Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Unemployed White Men And Women Need Not Apply

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM
  • 75 Replies

WASHINGTON -- President Obama is planning to introduce an initiative with specific targets: African-American and Hispanic men who have disproportionate rates of unemployment.

Under the "My Brother's Keeper" program, foundations, businesses and community groups would develop plans to help men of color at particularly vulnerable times of their lives, administration officials said.

In previewing the initiative during last month's State of the Union address, Obama said, "I'm reaching out to some of America's leading foundations and corporations on a new initiative to help more young men of color facing tough odds stay on track and reach their full potential."

Obama had planned to hold a White House event last week to officially present the project, but it has been postponed because of bad weather.

Among the challenges faced by the "My Brother's Keeper" program: The jobless rate for black men older than 20 in January was 12 percent, compared with 6.6 percent for the nation as a whole.

For Hispanic men older than 20, the jobless rate last month was 8.2 percent.

For younger blacks and Hispanics, unemployment rates are even higher.

One model for the new effort is a mentoring program in Chicago called "Becoming A Man," which encourages young men to develop education and job training goals.

In a meeting with Obama a year ago, members of the BAM program talked about problems with gangs, drugs, gun violence and substandard schools in their neighborhoods, and how so many young people are at risk for lives of crime, poverty or early death.

Speaking after that meeting, the nation's first African-American president, who grew up with an absent father, said he told the group, "I had issues, too, when I was their age. I just had an environment that was a little more forgiving."

Just as individuals have to change their approach and behavior, Obama said, "that's what it takes for communities to change. That's what it takes for countries to change. It's not easy."

Young men in the BAM program are expected to attend the White House ceremony whenever it is re-scheduled.

Two Obama administration officials discussed the "My Brother's Keeper" program on condition of anonymity so as not to pre-empt Obama's announcement

by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM

As a woman, I'm okay with that.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Boom!

Not the baby daddy!

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Those that can do, do. Those that can't do, teach ~ or report about it.
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM
7 moms liked this

Unemployed is unemployed regardless of skin color..Obama  just as well have said.."all these men  could be  my sons"..SMH

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM
6 moms liked this

Ditto.  As a white middle class American born to two college educated adults who had a healthy relationship, I understand that I have a much greater chance at success.  It does not bother me when the less privileged classes are afforded opportunities to better themselves and their children.  

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM
3 moms liked this

When I was young my mom would turn Green stamps in at the market for stuff.

Is there a store somewhere that keeps track of when people say stuff like this and you can get a prize or something?

Quoting timeforprogress:

Ditto.  As a white middle class American born to two college educated adults who had a healthy relationship, I understand that I have a much greater chance at success.  It does not bother me when the less privileged classes are afforded opportunities to better themselves and their children.  

Quoting MsDenuninani:

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope.  Is there a prize for nonsense responses?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Is there a store somewhere that keeps track of when people say stuff like this and you can get a prize or something?

Quoting timeforprogress:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Whaa?  I don't mind playing, but I honestly have no idea what joke you're making here.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Boom!

Not the baby daddy!

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Sawry!

The Maury Show got st st st st stuck in my head.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Whaa?  I don't mind playing, but I honestly have no idea what joke you're making here.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Boom!

Not the baby daddy!

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I can check.

How many have you made?

Quoting timeforprogress:

Nope.  Is there a prize for nonsense responses?

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting timeforprogress:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Makes sense.  That's the exact sensibility I imagine would feel right at home there.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Sawry!

The Maury Show got st st st st stuck in my head.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Boom!

Not the baby daddy!

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN