Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

A question from a Christian to other Christians here.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this
I Wouk really like to read answers to these yes questions. They have been things I have been wrestling with as I explore my faith.
Christians and non Christians alike can answer :)

Is Christianity and offshoot of Judaism?

If it is then where do the ideas of lucifer and hell come from since there is no mention of either in Judaism?

If not then why do we use the Old Testament?

Where does God say specifically, not via Paul or any other disciple, that homosexuality is a sin?

If we are not supposed to revise or change Gods written word why are there so any translations and versions I the bible?
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM
3 moms liked this

Hi- I'll do my best, I'm a Christian, but not a Jew, and do not know too much about the Jewish Faith. We do however occasionally attend a Messianic Jewish Service, which is Jewish, but for those who believe in Jesus Christ.

Is Christianity and offshoot of Judaism? http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts/christianity_judaism.htm

If it is then where do the ideas of lucifer and hell come from since there is no mention of either in Judaism? I can't speak for Judiasm

If not then why do we use the Old Testament? The Old Testament and The New Testament are all part of the Bible.

Where does God say specifically, not via Paul or any other disciple, that homosexuality is a sin? Without getting into a lengthy discussion here, review what is in this link. http://www.openbible.info/topics/homosexuality

If we are not supposed to revise or change Gods written word why are there so any translations and versions I the bible?
Many conservatives use the King James Version. Keep in mind though the Catholics have the middle books, which Protestants view as history; the Mormons and Jehova Witnesses also utilize different Bibles, people will argue that the last two are not Christian. But that isn't the point of your post.

Overall, you have to decide which is the right one. For some, it does no good if it isn't readable or understandable. The important thing is your faith.

People allow a lot of things to interfere with their faith, including specific doctrines, specific words in the Bible, etc. Don't allow that to derail you.

Finally, if you really are seeking answers to these questions, I'd consider looking at Charles F. Stanley's "Handbook for Christian Living: Biblical Answers to Life's Tough Questions". He really discusses these in depth, and quite critically.

collectivecow
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi,

I'm Jewish and was raised as an Orthodox Jew.

Messianic Judaism is NOT a branch of Judaism.
Messianic Judaism is a branch of Evangelical Christianity.
It has absolutely nothing to do with our beliefs.
Jews in NO way shape or form believe in Jesus.

Jews who do take up a belief in Jesus are converted Christians.
Jews who do take up a belief in Jesus become apostates to Judaism.

With that said: I'll try to answer what I can, as best I can.

Is Christianity and offshoot of Judaism?

Christianity and Judaism are separate beliefs (Judaism, Christianity and Islam make up the three Abrahamic faiths). 

As for the start of Christianity:

A Jew named Jesus wanted to reform Judaism and some people followed his lead. These followers became the first Christians. 

Theologically:

Jesus is claimed to be the fulfillment of Jewish prophecy and Messiah.
Jews don't accept these claims and believe the Messiah has yet to come.  

Jews aren't allowed to change any letters of the texts and still don't today.
Torah's are scribed by a sofer and there are various error-checking formulas.
There are 9 variants of the TaNaKH and none of them change the meaning of the words.

The Christian renditions of the Old Testament have about 250,000 variants which change the nature of the words, according to scholars.  A lot of it has to do with transliterating the books into various languages.

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM

The bible was written by translation and cesor ship of the workers many books are still not in a compleate bible.  It was originally in anciet Hebrew then translated  supposedly hundres of years after the first rendition.

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Lucifer mythology comes from Milton's Paradise Lost and hell mythology comes from Dante.

Della529
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:07 AM
2 moms liked this

King James Version is a laughable riot.

I am a CHRISTIAN, not a paulian.  I  don't believe much of what he wrote, and think it was him trying to be something he wasn't.

The only place I recall where the bible reads anything about changing, deleting or adding to is the book of Revelations.  And that was ONE book out of the 73 originally chosen.

VoodooVixen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. Very interesting.
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Christianity was originally considered a Jewish sect.

If you are asking whether the Bible teaches something, you don't get to exclude books and passages you don't like. Sorry.

Lucifer is mentioned in the OT, not the NT. 

Read Leviticus about homosexuality being a sin.

Translations of the Bible, if they are true to the original text, are different languages or versions. As you know, we haven't spoken like the Shakespearean-era King James Bible for about 400 years.  That's the reason most of us don't use the KJV today.

angelenia
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:36 AM
And kjv is a trainwreck of a translation

Quoting SallyMJ:

If you are asking whether the Bible teaches something, you don't get to exclude books and passages you don't like. Sorry.

Translations of the Bible, if they are true to the original text, are different languages or versions. As you know, we haven't spoken like the Shakespearean-era King James Bible for about 400 years.  That's the reason most of us don't use the KJV today.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:27 AM

1)One can argue this.It doesnt matter to me.I believe is Jesus as a Christian.

2)The story ~Lucifer was one of Gods angels that was most beautiful.He wanted to overthrow God and was thrown out of heaven into hell with his followers demons.Can look up where in the bible and share with you more after

3)I believe the Jehovah's,some Baptists groups,and some Pentecostal groups  follow the old testament.

4)I have not looked it up.Yet I believe in the bible it says a man should not lie with another man.Also in religion it is believe that woman was created as a partner for man.It also says we should not judge and love thy neighbor.

Not all religious people hate homosexuals.I am christian and could care less what anyone is doing with their life.I have my own life to worry about.All I can say is biology wise humans were made one man and woman.We were made to join together and create families.Whoever a person chooses to love is their business.

We all have to meet our maker one day.

5)We are humans and we do what we want.God also gave us free will.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

And why would you say that?

It's true that we don't speak Shakespearean English today - but the KJV was a very scholarly translation.

Sounds like you are repeating someone else's opinion from HuffPost or Salon.

Please. Do tell.

Quoting angelenia: And kjv is a trainwreck of a translation
Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN