and if it was than it would be interesting to see how the school would handle that I would hope that they would give her a leave of absence or whatever - if not than I would believe that they are unethical -

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Kaya529: Legally they are in the right to fire her. Morally, they are a bunch of hypocrites that can't even be bothered to follow the teachings of Jesus.

well from what we read in the article- morally, it was the teacher who was being hypocritical.   This teacher not only violated a contract of the school, but also the moral guidelines within the religion, she is also having the nerve to take this to court, as if to prove she has done nothing wrong.

Kaya529
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Ummm, I am pretty sure Jesus taught that you should forgive and live the person anyways. When the Pharisees brought the adultress to Jesus he asked if she would do it again. When she said no then he said she was forgiven and to not do it again. He would not have fired her and treated her like a whore. That makes the church morally bankrupt. The inability to follow through with the teachings they proclaim to believe in.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Kaya529: Legally they are in the right to fire her. Morally, they are a bunch of hypocrites that can't even be bothered to follow the teachings of Jesus.

well from what we read in the article- morally, it was the teacher who was being hypocritical.   This teacher not only violated a contract of the school, but also the moral guidelines within the religion, she is also having the nerve to take this to court, as if to prove she has done nothing wrong.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM
But a crime was committed, rape or not. Federal law protects pregnant women from being discriminated against.
They can't fire her because of a pregnancy. They could charge her with breach of contract but under federal law they cannot fire her.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Yeah, rape didn't seem to be a part of this story, seems like she just wanted to pop in and call moral people hypocrites.

If a crime was committed against her, she wouldn't be guilty of violating her contract.

Quoting blueforewolf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN