Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Posted by   + Show Post

Catholic School Teacher Fired Over Pregnancy

Source: abc NEWS

An unmarried teacher at a Roman Catholic middle school in Montana has been fired after getting pregnant. 

Patrick Haggarty, the superintendent of Catholic schools for the Diocese of Helena, says Butte Central teacher Shaela Evenson "made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract." He says the agreement requires that Evenson respect the moral and religious teachings of the Catholic Church in both her professional and personal life. 

Butte Central elementary and middle school principal Kerrie Hellyer tells The Montana Standard (http://bit.ly/1enCcQ0 ) that Haggarty dismissed Evenson on Jan. 10. 

Evenson taught sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade literature and physical education for just over eight years. A phone message left for her Tuesday wasn't immediately returned.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/catholic-school-teacher-fired-pregnancy-22363980 

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Replies (41-50):
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this

The only Hypocrites this story would have is if the School kept the teacher.  They did what they had to do and she knew that.

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

You are assuming and putting things into a situation that Jesus was not in.  He was demonstrating God's love and forgiveness when we are repentant.  And we can't assume these people didn't forgive the teacher.  They simply were keeping the standard for all to live by.  The teacher put herself in the position of being promiscuous, no one in the church forced her to do that, she did it by choice, and now has to deal with the consequence.   The church was fulfulling its purpose of teaching the value of chastity to the next generation.  This is taught in the scriptures that we are to do this.  Jesus also taught that those who choose not to abide by God's moral law will suffer the consequences when they come before Him and have to give an account of what they have done and why.  It is the same as the teacher having to give an account of her choices before the Church school board.

Quoting Kaya529: Ummm, I am pretty sure Jesus taught that you should forgive and live the person anyways. When the Pharisees brought the adultress to Jesus he asked if she would do it again. When she said no then he said she was forgiven and to not do it again. He would not have fired her and treated her like a whore. That makes the church morally bankrupt. The inability to follow through with the teachings they proclaim to believe in.

Quoting Debrowsky:

Quoting Kaya529: Legally they are in the right to fire her. Morally, they are a bunch of hypocrites that can't even be bothered to follow the teachings of Jesus.

well from what we read in the article- morally, it was the teacher who was being hypocritical.   This teacher not only violated a contract of the school, but also the moral guidelines within the religion, she is also having the nerve to take this to court, as if to prove she has done nothing wrong.

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM
4 moms liked this

As always B.J.  you pull out the underlying point.    personal resonsibility is almost a thing of the past.  we look to justify, or blame others.  that's why she's pursuing legal action.

Quoting Billiejeens:

This wouldn't even be a news item if personal responsibility was not a thing of the past in this country.

She had a contract  to fullfil, a responsibilty to do what she said that she would do. Not just what was convenient to do, what she agreed to do.

If I signed a contract (not that I would) that stated that 15 minutes of every work day I would stand in the corner on my head, 15 minutes out of every work day, you would find me on my head, in the corner.

It would be my personal responsibility to my employer and to myself to do what I agreed to do.

That concept has become completely foreign to this country - that is a huge problem

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this

I dunno, maybe you simply are not following along.

They didn't investigate her sinful private life although they could have and fired her for breach of contract at any time - they looked the other way until she forced them not to.

"It is unusual," he said. "The vast majority of our teachers fulfill their contract without any question and without any exception and they’re excellent teachers."

Diocese spokesman Dan Bartleson said the diocese doesn’t investigate the personal lives of its employees but was forced to fire Evenson when the pregnancy became known.

"A Catholic school teacher enters into an agreement not only with the district but with parents and teachers ... to follow a lifestyle in line with Catholic teachings," Bartleson said. “When (Evenson’s) choices became public, the administration had to act.”

Evenson was a widely known standout athlete for the Montana Tech Orediggers volleyball team and was later an assistant coach. She was fired in late 2011 in the ouster of longtime head coach Marilyn Tobin.

Quoting marchantmom06: But a crime was committed, rape or not. Federal law protects pregnant women from being discriminated against.
They can't fire her because of a pregnancy. They could charge her with breach of contract but under federal law they cannot fire her.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Yeah, rape didn't seem to be a part of this story, seems like she just wanted to pop in and call moral people hypocrites.

If a crime was committed against her, she wouldn't be guilty of violating her contract.

Quoting blueforewolf:

I think if it was from rape it would have been mentioned as part of the story line and if it was than it would be interesting to see how the school would handle that I would hope that they would give her a leave of absence or whatever - if not than I would believe that they are unethical -

Quoting marchantmom06: What if this pregnancy was the result of a rape. All you hypocrites would be singing a different tune.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Of Course!

Quoting Debrowsky:

As always B.J.  you pull out the underlying point.    personal resonsibility is almost a thing of the past.  we look to justify, or blame others.  that's why she's pursuing legal action.

Quoting Billiejeens:

This wouldn't even be a news item if personal responsibility was not a thing of the past in this country.

She had a contract  to fullfil, a responsibilty to do what she said that she would do. Not just what was convenient to do, what she agreed to do.

If I signed a contract (not that I would) that stated that 15 minutes of every work day I would stand in the corner on my head, 15 minutes out of every work day, you would find me on my head, in the corner.

It would be my personal responsibility to my employer and to myself to do what I agreed to do.

That concept has become completely foreign to this country - that is a huge problem

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Or maybe you aren't following along. They could have charged her with breach of contract. They may have. But legally they cannot fire someone for being pregnant. It's against the law.

Quoting Billiejeens:

They didn't investigate her sinful private life although they could have and fired her for breach of contract at any time - they looked the other way until she forced them not to.

"It is unusual," he said. "The vast majority of our teachers fulfill their contract without any question and without any exception and they’re excellent teachers."

Diocese spokesman Dan Bartleson said the diocese doesn’t investigate the personal lives of its employees but was forced to fire Evenson when the pregnancy became known.

"A Catholic school teacher enters into an agreement not only with the district but with parents and teachers ... to follow a lifestyle in line with Catholic teachings," Bartleson said. “When (Evenson’s) choices became public, the administration had to act.”

Evenson was a widely known standout athlete for the Montana Tech Orediggers volleyball team and was later an assistant coach. She was fired in late 2011 in the ouster of longtime head coach Marilyn Tobin.

Quoting marchantmom06: But a crime was committed, rape or not. Federal law protects pregnant women from being discriminated against.
They can't fire her because of a pregnancy. They could charge her with breach of contract but under federal law they cannot fire her.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Yeah, rape didn't seem to be a part of this story, seems like she just wanted to pop in and call moral people hypocrites.

If a crime was committed against her, she wouldn't be guilty of violating her contract.

Quoting blueforewolf:

I think if it was from rape it would have been mentioned as part of the story line and if it was than it would be interesting to see how the school would handle that I would hope that they would give her a leave of absence or whatever - if not than I would believe that they are unethical -

Quoting marchantmom06: What if this pregnancy was the result of a rape. All you hypocrites would be singing a different tune.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Smh. If it was a priest on choir boy there'd be no issue.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

(1) The article is not a legal document.

(B) The words "After" and "Because"  are not interchangable. 

Quoting marchantmom06: Yes Billie we love you anyways.

Very first line of the article
An unmarried teacher at a Roman Catholic middle school in Montana has been fired after getting pregnant.

Yes they aren't firing her for getting pregnant. They are firing her for...... Oh wait getting pregnant.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Got To Love The Dumbmasses.

They are not firing her for being pregnant.

Pregnant is simply exhibit "A" of breach of contract.

Quoting marchantmom06: Or maybe you aren't following along. They could have charged her with breach of contract. They may have. But legally they cannot fire someone for being pregnant. It's against the law.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting blueforewolf:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Interesting.

I would think that a priest or choir boy being pregnant would be noteworthy.

Quoting -Celestial-: Smh. If it was a priest on choir boy there'd be no issue.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting marchantmom06: Or maybe you aren't following along. They could have charged her with breach of contract. They may have. But legally they cannot fire someone for being pregnant. It's against the law.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting blueforewolf:

IT was a breach of contract 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)