Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What did you think of the whole Arizona anti-gay bill debacle?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM
  • 36 Replies

Arizona Governor Vetoes Anti-Gay Bill: 10 Tweets That Say It All

by Adriana Velez

arizona rainbowGay rights took one step back and then one step forward this week in Arizona, landing everyone pretty much in the same place. First Arizona legislators voted to give businesses the right to deny gay people service on religious grounds. I don't know why they thought it was worth anyone's time to go through all that trouble. But anyhoo! Thousands of outraged tweets, posts, interviews and facepalms later, Governor Jan Brewer vetoed SB1062, A.K.A. The Embarrassing Money-Losing Anti-Gay Bill. Most of America breathed a sigh of relief.

As usual, people had a lot to say about this bill via Twitter. Here's some of the highlights...

Shortly after the Arizona state legislature passed the anti-gay bill, its one gay rep tweeted his dismay.

George Takei was a little more explicit in his response.

Oh AZ legislators, you really blew it this time.

Finally, Jan Brewer vetoed the bill.

Some folks were a little bit cynical about Brewer's motivation.

Others reminded us of an important history lesson.

But was it really just about the money? Does it matter?

And why did it take Brewer 5 days to decide what to do?

That aside, things are pretty much the same in Arizona as they were before.

Ouch...

What did you think of the whole Arizona anti-gay bill debacle?

by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Jan Brewer caved..just like a governor did in my state when pro choicers threatened to boycott Idaho pototaoes for the governor to allow an abortion bill to be passed. Wonder how her constituents feel about it.

slashteddy
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM
I am just very, very relieved it was vetoed.
denise3680
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I think when you start making laws that allow people to pick and choose who they want to help and not help it starts a landslide of trouble.  I think the same people that wanted this thing to pass should be careful what they wish for:/  IMO, I am glad that businesses stood up and said we will not support you in this matter.  I have to think that if this is a precedence that wants to be put forth, then would everyone be ok with a hospital doing the same thing, or firefighters, or police officers, walmart, target, kmart etc... IMO, it just opens us up to going backward instead of forward:/

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

What did you think of the whole Arizona anti-gay bill debacle -

Ridiculous title:

The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend.
Sometimes the Enemy of my Enemy is just another Enemy.
The trick is to know when.
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

It makes me sad that people want to use religion as a reason to discriminate against other people.  It feels dishonest to me. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM

BUMP!

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM
3 moms liked this

LOL..it's always the "religious" people that discriminate..never the unreligious ones wanting to force their views on others...

eye rolling

geekymom08
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM
You have to remember, separation of church and state. Just like the ban on gay marriage is slowly getting struck down by the Supreme Court, so would this. You CAN NOT make laws based on religion. Religion has no business being law.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:12 AM

What is your discription of this?

Quoting geekymom08: You have to remember, separation of church and state. Just like the ban on gay marriage is slowly getting struck down by the Supreme Court, so would this. You CAN NOT make laws based on religion. Religion has no business being law.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ednarooni160:

LOL..it's always the "religious" people that discriminate..never the unreligious ones wanting to force their views on others...

eye rolling

Could I ask you what is being forced on Christians?  You cannot force someone to change their views but you can prevent those views from discriminating against others and then having laws that back them up.  But I am curious what views have you been forced to change because of someone else?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN