Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Sandwich Chain Has Been Making Bread With Chemical Found in Yoga Mats?!

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

Sandwich Chain Has Been Making Bread With Chemical Found in Yoga Mats

by Adriana Velez

subwayNow you can have your yoga mat and NOT eat it too! Wait, no, that's weird. Now you don't have to eat a yoga mat when you eat a sub! No, that doesn't make sense. Oh well, I'll just say it: Subway will remove a chemical found in yoga mats from its bread. I know, right? That still sounds crazypants. Apparently the chain's sandwich bread contains a chemical called Azodiacarbonamide. And that happens to be a chemical found in yoga mats, too. Maybe it's what gives them both their spongy texture?

As a matter of fact, yes, that is what the chemical is used for. When used in foods, it's referred to as a "dough conditioner," but when used in things like sneaker soles, it's used to increase elasticity. When this ingredient was revealed by popular health blogger Vani Hari, people complained, and the rest is history. Well, Azodiacarbonamide is history.

More from The Stir: People Who Love the Smell of Subway Sandwiches Are Bonkers

Just as an aside, if I were to make up a crazy chemical name, I think I'd probably come up with Azodiacarbonamide. I mean, it has the word "zodiac" -- ZODIAC! Why? So weird. Anyway.

It's probably FDA-safe (which means it won't kill you today), so it's not like the chain has been poisoning people. Lord knows we eat all kinds of different chemicals every day.

I knew there was a reason why I don't like the bread smell of Subway. I'm in the minority, I know -- most people love it. I wonder if the smell will change? Will people still follow their noses? I would think if anything, the change in recipe would make the bread smell and taste better.

Do you care if your sandwich bread is made with Azodiac-whatever?

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Amanda on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM
That's nasty! Gag! I've been eating Subway lately too.
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Feb. 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I don't eat there very often, just once every 2-3 months, but this is gross and I'm really glad they're taking out that chemical, lol.

Quoting kcangel63: That's nasty! Gag! I've been eating Subway lately too.

kcangel63
by Amanda on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM
I didn't eat there for many years. I've never been a fan of their bread (funny enough). We started eating there more last year because it was next to the theatre where dh and I perform occasionally. Good thing I haven't had much since getting pregnant. Although I'm sure there are plenty of nasty chemicals in all kinds of foods we eat. :(

Quoting Cafe Steph:

I don't eat there very often, just once every 2-3 months, but this is gross and I'm really glad they're taking out that chemical, lol.

Quoting kcangel63: That's nasty! Gag! I've been eating Subway lately too.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Probably not all that harmful or even interesting.

The chemical H2o is in each of them too.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I'm not a subway fan..but alas..I'm not surprised..  Wonder if  bread companies use it...

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 3:49 PM

So that's why I like Subway so much!

I want to say one word to you. Just one word. Plastics. There's a great future in plastics. Think about it.

And I had thought it was the tuna and the veggies!!

Silly me.

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Yummy. Extra protein.
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:45 AM

In other news, a health food shop is discovered to be shipping almonds containg chemicals used in deadly poisons.

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Quoting Cafe Steph:

by Adriana Velez

a chemical called Azodiacarbonamide

Just as an aside, if I were to make up a crazy chemical name, I think I'd probably come up with Azodiacarbonamide. I mean, it has the word "zodiac" -- ZODIAC! Why? So weird. Anyway.

Do you care if your sandwich bread is made with Azodiac-whatever?

You can ignore anything Adriana Velez says - they discovered phosphorylated tyrosine residues in her brain.

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:53 AM

Sorrry, this sort of journalism really annoys me.

I don't know, off the top of my head, if this particular chemical was present in harmful or harmless levels.   And the article didn't tell me.

It used invald arguments, and just tried to scare and mock.

It praises ignorance.   It upholds 'factiness'.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN