Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Pro-Life Leader Calls Wendy Davis's Reversal on Abortion Ban 'Political Desperation'

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM
  • 64 Replies
3 moms liked this

The president of the pro-life Susan B. Anthony List (SBA-List) said Wednesday that Texas gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis’s sudden support of a ban on late-term abortions is simply “political desperation.”

Marjorie Dannenfelser of SBA-List said in a press release:

National and Texas-based polling shows Wendy Davis’ extreme abortion position is repellant to voters, including women, young people, and Hispanics. Most Americans simply can’t stomach the brutality of late abortion and are moving towards compassionate, common ground limits. Only political desperation could cause Davis to try to give the appearance of moving with them, while at the same time maintaining abortion as her ‘sacred ground,’ and eviscerating the goals of the legislation.

As Breitbart News’s Frances Martel reported, Davis, who became a rock star of the left after a filibuster in the Texas state Senate of a proposed ban on abortions past 20 weeks of pregnancy, now states she supports such bans and that abortions at that stage should be limited to situations in which the health of the mother was gravely at stake or the child had clear fetal abnormalities.

In August, Breitbart News reported that Davis, channeling House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, said abortion is “sacred ground” and a fundamental necessity for women’s “liberty.”

SBA-List states that according to Dr. Martin Haskell, the pioneer of the partial-birth abortion procedure, the majority of the roughly 18,000 post-20 week abortions performed annually in the United States are for elective reasons, with only 20 percent involving fetal defects.

Davis’s abrupt support of abortion bans comes in the wake of a string of other inconsistencies and falsehoods tied to a woman whose political identity appears chameleon-like.

by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jobseeker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

wendy davis is a lying conniving whore of a woman

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM
6 moms liked this

I had a late term abortion over 20 yrs ago. I was ignorant about motherhood, I was ignorant about pregnancy, I was ignorant about fetuses and I was certainly sorry and scared.  I bear the responsibility of my sins. But the people in my life with more experience (parents) and the people in my life who were supposedly learned experts (doctors) did little to nothing to educate me about those things, not even to present the facts so I could make a fair and balanced decision. All of society kind of puts up their hands and says, "You want an abortion? Ok, we make it happen." All, of course, except the protestors outside the clinic. How I wish I'd listened to them instead of paranoid people who think a child could ever possibly ever ruin your life. I seriously feel sick to my stomach if I think about what actually happened that I shut my eyes to deny at the time, while I was on that hospital gurney.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Only someone like Marjorie Dannenfelser would call Davis's position "extreme".  The 20 week ban had extremely limiting language that provided no exceptions for many corner cases that would have left victims of rape & incest with no options, as well as women who's children were facing severe defects.

And her opposition was never to the ban itself but to it's limiting language - and much more so to the other facets of SB 5,

To think she reversed her opinion, you'd have to be pretty out of the loop.

Or....  twisting facts.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM

So, you made that was wrong for you and now you regret it.

If you were so immature that at 20 weeks gestation you had no idea of what was going on in your uterus, and NOBODY noticed that and filled you in, I don't know what to tell ya.  Thankfully, most people actually know, and if they don't, it's caught pretty quickly by medical staff.

Quoting buttersworth:

I had a late term abortion over 20 yrs ago. I was ignorant about motherhood, I was ignorant about pregnancy, I was ignorant about fetuses and I was certainly sorry and scared.  I bear the responsibility of my sins. But the people in my life with more experience (parents) and the people in my life who were supposedly learned experts (doctors) did little to nothing to educate me about those things, not even to present the facts so I could make a fair and balanced decision. All of society kind of puts up their hands and says, "You want an abortion? Ok, we make it happen." All, of course, except the protestors outside the clinic. How I wish I'd listened to them instead of paranoid people who think a child could ever possibly ever ruin your life. I seriously feel sick to my stomach if I think about what actually happened that I shut my eyes to deny at the time, while I was on that hospital gurney.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM

BUMP!

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

It was a heart-wrenching decision that was not made lightly. I understood but did not fully absorb that this was a complete life, because I looked at it more objectively as a "fetus" that was not fully a person yet., as many people do. For this, I was ignorant.

I believed I was doing the right thing ultimately for a number of reasons, and yes, on the surface, that would still ring true. Given the circumstances I thought it was the humane thing to do at that point. But I was compromised because of what little experience I had in life, being so young.

And I waited to do it because I was desperately trying to keep the baby but had no job, no home, and no outside financial support. My parents did not want me to have the baby and they would've been my only financial support.

A welfare office wouldn't help me. They wouldn't even talk to me and I was sitting in a staff-filled office face to to face.

Right to Life told me not to have an abortion, but had no suggestions how I was even going to get pre-natal medical assistance. They just said, literally, "Don't have an abortion" and then when I asked them what I could do to keep my pregnancy, there was silence.

Doctors did not interject their personal feelings. Not sure they should, but just saying they didn't.

If I was able to get assistance from family or charity, I would have had that baby.

So I knew what the procedure entailed, of course! The clinics have a counselor who sits down with you right before the surgery and explains exactly what they will do. I was listening but parts of me were shutting it out. Because for me, there were few options. And what they do? It's horrendous. It does sound more like murder than a surgical procedure - because it is. It is legalized murder. All that stuff you heard about that abortion doctor doing, in the news? That's what they do.

Have YOU ever had one?

My response here isn't about me or my regret. I'm using my experience and my regret to tell you - abortion would be less of an option for women if they forced themselves to face what they were doing, and if they had support from their society, communities, and families.

The fact that we talk about abortion as a political thing and a legal thing, we are desensitized to what it actually is, what actualy occurs. Much of our whole society has embraced it or accepted it. We accept it more readilly than we would accept our 16 year old having a child and accepting that grandchild as our responsibility. We accept abortion more readilly than we would accept that a woman may not be able to graduate high school right away. Or might have to wait 10 years to go to college. Or won't be well off.

We tell young women, "If you get pregnant when you're too young, you'll ruin your life. You won't have any opportunities, no chances, you'll be stuck in a perpetual cycle of poverty."

So our remedy for this is destroying the unfortunate unborn?

We need to change the way our society thinks. Not just about abortion, but about children, families, people, education. Children are not a scourge in any circumstance.  They only can be seen as one if our society says that there's only one way to succeed, one road there, one acceptable kind of success.

As an adult I came to realize, that if my own education had been interrupted, big deal. There are years to recoupe that. We truly tell high school students that their lives rest on graduating at age 18 and going directly to college or trade school - and if they dont, it's disaster. That's a lie, and we all believe it to some degree or think when this flow gets interrupted we're screwed.

Everyone uses rape or incest as the reasons. While that exists, that's the rarity! It's bullshit to make that sound like the majority for those having abortions.

Most women have abortions because they were teenagers having sex. They got pregnant so now their parents know they were having sex. They are then ashamed of that, and now scared because they don't have the slightest clue how to be parents. They've been groomed their whole lives to worship formal education and it's aims, and know very little about how to balance a checkbook or change a diaper.  And nowadays, most of them don't even have their license yet or work. That new little tidbit right there is a big blow to the unborn, because you're going to have more pregnant teenagers who aren't old enough to get a license yet and be able to drive themselves to work, if they can find it.

I take responsibility for my ultimate decision and I do regret it. But I'm older now and I can look back and see where my family - and society- had a role in the decision that I made. It was not a positive role.

Our society is not family oriented. It is not people oriented. It is greed and "me" oriented. We teach our children to be like that, because we were taught to be like that, and many of us do not even realize that this is the paradigm from which we came, and that we are currently in.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

If you were so immature that at 20 weeks gestation you had no idea of what was going on in your uterus, and NOBODY noticed that and filled you in, I don't know what to tell ya.  Thankfully, most people actually know, and if they don't, it's caught pretty quickly by medical staff.

Quoting buttersworth:

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:29 AM

A 2nd trimester abortion is incredibly expensive and rare, even 20 years ago - it's not a procedure done by most clinics.  If you were that broke, how on earth were you able to afford it?  How far did you have to travel?

You were poor, homeless, and had no money. 

Quoting buttersworth:

It was a heart-wrenching decision that was not made lightly. I understood but did not fully absorb that this was a complete life, because I looked at it more objectively as a "fetus" that was not fully a person yet., as many people do. For this, I was ignorant.

I believed I was doing the right thing ultimately for a number of reasons, and yes, on the surface, that would still ring true. Given the circumstances I thought it was the humane thing to do at that point. But I was compromised because of what little experience I had in life, being so young.

And I waited to do it because I was desperately trying to keep the baby but had no job, no home, and no outside financial support. My parents did not want me to have the baby and they would've been my only financial support.

A welfare office wouldn't help me. They wouldn't even talk to me and I was sitting in a staff-filled office face to to face.

Right to Life told me not to have an abortion, but had no suggestions how I was even going to get pre-natal medical assistance. They just said, literally, "Don't have an abortion" and then when I asked them what I could do to keep my pregnancy, there was silence.

Doctors did not interject their personal feelings. Not sure they should, but just saying they didn't.

If I was able to get assistance from family or charity, I would have had that baby.

So I knew what the procedure entailed, of course! The clinics have a counselor who sits down with you right before the surgery and explains exactly what they will do. I was listening but parts of me were shutting it out. Because for me, there were few options. And what they do? It's horrendous. It does sound more like murder than a surgical procedure - because it is. It is legalized murder. All that stuff you heard about that abortion doctor doing, in the news? That's what they do.

Have YOU ever had one?

My response here isn't about me or my regret. I'm using my experience and my regret to tell you - abortion would be less of an option for women if they forced themselves to face what they were doing, and if they had support from their society, communities, and families.

The fact that we talk about abortion as a political thing and a legal thing, we are desensitized to what it actually is, what actualy occurs. Much of our whole society has embraced it or accepted it. We accept it more readilly than we would accept our 16 year old having a child and accepting that grandchild as our responsibility. We accept abortion more readilly than we would accept that a woman may not be able to graduate high school right away. Or might have to wait 10 years to go to college. Or won't be well off.

We tell young women, "If you get pregnant when you're too young, you'll ruin your life. You won't have any opportunities, no chances, you'll be stuck in a perpetual cycle of poverty."

We need to change the way our society thinks. Not just about abortion, but about children, families, people, education. Children are not a scourge in any circumstance.  They only can be seen as one if our society says that there's only one way to succeed, one road there, one acceptable kind of success.

As an adult I came to realize, that if my own education had been interrupted, big deal. There are years to recoupe that. We truly tell high school students that their lives rest on graduating at age 18 and going directly to college or trade school - and if they dont, it's disaster. That's a lie, and we all believe it to some degree or think when this flow gets interrupted we're screwed.

Everyone uses rape or incest as the reasons. While that exists, that's the rarity! It's bullshit to make that sound like the majority for those having abortions.

Most women have abortions because they were teenagers having sex. They got pregnant so now their parents know they were having sex. They are then ashamed of that, and now scared because they don't have the slightest clue how to be parents. They've been groomed their whole lives to worship formal education and it's aims, and know very little about how to balance a checkbook or change a diaper.  And nowadays, most of them don't even have their license yet or work. That new little tidbit right there is a big blow to the unborn, because you're going to have more pregnant teenagers who aren't old enough to get a license yet and be able to drive themselves to work, if they can find it.

I take responsibility for my ultimate decision and I do regret it. But I'm older now and I can look back and see where my family - and society- had a role in the decision that I made. It was not a positive role.

Our society is not family oriented. It is not people oriented. It is greed and "me" oriented. We teach our children to be like that, because we were taught to be like that, and many of us do not even realize that this is the paradigm from which we came, and that we are currently in.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting buttersworth:

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this

11,000 late term abortions take place every year in America.  That doesn't seem rare to me.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

A 2nd trimester abortion is incredibly expensive and rare, even 20 years ago - it's not a procedure done by most clinics.  If you were that broke, how on earth were you able to afford it?  How far did you have to travel?

You were poor, homeless, and had no money. 

Quoting buttersworth:

Have YOU ever had one?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Quoting buttersworth:

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

You can't look back on yesterday's decisions with today's knowledge. You did what you thought best at the time. That's it period. 

Things have changed in 20years. Childless couples pay medical expenses for moms that are brave enough to allow someone else to adopt their child. This wasn't done 20 years ago. 

I realize it's easier said than done, but you can't keep beating yourself up over it. 

I don't think there's a decision anyone made 20 years ago, that looking back, had they known then what they know now would hesitate to change it. 

Everything happens for a reason, chances are if you kept that baby you wouldn't have the children and the life you have now. 

Personally I'm not a fan of abortion, never had one. But I'm even less of a fan of telling another woman what to do with her body, her life. 

Quoting buttersworth:

Have YOU ever had one?

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!!

Quoting 143myboys9496:

You can't look back on yesterday's decisions with today's knowledge. You did what you thought best at the time. That's it period. 

Things have changed in 20years. Childless couples pay medical expenses for moms that are brave enough to allow someone else to adopt their child. This wasn't done 20 years ago. 

I realize it's easier said than done, but you can't keep beating yourself up over it. 

I don't think there's a decision anyone made 20 years ago, that looking back, had they known then what they know now would hesitate to change it. 

Everything happens for a reason, chances are if you kept that baby you wouldn't have the children and the life you have now. 

Personally I'm not a fan of abortion, never had one. But I'm even less of a fan of telling another woman what to do with her body, her life. 

Quoting buttersworth:

Have YOU ever had one?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)