Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you drive drunk, or let a friend drive drunk....

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is an editorial from my local news paper.  Sadly, this kind of thing happens every day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Human wrongheadedness often has no government remedy, even if we wished to impose better personal judgment.

So it’s easy to wish that somebody — police, bartenders, friends — should have stopped Francisco Carranza before police say he drank himself into a stupor, got behind the wheel of his Range Rover and killed himself and his 7-year-old daughter Alyssa in a train collision.

Everybody said Carranza was a hard-worker and a nice guy.

But police reports show that Francisco Carranza was someone else on Jan. 22 when he drove around the guard crossing on Route 120 where it meets the tracks at Route 134.

There he struck a Metra train head-on, police said.

With a BAC from .25 to.30 — they rise exponentially like Richter measurements of earthquakes — drunks display general inertia, near total loss of motor functions, little response to stimuli, inability to stand or walk, vomiting, and incontinence. They are nearly unconscious.

At .30 to .40 — the level police say he attained — symptoms are complete unconsciousness, no reflexes, subnormal body temperature and incontinence.

Carranza seemed on his way to killing himself that day, even before he picked up his daughter and headed for the railroad tracks. He’d been drinking all day.

At the funeral, 2,000 came to visit, and 1,000 showed respect in church services. Among them were his three children not in the car with Alyssa that day.

People liked him.

The sad irony is that no one — including his daylong drinking chums — could or would stop him.

We say earnestly that friends don’t let friends drive drunk, but the truth is we let our friends drive inebriated all the time.

But almost no one with a. 32 BAC makes it home.

The law can’t stop them because there will never be enough police cars to stop every drunk who leaves a bar.

The tragedy of Carranza and Alyssa is palpable. The further tragedy is that there will be more drunken drivers whose friends can’t or won’t stop them.

by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Feb. 25, 2014 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't drive at all if I am drinking. 

Patti-Gee
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't drink, because I always drive.   I would have no problem taking away a friend or family members keys.    My family has been through a traffic fatality, I wouldn't want any other family to go through that.   

Sister_Someone
by on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Drunk drunk, no, never. After ONE drink, yes, of course.

Same policy applies to friends. If someone is visibly drunk, I have no problem taking their keys away. If they seem all right to drive, off they go.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My mother was hit by a drunk driver, while she was on the side of the road holding pressure on a mans head who was also driving drunk in a different vehicle.

So no I don't drive drunk and I don't condone It either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

No I don't.  If out with friends or at supper have had one drink, I either do not drink or I switch to non alcoholic for 2 hours before driving.  I am obsessed about it.  In the past 22 years, I have never let someone with me drive either if they have been drinking.  Random strangers headed to their car under the influence, I call police and report them.  

My dad was an alcoholic and he nearly drowned one night from passing out behind the wheel and driving off a bridge 1/2 mile from home, landing upside down in the river.  I remember standing there watching them pull him out.  I was 7.  In college my tennis doubles partner drove home drunk from a celebratory party.  He hit a van head on and killed the wife and two children.  The husband survived but in a wheel chair.  My partner went to jail.  It was horrific.  I felt so guilty because I knew he shouldn't drive that night.  I spent my last two years in college working with the local MADD group and sitting on panels as a speaker at colleges and high schools.  

Letting someone drive drunk most likely will not kill them but very likely could kill others.  

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 7:44 PM
I drive drunk all the time, it's the only way I can replicate the self centered, all about me, hell with decent people attitude of a typical Liberal.
My vehicle, my choice!
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:06 PM

When driving my limit is one drink too.  Of course, since I drink so seldom, I'd probably be under the table on 2 drinks.  Now, Sunday's my bd, my kids are taking me out for dinner Sat night, my one daughter is picking me up......so, I may live dangerously and have 2 drinks.  But then again, I can't get tipsy because my grandchildren will be there too.

All kidding aside, my dad was an alcoholic too who deserted us when I was 10.  He was the greatest guy you'd ever want to know when he was sober, but a mean abusive man when he drank.....especially on Friday nights when he got his paycheck.

I didn't hang around with the partying crowd in school.  I just never understood the 'party hearty' attitude of purposely getting blasted.  I still don't.

Quoting Analeigh2012:

No I don't.  If out with friends or at supper have had one drink, I either do not drink or I switch to non alcoholic for 2 hours before driving.  I am obsessed about it.  In the past 22 years, I have never let someone with me drive either if they have been drinking.  Random strangers headed to their car under the influence, I call police and report them.  

My dad was an alcoholic and he nearly drowned one night from passing out behind the wheel and driving off a bridge 1/2 mile from home, landing upside down in the river.  I remember standing there watching them pull him out.  I was 7.  In college my tennis doubles partner drove home drunk from a celebratory party.  He hit a van head on and killed the wife and two children.  The husband survived but in a wheel chair.  My partner went to jail.  It was horrific.  I felt so guilty because I knew he shouldn't drive that night.  I spent my last two years in college working with the local MADD group and sitting on panels as a speaker at colleges and high schools.  

Letting someone drive drunk most likely will not kill them but very likely could kill others.  

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Dad let his Irish temper out when he was drunk, and drank every cent he earned.  We would see him driving home from work and we would all run and hide in our rooms.  He never hit any of us, or Mom.  But any dish near him would go crashing against the wall and he was a yeller - yell at my Mom to take her bastard kids and get out - he didn't want any of us around, blah, blah.  He was the father to all us kids - no doubts there at all.  I never knew him when he didn't have beer in his hand.  Then, when I was 11, he had heat stroke and fell off a bulldozer breaking his leg.  The hospital told him if he didn't quit, he would die.  So he came home and as soon as his cast was off, he quit.  Cold.  I can't talk about that night still today.  Scariest night ever.  Even worse than the night I was raped.  He dried out and my youngest sister and brother grew up never knowing Dad ever drank.  Me, I had a drunk for 11 years, then a sober, wonderful, playful man after that.  I really feel like I had two fathers while growing up.  

And in college - I drank heavily.  Classes were easy for me.  I started having sex and drinking when others were studying.  I did things I cannot imagine now, but I didn't drive.  Now, I enjoy a glass of wine with a meal maybe once every 3 months.  That's about my limit.  A long way from my 11 shots of tequila nights!

Quoting grandmab125:

When driving my limit is one drink too.  Of course, since I drink so seldom, I'd probably be under the table on 2 drinks.  Now, Sunday's my bd, my kids are taking me out for dinner Sat night, my one daughter is picking me up......so, I may live dangerously and have 2 drinks.  But then again, I can't get tipsy because my grandchildren will be there too.

All kidding aside, my dad was an alcoholic too who deserted us when I was 10.  He was the greatest guy you'd ever want to know when he was sober, but a mean abusive man when he drank.....especially on Friday nights when he got his paycheck.

I didn't hang around with the partying crowd in school.  I just never understood the 'party hearty' attitude of purposely getting blasted.  I still don't.

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Debmomto2girls
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I will not drive even after 1 drink.  It isn't worth it. 

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Sorry about you childhood too.

Drinking like you did is very common for people who grow up with an alcoholic parent. It's all a child knows to do as a coping mechanism.  You (gen) do what you're familiar with and think alcohol is going to make everything better or more fun.  You're lucky with all of that drinking that you didn't become an alcoholic too. In a way, I think I was kind of an anomaly.  I went in the opposite direction.

I can remember on  most Fridays after my mom got home from work she would have to retrieve my brother and I from my dad's favorite watering hole.  Or if we were still at my grandmother's (she watched us after school), we all were nervous of what we would find when we got home.  One time we found a kitchen chair in the front yard.  He was drunk and pissed about something.  He had thrown the chair right through the front porch window.

He never hit me, as I was his favorite.  Sadly he did beat my brother a couple of times that I can remember.  Then one day he beat my mother up.  She sent us running out of the house to my grandmothers (down the road) to have her call the cops.  I think that run was the scariest time of my life.  It wasn't the first time the cops were called.  But in those days they used to just take him for a long ride, drop him off and make him walk home.  They figured he'd be sobered up some by the time he got home.

Domestic violence was ignored in those days.  That's when my mom kicked him out, got a legal separation and he was supposed to pay a meager am't of child support.  He didn't want to pay the support, so he skipped state without ever saying goodbye.  That was the hardest thing for me, as a little girl, to learn to live with.  He left my mom to pay back about $1,000 that he had borrowed from friends and family.  That was  a lot of money in the late 50's.  Can you imagine people lending money time after time to a known drunk? 

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Dad let his Irish temper out when he was drunk, and drank every cent he earned.  We would see him driving home from work and we would all run and hide in our rooms.  He never hit any of us, or Mom.  But any dish near him would go crashing against the wall and he was a yeller - yell at my Mom to take her bastard kids and get out - he didn't want any of us around, blah, blah.  He was the father to all us kids - no doubts there at all.  I never knew him when he didn't have beer in his hand.  Then, when I was 11, he had heat stroke and fell off a bulldozer breaking his leg.  The hospital told him if he didn't quit, he would die.  So he came home and as soon as his cast was off, he quit.  Cold.  I can't talk about that night still today.  Scariest night ever.  Even worse than the night I was raped.  He dried out and my youngest sister and brother grew up never knowing Dad ever drank.  Me, I had a drunk for 11 years, then a sober, wonderful, playful man after that.  I really feel like I had two fathers while growing up.  

And in college - I drank heavily.  Classes were easy for me.  I started having sex and drinking when others were studying.  I did things I cannot imagine now, but I didn't drive.  Now, I enjoy a glass of wine with a meal maybe once every 3 months.  That's about my limit.  A long way from my 11 shots of tequila nights!

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN