Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Nagin Guilty

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:20 AM
  • 8 Replies

Ray Nagin was convicted Wednesday of accepting bribes and free trips from contractors in exchange for helping them clinch millions of dollars in city work when he was mayor of New Orleans.

Prosecutors in the federal corruption case alleged Nagin took bribes worth more than $500,000 through various criminal acts, starting before Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005 and continuing through the storm's recovery.

Nagin was indicted in January 2013 on charges he took hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes and accepted loads of free granite for his family business, in exchange for promoting the interests of a New Orleans businessman.

His attorney, Robert Jenkins, said after the verdict that his client plans to appeal.

Nagin, a Democrat who was mayor for two terms from 2002 to 2010, denied he took any bribes. He faced a 21-count indictment, and was found guilty of 20 counts. The counts ranged from conspiracy to filing a false tax return.

Read the indictment

One of the most egregious charges Nagin was found guilty of was accepting $60,000 from an engineering firm, Three Fold Consulting, in exchange for special treatment. The lone charge he was found not guilty of was a separate bribery charge: accepting a $10,000 bribe arranged by a principal in Three Fold Consultants.

Walking out of the courthouse arm-in-arm with his wife after the verdict, Nagin told reporters, "I maintain my innocence."

Nagin, 57, faces more than 20 years in prison, with no provision for parole. His sentencing date has not yet been set. U.S. District Judge Ginger Berrigan ordered him to be under house arrest until the sentencing, WDSU in New Orleans reported.

by on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
supermonstermom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

not shocking

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 13, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I find it completely interesting because of his comments he accused GWB for.  Ass.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this
Nagin and William J. Jefferson (corrupt LA congressman) should be cell mates.
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Nagin Guilty good

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I have 4 brothers. One is a staunch Democrat. He lived in New Orleans for 13 yrs til he moved to Joliet near Chicago. He lived in NO when the hurricane hit & when Nagin was Mayor. He admitted to me for the first time he voted for a Republican Governor. Bobby Jindal. He said NO & the state is a mess. Nagin is corrupt. 

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Smart man

Quoting blondekosmic15:

I have 4 brothers. One is a staunch Democrat. He lived in New Orleans for 13 yrs til he moved to Joliet near Chicago. He lived in NO when the hurricane hit & when Nagin was Mayor. He admitted to me for the first time he voted for a Republican Governor. Bobby Jindal. He said NO & the state is a mess. Nagin is corrupt. 

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

One step @ a time. He's still a progressive liberal but hoping he will change someday. We're very close in spite of our political differences. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Smart man

Quoting blondekosmic15:

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

They tend to smarten up when they get older.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

One step @ a time. He's still a progressive liberal but hoping he will change someday. We're very close in spite of our political differences. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Smart man

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)