Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you believe in..

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM
  • 80 Replies

Do you believe in the right of any religious person denying to provide a service based on their religious convictions?

Recently we have seen gays being denied service based on the convictions of a Christian baker. 

What if it was you who was being discriminated against? Oh let's say a Muslim restaurant owner refuses to serve "infidels"? Still cool?

How about a doctor who refuses to treat people who don't follow his or her religion? 

Careful what you wish for. You may be next to get the hate.

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Feb. 25, 2014 at 4:39 PM
4 moms liked this

Proud2baMuslim
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh holy fuck here we go with the Christian word from the Latin language "infidels" being associated with Muslims again. We don't use the term "infidel" that is a Christian term..

To answer your question no I do not agree with it. In all of my families Muslim owned establishments... insurance agencies, gas stations, cosmetic stores, distribution ware houses never has any one been discriminated of service for any reason.

I have have had several customers who were quite obviously gay couples and they receive the same polite service as every other customer. To be honest they are usually more polite, easier to accommodate and more respectful then other customers

Sister_Someone
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM
8 moms liked this

I believe in the right of ANY privately-owned business of any kind to choose whom they wish to serve, on any grounds.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:26 PM

But they are always saying that Muslims would also discriminate against gays. They say that the religion doesn't tolerate homosexuals at all. 

Btw I just used that term cause I didn't know what else to use to show them the flip side of the coin. 

I see it being fine as long as they are not the ones being discriminated against. 

So as a Muslim you do not consider providing services to people who "sin" according to your religion..you don't see that as "accepting" that lifestyle or sin?

Quoting Proud2baMuslim:

Oh holy fuck here we go with the Christian word from the Latin language "infidels" being associated with Muslims again. We don't use the term "infidel" that is a Christian term..

To answer your question no I do not agree with it. In all of my families Muslim owned establishments... insurance agencies, gas stations, cosmetic stores, distribution ware houses never has any one been discriminated of service for any reason.

I have have had several customers who were quite obviously gay couples and they receive the same polite service as every other customer. To be honest they are usually more polite, easier to accommodate and more respectful then other customers

m.garcia21
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM
2 moms liked this
No i think its stupid and ignorant not to mention bad for buisness. It reminds me of when blacks were refused service all that "seperate but equal" crap. Next thing you know theyll be wanting to sit the lgbt in the back of the bus.
VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 8:26 AM
8 moms liked this

I believe this says it best.  Just trade black for gay

STVUstudent
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

the reality is, gays have money... and they spend it... just like everyone else... but just as many in the black community advocate and encourage blacks to focus their money on black-owned businesses, I have no problem, as a lesbian, to spend my money where I am treated with dignity and respect as a consumer.  You don't want to be tainted with "gay" money?  fine by me... I will spend my money down the street.  There is nothing that you offer that I can not get better from someone else.

Serabeth06
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:13 AM

People don't seem to realize that the law passed by Arizona is not limited to gay people. This law allows businesses to discriminate against you for ANY reason, so long as they say it's because of their religion first. "Oh, were you married when you had that baby? NO? Sorry, you can't eat here." "Oh, you got divorced? Sorry, you can't eat here." "Oh, when's the last time you attended church? Eh, sorry. You can't buy things here." "Oh, I see you have visible tattoos and piercings. I'm Jewish, that's against my religion, you have to leave."

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

No.  If they don't want to serve the public then they need to find another line of business.  

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think the issue has been about a gay person wanting personal service in all these businesses, as all of them have stated they've provided service freely to individuals of any kind all the time.  It has been about the forced acceptance of what consititutes a real marriage in our society.  This has been something the people have acknowledged as wrong and voted it down when allowed to vote on.  It is the few with power that have brought the laws about forcing people to cater to this.  Somewhere, somehow, people have to be able to say this is wrong and I don't support this, whether it be in their business or private lives - it affects us all.
Loving someone is a choice, working is a choice, eating is a choice, helping others is a choice, sex is a choice. These are based in behavior.  they can change
Skin color is not a choice, race is not a choice, gender IS not a choice. We are born with these.  Descriminating on these is wrong, as we can do nothing about it.
Behaviors we can do something about- and our laws are set up to determine what behaviors are deemed as beneficial as a whole, in the long term, for society, hopefully in varied aspects such as health, mental, spiritual, economically etc.
Up until this time, it has been well understood by the use of common sense and observation the role and purpose of man and woman as humans, and as possible parents.  When a few begin to force out of society that common understanding with something so blatantly deviant from design and common sense, I am not surprised that these kind of stands will be taken.  Not all laws passed have been a good thing, and some of them need to be removed or changed.  Unfortunately, in counteracting some of these wrong laws, then other laws are passed to compensate, which leads to other laws needed.   You see, the nature of things have been thrown way off balance and now it is like walking on glass, and we can't walk freely anymore.  
Who caused this?     gays

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)