Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Is Obama Good for Black Americans?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM
  • 21 Replies

Buried in a New York Times story about the economy was this arresting statistic: Median family income for black Americans has declined a whopping 10.9 percent during the Obama administration. It has declined for other groups as well -- 3.6 percent for non-Hispanic whites and 4.5 percent for Hispanics - but the figure for blacks is huge. This decline does not include losses suffered during the financial crisis and the recession that followed, but it instead measures declines since June 2009, when the recession officially ended.

That's not the only bad news for African-Americans. The poverty rate for blacks is now 25.8 percent. The black labor force participation rate, which rose throughout the 1980s and 1990s, has declined for the past decade and quite sharply under Obama to 61.4 percent. The black unemployment rate, according to Pew Research, stands at 13.4 percent. Among black, male, high school dropouts, PBS' Paul Salmon reports, the unemployment rate is a staggering 95 percent.

Does any of this affect the standing of the nation's first black president with black Americans? Not a whit, apparently. This is not to suggest that any president should gear his policies to one or another ethnic group. The president serves the nation as a whole, or should. But if unemployment, poverty and the black/white income gap had expanded under a different president to the degree is has under Obama (the income gap is now larger than it was under George W. Bush), it wouldn't go unreported and the president would not escape responsibility.

The advent of an African-American president surely brings psychic dividends to black Americans (and the rest of us, to a degree), but those intangibles may be pretty much all they get from his presidency. In terms of material prosperity, his leadership has delivered nothing but decline. He plays the psychological card very skillfully -- showboating his identification with Trayvon Martin and sticking up for Henry Louis Gates -- but more and more his gestures in this regard seem like substitutes for results.

Black poverty is up, employment is down and wealth is down. The dissolution of the black family continues unabated, with 72.3 percent of black children born to unmarried mothers. Black males constitute just 6 percent of the population yet comprise more than 40 percent of those incarcerated in state and federal prisons and jails. One-third of black men aged 20 to 29 are in the purview of the criminal justice system (incarcerated or on probation or parole).

The press resolutely ignores these figures, while the propaganda arm of the Democratic Party in Hollywood serves up distorted history to distract and pacify the public. The latest entry appears to be "The Butler," which misrepresents President Reagan (as I gather from those who've seen it) as, at best, insensitive to blacks, and at worst as racist. Eugene Allen, the actual White House butler on whom the film is supposedly based, kept signed photos of Ronald and Nancy Reagan in his living room (pictures of the other presidents he had served hung in the basement).

According to a 2008 Washington Post profile, Allen served eight presidents for 34 years until his retirement. He did not, as the movie portrays, resign to protest Reagan's policies on civil rights or South Africa. His wife happily reminisced to the Post about the time the couple were invited by the Reagans to attend a state dinner in honor of the West German chancellor. "Drank champagne that night," Mrs. Allen recalled with pleasure. The film apparently depicts the invitation as tokenism. The filmmakers also insert a horrific childhood "memory" for Allen -- his mother being raped and his father shot by a white landlord. Didn't happen.

Would it interest black moviegoers to know that under Ronald Reagan's policies, median African American household incomes increased by 84 percent (compared with 68 percent for whites)? The poverty rate dropped during the 1980s from 14 percent down to 11.6 percent. The black unemployment rate dropped by 9 percentage points. The number of black-owned businesses increased by 38 percent and receipts more than doubled.

Obama's economic record is dismal because he is inflexibly attached to the wrong ideas. Hollywood is, of course, free to worship at his tattered shrine. But to smear Reagan -- a man who deeply loathed bigotry in any form and actually improved the lives of all Americans including blacks -- in an attempt to prop up the drooping Obama standard, is contemptible. 

by on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM
6 moms liked this
The question should be " is Obama good for Americans". Race shouldn't play a part.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Feb. 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Being half black he had a great opportunity to help in the racial divide..he didn't he made it worse..and frankly I think a lot of people are going to have a hard time electing another black president for a long time..just because we have seen the "Trayvon Martin could have been my son"..and/or his making a public ta do about the police arresting his black friend.. not to mention economical he has done squat (imo) for this country.. AND Benghazi will NOT be forgotten.. I still cringe over that tax payer paid video he  came up with..smh..  Now..some of the blacks are stepping up and complaining about Mr. Obama..should have read THE RED FLAGS first time around..and he was elected HOW many times.. Yea..some people just don't get it until it's IN their face..  Good ol Obama was suppose to HELP them.. I think the only ones that got GOOD deals in this country so far is Obama's ILLEGAL relatiives..

vic270
by Vic on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

this is so true, even though i did not vote for him,(never would have) i honestly thought he would bring some unity to this country. if he had have been serious about his presidency he would have put this country first like he swore on the bible to do. he could have been the best president in history if he had, instead where ever he could cause division that was where you could find him. he is a very selfish human being and everyone should have known by the company he kept (as far back as they could trace him) how he would lead. he is the most irresponsible man i have ever heard of, at least every now and then even a teenager will own up to something. anyway eds you said that the ones that have benefited was his illegal relatives, i also think a lot of his close friends and for some reason i remember the video footage that was running when he made the deal with the devil(Vladimir Putin) and i'm still wondering what he got out of it.  

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Being half black he had a great opportunity to help in the racial divide..he didn't he made it worse..and frankly I think a lot of people are going to have a hard time electing another black president for a long time..just because we have seen the "Trayvon Martin could have been my son"..and/or his making a public ta do about the police arresting his black friend.. not to mention economical he has done squat (imo) for this country.. AND Benghazi will NOT be forgotten.. I still cringe over that tax payer paid video he  came up with..smh..  Now..some of the blacks are stepping up and complaining about Mr. Obama..should have read THE RED FLAGS first time around..and he was elected HOW many times.. Yea..some people just don't get it until it's IN their face..  Good ol Obama was suppose to HELP them.. I think the only ones that got GOOD deals in this country so far is Obama's ILLEGAL relatiives..

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:40 PM
3 moms liked this
I think the two of you are giving him way to much credit.

He never intended to unite anyone, he never intended to help anyone (except himself) he has no marketable skills other than reading words written by someone for him.

He has no experience, he's has never had a job where results were required.

He sees everything in terms of race, even pulled the race card on Bill Clinton in the primaries.

He is a quota hire.

Has anyone read that book - Great Quota Hires throughout history?

No, me neither.

gabenmikeysmom
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this
All I could think was "was hitler good for germans?"

I realize its not the same but made me lol none the less.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting vic270:

this is so true, even though i did not vote for him,(never would have) i honestly thought he would bring some unity to this country. if he had have been serious about his presidency he would have put this country first like he swore on the bible to do. he could have been the best president in history if he had, instead where ever he could cause division that was where you could find him. he is a very selfish human being and everyone should have known by the company he kept (as far back as they could trace him) how he would lead. he is the most irresponsible man i have ever heard of, at least every now and then even a teenager will own up to something. anyway eds you said that the ones that have benefited was his illegal relatives, i also think a lot of his close friends and for some reason i remember the video footage that was running when he made the deal with the devil(Vladimir Putin) and i'm still wondering what he got out of it.  

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Agree..  Who knows what Putin got out of it..I actually think Putin laughs at him behind his back..and lets face it..two wrongs (obama and putin) don't make a right. His friends (imo) were placed in the adminstration to help his agenda and to protect him.  Reminds me of that movie with the HIVE..and you know nothing good was being "created"..and/or worked on..in the HIVE...  They even created "guardians" for the hive also...  Only "evil" things came out of it and it ended up destroying the world..  Yep..Obee and his Hive..going to create havoc in this country...and it wont be pretty.. Usually when there's a screw up ( as in a lightbulb)..people would normally say.."you were right" and try to FIX the problem..but no..screw up after screw now people will  just say.. "can't go back..have to move forward"..  If you don't change the BLOWN out light bulb and you (general you) put a cheap one in place in the FIRST place..how can you MOVE on in the dark.. SMH. with the mentallity of  some of the people in the U.S. these days..

rmgriffberg
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM
4 moms liked this

He isnt good for any american!

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

What exactly are you expecting the President to do?  I have looked through the responsibilties and powers granted the President of the United States, as written in the Consitution, and I just cannot find anything that says he has the power to force companies to higher and pay black Americans more money.  

But to answer your question about whether or not he is good for Black Americans: 

I would have to say yes, purely from a social psychology perspective.  There is a considerable lack of Black Americans being represented in positive roles present in media.  That effects the hopes and dreams of many a young childs mind. Now however they will know that is quite possible for  them to be anything even the President of the United States.  

Quote:

Section. 2.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Section. 3.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Section. 4.

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

vic270
by Vic on Feb. 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

i think he and putin laugh at ppl behind their backs, when i read decision points by george bush, he made it plain what kind of peson that putin was and obama and putin are about two of a kind, except putin don't  hide his. obama don't either he just thinks everyone is that stupid. they are both so arrogant.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Agree..  Who knows what Putin got out of it..I actually think Putin laughs at him behind his back..and lets face it..two wrongs (obama and putin) don't make a right. His friends (imo) were placed in the adminstration to help his agenda and to protect him.  Reminds me of that movie with the HIVE..and you know nothing good was being "created"..and/or worked on..in the HIVE...  They even created "guardians" for the hive also...  Only "evil" things came out of it and it ended up destroying the world..  Yep..Obee and his Hive..going to create havoc in this country...and it wont be pretty.. Usually when there's a screw up ( as in a lightbulb)..people would normally say.."you were right" and try to FIX the problem..but no..screw up after screw now people will  just say.. "can't go back..have to move forward"..  If you don't change the BLOWN out light bulb and you (general you) put a cheap one in place in the FIRST place..how can you MOVE on in the dark.. SMH. with the mentallity of  some of the people in the U.S. these days..

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 6:06 AM

The middle class and the poor(black and white) arent doing well because of republican obstruction in congress.President Obama has to use executive orders just to get anything done to help the average American.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN