Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you think Sandra Fluke would be a good addition to Congress?

Posted by   + Show Post

Birth Control Activist Sandra Fluke Is Seriously Considering a Run for Congress

by Jenny Erikson 

The woman who became semi-famous after Rush Limbaugh asked if she was a slut for demanding government-sponsored birth control looks to be very seriously considering a run for Congress.

Sandra Fluke has filed and paid the fee to obtain the endorsement of the California Democratic Party, although she has not officially entered the race to replace the retiring Henry Waxman in his west L.A. district.

A representative for Fluke told The Daily Caller, “It does not mean she is definitely running … it was a procedural step she had to take with the state party if she would want to be considered for their endorsement, it is not indicative of a final decision.”

More from The Stir: Rush Limbaugh Apologized for Slut Comment ... Now Get Over It

The Georgetown grad moved to California and passed the bar exam two years ago, so she’s a legit candidate. And in the super liberal district she’s running in, she actually has a shot at winning. Think Malibu, Brentwood, and Beverly Hills. I mean, they’re probably not clamoring for free birth control in those neighborhoods, but they’re definitely Obama-voters, and you know how much Obama-voters love their promises of free stuff paid for by other people.

I kid, I kid. Er, um, well let’s just say there’s humor in truth.

No word yet on whether the former candidate for Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” is planning to fund her own race, or if she’ll want that paid for too.

Do you think Sandra Fluke would be a good addition to Congress?

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Replies (41-50):
Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not. When did she say this? Can you quote her please?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Since when is government and employers responsible for preventing pregnancy?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

So because you are responsible for your body thus she believes that women can't take care of themselves? Alrighty then

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Because I am responsible for pretecting MY body from pregnancy NOT the government.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

What has she said that gives you the impression she believes that women can't take care of themselves?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Your statements were spot on.

Fact is she is a perfect fit for the political fools in Califorinia though.  I don't think I want a woman like that in office. I don't like people who think women can't take care of themselves

Quoting vic270:

i did not make any false statements against her if i did you point them out and i will make corrections. i do not have any use for her and that is my opinion. i'm entitled to that and i do nt lie. please tell me where i'm wrong.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Obviously you didn't watch it. Maybe doing so would help be more informed on what was really said instead of making false statements in regards to Sandra Fluke.

Quoting vic270:

i did not watch her speech the first time, she made it about her and getting her birth control paid for when obamas adm. was passing obamacare. i thought she made a big idiot of herself then and first impressions do count.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

You need to watch her speech she gave again. It was not about her. 

Quoting vic270:

she needs to get out of poitics and endorse her own birth control pill. she has done had a lot of success with that. and as long as she is on the pill mayby she won't reproduce.oh i forgot to answer the question NO.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Stop being so obtuse you know exactly what she said. Since when does government or private companies responsible for BIRTH CONTROL? 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

So because you are responsible for your body thus she believes that women can't take care of themselves? Alrighty then

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Because I am responsible for pretecting MY body from pregnancy NOT the government.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

What has she said that gives you the impression she believes that women can't take care of themselves?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Fact is she is a perfect fit for the political fools in Califorinia though.  I don't think I want a woman like that in office. I don't like people who think women can't take care of themselves

Quoting vic270:

i did not make any false statements against her if i did you point them out and i will make corrections. i do not have any use for her and that is my opinion. i'm entitled to that and i do nt lie. please tell me where i'm wrong.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Obviously you didn't watch it. Maybe doing so would help be more informed on what was really said instead of making false statements in regards to Sandra Fluke.

Quoting vic270:

i did not watch her speech the first time, she made it about her and getting her birth control paid for when obamas adm. was passing obamacare. i thought she made a big idiot of herself then and first impressions do count.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

she needs to get out of poitics and endorse her own birth control pill. she has done had a lot of success with that. and as long as she is on the pill mayby she won't reproduce.oh i forgot to answer the question NO.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM

See I am glad you agree with the fact that Healthcare government and private shouldn't cover birth control if they don't want to!! Awesome!

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not being obtuse. No need to be rude. If you can't prove she said anything of the kind just say so. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Stop being so obtuse you know exactly what she said. Since when does government or private companies responsible for BIRTH CONTROL? 

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

No but if someone is paying for private insurance and it is covered under that plan, if they use any of those covered items is none of your employers business.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

See I am glad you agree with the fact that Healthcare government and private shouldn't cover birth control if they don't want to!! Awesome!

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I am not being rude. I think you are. You know exactly what I am saying.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

I am not being obtuse. No need to be rude. If you can't prove she said anything of the kind just say so. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

No sorry. I only asked you to quote her saying that. I will just continue on believing that she never did. It's okay.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:49 PM

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/03/lib-hero-sandra-fluke-free-birth-control-is-a-natural-human-right-i-wont-be-silenced/

Thanks to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, preventive care services, including contraception, will be covered by private insurance plans without co-pays or deductibles. If appropriately implemented, this important law will finally guarantee women access to contraception, regardless of the religious affiliation of their workplace or school.

When should it be free?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

No sorry. I only asked you to quote her saying that. I will just continue on believing that she never did. It's okay.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 6, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing is free. I hope you know that much.

It should be free / or low cost to those who cannot afford it. Planned Parenthood / MediCal services. Talking contraceptives not (abortion).

Right so if I am paying $1000 a month for my health insurance and now the insurance has agreed to cover my contraception for not extra charge..Euh Thank You! If I need to use that service I will. I am still paying a lot of money for my coverage and what I use or don't use is my business, no?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/03/lib-hero-sandra-fluke-free-birth-control-is-a-natural-human-right-i-wont-be-silenced/

Thanks to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, preventive care services, including contraception, will be covered by private insurance plans without co-pays or deductibles. If appropriately implemented, this important law will finally guarantee women access to contraception, regardless of the religious affiliation of their workplace or school.

When should it be free?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting vic270:

joyfree
by Kat on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM

What I wanted you to see was that I think that you are wrong about what Sandra Fluke's role was in speaking publicly! You just gave us good reasons why you should SUPPORT her, since she is fighting for women like your granddaughter to be able to get the medication they NEED at a price that they can afford...

She never would have been heard of IF the GOP men had allowed actual WOMEN to be on the committee on WOMEN'S contraception! I bet you never heard about that.

Here is ONE article about it.  You might consider it biased, but it is one of many.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/166311/republican-hearing-contraception-no-women-allowed

I don't care if you like Ms. Fluke or not, but she's standing up for women's rights, which should be important to all women. She is not just a pro-choice over-sexed baby killer as she has been portrayed in right wing media. This is a difficult and cumbersome issue, but we apparently agree about situations like your granddaughter's.

Does your granddaughter's insurance cover her treatment or has she had to fight for it tooth and nail? I hope she feels better now that she's getting proper treatment.

good

Republican Hearing on Contraception: No Women Allowed

The panel for this morning's House Oversight and Government Reform committee hearing on birth control access.

This morning, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is holding a hearing titled “Lines Crossed: Separation of Church and State. Has the Obama Administration Trampled on Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Conscience?” The topic, as you might guess, is the recent administration decision to mandate birth control coverage.

As you might not guess, the first panel of witnesses doesn’t include a single woman. The five-person, all-male panel consists of a Roman Catholic Bishop, a Lutheran Reverend, a rabbi and two professors. 

Democrats on the panel were told they were allowed only one witness. They selected a young female Georgetown student, Sandra Fluke, who was going to discuss the repercussions of losing contraceptive coverage. But Representative Darrell Issa, the chairman, rejected her as “not qualified.”

When the hearing began this morning, the Democratic women on the committee walked out. Representative Elijah Cummings, the ranking Democrat, put out a statement blasting Issa:

It is inconceivable to me that you believe tomorrow’s hearing has no bearing on the reproductive rights of women. This Committee commits a massive injustice by trying to pretend that the views of millions of women across this country are meaningless, worthless, or irrelevant to this debate. […]

Even if you fundamentally disagree with Ms. Fluke’s viewpoint on this matter, you should not be afraid to hear it. A hearing stacked with last-minute witnesses who offer no competing views only contributes to the perception that our Committee is fostering a circus-like atmosphere intended to further politicize this debate.

The hearing will continue well into the afternoon, with a brief lunch break. You can watch a livestream here. We'll post more updates later.

UPDATE: At a press briefing this morning, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi called out Issa’s selective witness list. “What is it that men don’t understand about women’s health and how central the issue of family planning is to that?” she asked. “Where are the women? And that’s a good question for the whole debate. Where are the women. Imagine, having a panel on women’s health and then not having any women on the panel, duh!”

A committee spokeswoman reached out to me this afternoon, offering to correct the record on the witness list and rebuke Pelosi. “Rep. Pelosi is either ill informed or arrogantly dismissive of women who don’t share her views. Today’s hearing does in fact include two women, Dr. Allison Garrett of Oklahoma Christian University and Dr. Laura Champion of Calvin College Health Services.”

As I noted, it was the first panel that was woman-free. The second panel indeed has the two aforementioned women, though I will note both are testifying against the administration’s contraception policy. Also, Dr. Champion is the only one of now eleven witnesses who has any public health experience. 

UPDATE 2: Though Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown student, wasn't allowed to testify today, she did speak passionately about access to birth control at the National Press Club last week. You can watch her remarks here:

Quoting vic270:

my granddaughter is going thru those problems at this very moment. she is only 16 and is having a terrible time. she has been on her period for 4 months, they tried a hormone therapy for 10 days and it did ot work and now she goes to a regular gyn. in the meantime until she gets her app. the dr. put her on birth control. so don't think i don,t kow what i am talking about. i don't know what it is that you are wanting me to see. i listened to everything when the last election (presidental) and it was my choice to not like miss fluke,(mayby i should say what she stood for) not someone else saying anything. i can make my own mind up about someone without any help. i do hve a very open mind about everything but i also have a mind.i can say to you come right out and tell me what it is that you have a problem about me not understanding and i will give it another look. i read the article you sent but show me exactly what i am missing. thanks for your passion on this article but as of now we are not seeing it the same way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)