Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Chicks on Right: Words have slippery definitions in liberal dictionary

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Chicks on Right: Words have slippery definitions in liberal dictionary

SHARE 9 2 COMMENTMORE

Last week, the Internal Revenue Service posted “Four Tax Facts about the Health Care Law for Individuals” on its website. In its list of tips to keep in mind about Obamacare, the IRS referred to the penalty for failing to have health insurance coverage as a “shared responsibility payment.” “Shared responsibility payment” sounds nice, doesn’t it? It’s a whole lot better than actually calling it a tax penalty, which is precisely what it is.

This is becoming standard practice for the left. If something they believe in sounds even remotely distasteful, then instead of owning the reality of their idea or policy or belief or value, they simply assign it a new name – something warm and fuzzy – so that low- and no-information leftists will continue to toe the party line, often oblivious to what they’re actually supporting.

And this is nothing new. In fact, after our first book comes out this fall, we’re thinking we should make book No. 2 a Liberal-to-English dictionary. With the help of our website’s followers, we’ve come up with a great start so far. For example, consider the myriad ways in which pro-abortion folks describe abortions now (and we’re certain this is not an exhaustive list):

Reproductive health

Pro-choice

Women’s bodily autonomy

Reproductive choice

Women’s bodily integrity.

The biggest weapon in the left’s arsenal is semantics. And considering how indefensible much of their ideology is, it’s no wonder they want to hide behind soft, kind words. After all, talking about “women’s bodily autonomy” sounds a whole lot better than talking about using forceps to twist and tear off the limbs of an unborn fetus, snapping its spine and/or crushing its skull before removing it from the womb.

People who are “pro-choice” don’t like to think about what that actually means. It’s the same thinking that leads pro-abortionists to shriek about the injustice of states requiring that ultrasounds be performed before an abortion. They don’t want to have to see what they’re about to kill.

It’s the same nonsense with other not-so-pleasant words. Spending is referred to as “investing.” Raising taxes is described as “redistribution of wealth” or “social justice.” More recently, job losses occurring as a result of Obamacare, are described as an avoidance of “job lock.” You’re not unemployed, you’re liberated from work.

A terrorist shooting up innocent people at Fort Hood? That’s “workplace violence.”

Illegal aliens? Nope, those are “undocumented immigrants.” And you’re racist for saying they’re illegal.

New tax hikes? Those are just “increased revenues.”

Punishing the wealthy for their success by demanding more of their hard-earned money? Why, that’s just making sure they pay their “fair share.”

One of our favorites? The state of Maryland refers to its food stamp program’s EBT card as an “Independence Card.” What exactly are the card holders independent from? Maybe it’s that job lock thing.

Media-savvy liberals understand the power of words, and so as soon as a particular word or phrase begins to have negative connotations, they change it up a bit. “Global warming” became a punch line a long time ago, but once it was determined that there hasn’t been any global warming for the past 15 years, it turned into “global climate change.” Since that term is mocked relentlessly too, stay tuned for “coastal resiliency” and “recurrent flooding” and who knows what else.

And that works in reverse, by the way. If liberals want to assign negative connotations to conservative ideals, they’ll come up with scarier sounding words to describe stuff. Guns become “assault weapons.” Tea party members are “extremists.” Carbon dioxide, which humans need to exist, is now “carbon pollution.”

There also are some buzzwords used by the left that even they cannot easily define. For example, ask a liberal to tell you with precision what a “living wage” is. Ask a liberal to explain the exact definition of “basic” health care. Ask them to give you numbers, and then watch them squirm.

Even the term “liberal” is on the way out, in favor of the more positive-sounding “progressive.”

Hey, isn’t there a saying about lipstick on a pig?

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

This was dead on, absolutely dead on!   'bout time this stuff gets pointed out.

oh and I really agree with this- I've said it all along:
"Even the term “liberal” is on the way out, in favor of the more positive-sounding “progressive.”

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:48 AM
3 moms liked this

That is the type of non-sense that plays well with the useful idiots.

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM

it sure has played well for them.  

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Personally I find nothing 'progressive' about liberals.

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

They also like to think of themselves as part of the 'enlightened' generation.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Personally I find nothing 'progressive' about liberals.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM
"Shared Responsibility Payment"....screw that...I'm already responsible enough!
KeptNae
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

The OP is partly right. However they incorrectly ascribe such behavior to the left, or liberals, when in fact it is political propaganda. Both sides are equally guilty of it. A few examples I can think of off the top of my head from the other side:

Operation Iraqi Freedome

Death tax

Tax relief

I worry that certain people can only see propaganda from one side and are blind to the propaganda from the other side.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:18 AM

it's propaganda when it's not aligned with one's beliefs. If someone if pro-choice, almost anything pro-life is propaganda. kwim?

Quoting KeptNae:

The OP is partly right. However they incorrectly ascribe such behavior to the left, or liberals, when in fact it is political propaganda. Both sides are equally guilty of it. A few examples I can think of off the top of my head from the other side:

Operation Iraqi Freedome

Death tax

Tax relief

I worry that certain people can only see propaganda from one side and are blind to the propaganda from the other side.

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Lol.
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:41 AM

It's the same GOP  double speak for msaking sure poor women have kids they don't want and cannot afford.

Living wage differs for location to location but in general it means income that allows 30% to go to housing and the rest to bills ,food etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN