Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

An Alleged Case of Textbook Bias So ‘Outrageous’ That One Student Says ‘People Need to Know About It’

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Eds
  • 13 Replies

An Alleged Case of Textbook Bias So ‘Outrageous’ That One Student Says ‘People Need to Know About It’

An university-assigned textbook that appears to suggest former President Ronald Reagan was a sexist and says conservatives view individuals as lazy and corrupt is under fire from at least one student.

“This is really outrageous,” Anna Chapman, a University of South Carolina student in the class, told Campus Reform. “[I]t’s so in your facem people need to know about it.”

“This is outrageous. It’s so in your face, people need to know about it.”
Share:

The textbook, authored by Karen K. Kirst-Ashman, was allegedly assigned reading for the school’s three-credit course titled, “Introduction to Social Work Profession and Social Welfare.”

The university did not return multiple requests for comment from TheBlaze, but Chapman told Campus Reform no other readings that provided a counter political viewpoint were assigned.

Instead, students in the class were forced to read about “conservative extremes in the 1980s and early 1990s.”

Image source: Campus Reform

“Conservatives ‘tend to take a basically pessimistic view of human nature. People are conceived of as being, self-centered, lazy and incapable of true charity,’” the textbook says.

In another section, it says Reagan “ascribed to women primarily domestic functions,” ignoring his appointment of Sandra Day O’Connor as the first female Supreme Court Justice and his appointment of Jeane Kirkpatrick, the first female representative to the United Nations.

“He viewed American males as rugged individualists who could accomplish almost anything if they tried,” the textbook says. “Similarly, he ascribed to women ‘primarily domestic functions’ and failed to appoint many women to significant positions of power during his presidency.”

“I can not even tell you how angry I was when I read that,” Chapman told Campus Reform.

The textbook further says that wealthy individuals “find that having a social class of poor people is useful.”

by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gludwig2000
by Gina on Feb. 17, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I do not agree with this at all, because our text books should teach the facts, not impart opinions or bias.

Susan0805
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Reagan a conservative extremist? Lol. He was an actor for goodness sake. I read a book about him and I think he was mostly pretty remarkable.
29again
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Whoever authored that description of conservatism obviously does not know a conservative. 

squeekers
Bill the Cat
Yesterday at 10:54 PM
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM

yeah like all textbooks are meant to be believed, just look at the science books in the South that say creationism is the right & true thing since 'the planet is only 6000 yrs old'.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Truth is there are very few actual "facts" in the world, and books are written by people.

This type of bias is very common.

Quoting gludwig2000:

I do not agree with this at all, because our text books should teach the facts, not impart opinions or bias.

Those that can do, do. Those that can't do, teach ~ or report about it.
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM

There is a lack of comparing what the philosophy was to what actually occurred.   The text book is correct but lacks depth.  Does not explain the economic or political theories.  It needs revision so a student will be cognizant of the processes and thinking involved.   There are new information that has shed light on many economic practices.

It is necessary to explain regressive and progressive theories of taxation.  While factually correct the lack of good writing and breakdown in a complex world is not acceptable.

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM

These are correct theories that have worked, but the entire theory needs to be in place.  One problem is that economic and social theory has not been taught well and most teachers are not experts on this.  Another problem is that students need to have the source material to investigate and run statistical analysis.  Since much of this is history it is very possible to compare what a politician says and what the policies and actions actually were and the effect that they had on the population.

It is amusing to find a man like Reagn was "sexist".  When any man of his age and the profession he was in would be by today's standards would be considered sexist anyway.  Comparing social rules of today's PC climate to that of 50 or more years ago is silly

Quoting gludwig2000:

funny_girl3
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Lol!  Since this matches my own opinion of conservatives I have to say I agree.  Including that Reagan was sexist.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:19 AM

If this was a 'womens studies' class, the text book would be fine.  I don't think this book is appropriate for the course.  The proper text book would be one filled with facts and statistics.

supermonstermom
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

If this was a 'womens studies' class, the text book would be fine.  I don't think this book is appropriate for the course.  The proper text book would be one filled with facts and statistics.

It isn't true though, so why would it be ok n a womens studies class?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)