Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If Clay Aiken Can Handle 'American Idol,' He Can Handle Congress

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM
  • 7 Replies

If Clay Aiken Can Handle 'American Idol,' He Can Handle Congress

by Rebecca Stokes

Clay Aiken Clay Aiken confirmed the news today that he is indeed running for Congress in North Carolina. The former American Idol contestant (and fan favorite) released a touching (and very long, by Internet standards) video explaining the heart-wrenching reasons behind his decision to take action politically. It's hard not to already grant him your vote just after watching the thing -- he seems so sincere! But is he cut out for the job?

Celebrities moving from Hollywood careers into politics isn't anything new. There's an impressive list of successful politicians who started out as actors, singers, and even reality stars. The biggest success story (debatable) is the presidency of Ronald Reagan. We've also got the legacies of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the late Sonny Bono, Jesse Ventura, and Al Franken to name but a few. 

Aiken seems passionate about the position. He addresses his concerns about the state's current representative. He questions mainly her repeated votes FOR the government shutdown. He comes across in the video as well-educated and passionate about his state's needs. But does time in the spotlight and even experience as an educator necessarily translate into political cache? Maybe not.

The biggest thing Clay has going for him is how he handles his time on American Idol; he addresses it and moves past it. If nothing else the video he's released makes it clear that he takes this job seriously. Hopefully voters will look past his lack of practical government experience and take into account how his service work and activism apply to the task at hand. If the Terminator can run California, Aiken can surely handle North Carolina. 

Would you vote for Clay?

by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this

He lost on American Idol

He lost on Celebrity apprentice.

He will lose here.

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Why is no-one asking for his qualifications like they are sandra's - oh yea that's right she is a woman.

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Good for him. I am not in his state but if I were I'd have to learn more about him & his stances but possibly.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

No. i don't think he has the qualifications. 

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Umm one person replied to this post and you say that?  Well I guess that is proof because he is a man.  Wow

Quoting mikiemom:

Why is no-one asking for his qualifications like they are sandra's - oh yea that's right she is a woman.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

He is running for a HOUSE seat, so you would have to live in NC and in his district.

His district does not include Chapel Hill or Asheville - he has no chance.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Good for him. I am not in his state but if I were I'd have to learn more about him & his stances but possibly.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I will say that I used to see Clay's mother back in O'Charleys restaurant alot back when he was still famous, and she was really nice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)