Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

SMH: 1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Survey Says

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:52 PM
  • 37 Replies

A quarter of Americans surveyed could not correctly answer that the Earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around, according to a report out Friday from the National Science Foundation.

The survey of 2,200 people in the United States was conducted by the NSF in 2012 and released on Friday at an annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

To the question "Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth," 26 percent of those surveyed answered incorrectly.

In the same survey, just 39 percent answered correctly (true) that "The universe began with a huge explosion" and only 48 percent said "Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals."

Just over half understood that antibiotics are not effective against viruses.

As alarming as some of those deficits in science knowledge might appear, Americans fared better on several of the questions than similar, but older surveys of their Chinese and European counterparts.

Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy answer correctly. However, both China and the EU fared significantly better (66 percent and 70 percent, respectively) on the question about human evolution.

In a survey compiled by the National Opinion Research Center from various sources, Americans seemed to generally support science research and expressed the greatest interest in new medical discoveries and local school issues related to science. They were least interested in space exploration, agricultural developments and international and foreign policy issues related to science.

by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Its.me.Sam.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:54 PM

i swear.. i have seen this before and it it.. unnerving.  but also not shocking..there are some 5k members of 'the flat earth society'.  yeah.  fucking weird. lol

VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't forget about the "the earth is only 6000 years old" camp.

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i swear.. i have seen this before and it it.. unnerving.  but also not shocking..there are some 5k members of 'the flat earth society'.  yeah.  fucking weird. lol

Its.me.Sam.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM

the biggest camp of all lol
i cant undersand how people can believe that stuff  i just cant. 

Quoting VoodooVixen:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Ignorance is bliss

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

the biggest camp of all lol
i cant undersand how people can believe that stuff  i just cant. 

Quoting VoodooVixen:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

It baffles me.  I can't even watch the segments that Jay Leno used to have when they asked basic questions on the street.  These people vote and raise children and (in some cases) manage people at work.  I don't find this humorous.  I find the ignorance / stupidity really frightening.  

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

John Stewart, Jimmy Kimmel and Jesse Waters do this same thing.  I just caught a minute of one from Jimmy Kimmel, I think it was.  A 'roving reporter' went up to some people and announced that FDR had just died and how did the person feel about this.  Several of them said what a wonderful person he was, and how sad that he has died.  They didn't have a clue.

These routines might be funny on the surface, but it just blows my mind that schools apparently aren't teaching history any more.  These people actually have the freedom to vote.  I say bring back the test for voting, only this time....everyone must take it.  If you're that freaking ignorant, you shouldn't be allowed to vote for dog catcher.

Quoting Analeigh2012:

It baffles me.  I can't even watch the segments that Jay Leno used to have when they asked basic questions on the street.  These people vote and raise children and (in some cases) manage people at work.  I don't find this humorous.  I find the ignorance / stupidity really frightening.  

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I was watching Bill O tonight and he showed that segment about FDR dying.  One woman actually said she loved following him on Twitter.  

I am not a fan of The Onion either - I think it is in poor taste since people have no idea it is made up.  Too much on the internet is fake, this is truly the "dumbing down of America"!

Quoting grandmab125:

John Stewart, Jimmy Kimmel and Jesse Waters do this same thing.  I just caught a minute of one from Jimmy Kimmel, I think it was.  A 'roving reporter' went up to some people and announced that FDR had just died and how did the person feel about this.  Several of them said what a wonderful person he was, and how sad that he has died.  They didn't have a clue.

These routines might be funny on the surface, but it just blows my mind that schools apparently aren't teaching history any more.  These people actually have the freedom to vote.  I say bring back the test for voting, only this time....everyone must take it.  If you're that freaking ignorant, you shouldn't be allowed to vote for dog catcher.

Quoting Analeigh2012:

VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM
2 moms liked this

It's satire.  Satire is usually only seen as humorous by intelligent people.  Idiots believe everything that is written.  

Scary indeed.  

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I was watching Bill O tonight and he showed that segment about FDR dying.  One woman actually said she loved following him on Twitter.  

I am not a fan of The Onion either - I think it is in poor taste since people have no idea it is made up.  Too much on the internet is fake, this is truly the "dumbing down of America"!

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Oh, I get that it is satire
And I have a sense of humor

There is a large group in this country that don't understand it's satire - they think its true.

Another example circulating again is about Sarah Palin. She has said some mighty stupid things. There are plenty of quotes that people could attack her intelligence over. What do they do? They have latched on to a statement made by Tina Fey on SNL and attribute it to Sarah Palin. They believe SP really said she could see Russia from her house / front porch when that is NOT what she said. Shows like SNK and sites like The Onion have a responsibility (in my opinion) to clearly make the reader / watcher understand what they are saying isn't factual news but rather satire or plain humor.

Quoting VoodooVixen:

It's satire.  Satire is usually only seen as humorous by intelligent people.  Idiots believe everything that is written.  

Scary indeed.  

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM

That is just like saying that Obama is to blame for Hurrican Katrina.  The dumbing down of America is happening now and I am scared...very scared.

Quoting Analeigh2012: Oh, I get that it is satire
And I have a sense of humor

There is a large group in this country that don't understand it's satire - they think its true.

Another example circulating again is about Sarah Palin. She has said some mighty stupid things. There are plenty of quotes that people could attack her intelligence over. What do they do? They have latched on to a statement made by Tina Fey on SNL and attribute it to Sarah Palin. They believe SP really said she could see Russia from her house / front porch when that is NOT what she said. Shows like SNK and sites like The Onion have a responsibility (in my opinion) to clearly make the reader / watcher understand what they are saying isn't factual news but rather satire or plain humor.

Quoting VoodooVixen:

Scary indeed.  

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)