Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

DOJ sues Philadelphia school district over Muslim beards

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

The U.S. Department of Justice has filed a complaint in U.S. District Court alleging that the School District of Philadelphia's grooming policy is discriminatory.

The federal lawsuit claims that the policy discriminates against employees who don't trim their beards because of religious reasons. District rules currently prevent school police and security officers from having beards that are more than a quarter of an inch long.

According to the suit, school police officer Siddiq Abu-Bakr's Islamic faith requires him to allow his beard to grow. He had allowed his beard to grow uncut for 27 years while working for the district before being informed that he had to trim it via a written reprimand. Abu-Bakr was told continuing to violate the policy would result in "further disciplinary action."

Abu-Bakr filed a religious discrimination charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the matter was referred to the DOJ.

"No employee should be forced to violate his religious beliefs in order to earn a living," Spencer Lewis Jr., the director of the EEOC's Philadelphia District Office, said in a statement. "Modifying a dress or grooming code is a reasonable accommodation that enables employees to keep working without posing an undue hardship on the employer."

The Department of Justice's suit is seeking monetary damages for Abu-Bakr and a change in district policy.

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Is the beard hurting anyone? Is the beard threatening? Is the beard intimidating?

Then leave him alone

sheesh

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I think the policy is over the top (nothing wrong with facial hair) but if it is the school's policy it should be adhered to.  Our schools have some policies I don't agree with but we still adhere to them since it is the rules. 

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Muslims aren't the only religion that doesn't trim their beards.

Why is it wrong to not discriminate against religious people again?

You would think christians who are worried about religious persecution would be all for this.

Debrowsky
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think that common sense tell you that if you have religious requirements concerning hair -  then you stay away from jobs that would cause you to violate those requirements. 

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM

The Mooslims are of the understanding that they operate outside of the rules.

Quoting Debrowsky:

I would think that common sense tell you that if you have religious requirements concerning hair -  then you stay away from jobs that would cause you to violate those requirements. 

The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend.
Sometimes the Enemy of my Enemy is just another Enemy.
The trick is to know when.
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:32 PM

BUMP!

Proud2baMuslim
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Quoting Billiejeens:

The Mooslims are of the understanding that they operate outside of the rules.

Quoting Debrowsky:

No we're not but it is the law not to infringe on our religious freedoms and that does not just go for Muslims. I went through the same shit when an employer (a big cooperation) tried to make me remove my hijab and wear short sleeves several years back. My attorney and C.A.I.R. stepped in and showed them where it was illegal to do so and they backed right off. People suggested that I sue because there is allot more to the story that is long to get into here but I wasn't interested in suing or getting any monetary gain and when forced to recognize the law the cooperation let it go. Then I quit as I planned all along since it all started but I was not about to quit until I won not just for my self but for everyone of any religion.

I also used to work with a Hindu. They don't cut their hair at all. They wear a beard also and fold their hair up in a turban. He was told he had to cut his beard and remove his turban and being that his hair had never in his life been cut I'm sure it would go down waist length. He did take it court and won. He also was not interested in any monetary gain other than having his legal expenses compensated. They did pay his legal fees and were order to allow him to continue to work according to what his religion permits. He stayed there after.

I wouldn't stay because I had no desire to work for people like that but I was not about to leave until they understood what they were doing is against the law.

It's funny though Christians proudly displayed their religious symbols and no one ever had a problem with it.

The co operations exact words were "it's bad for business". That is the one, only, and last time of me working in a non Muslim establishment.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 4:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Sorry ~ if God isn't allowed, even symbolically, Allah shouldn't be either. Keep your God out of public schools.

Quoting mikiemom:

You would think christians who are worried about religious persecution would be all for this.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 6:59 PM

christians are allowed to wear crosses, Jewish people the star of david, this is not forcing anyone else to participate in their religion it is only their expression of their religion which should be allowed.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Sorry ~ if God isn't allowed, even symbolically, Allah shouldn't be either. Keep your God out of public schools.

Quoting mikiemom:

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Nah ... gotta keep all gods out of public schools ...

Quoting mikiemom:

christians are allowed to wear crosses, Jewish people the star of david, this is not forcing anyone else to participate in their religion it is only their expression of their religion which should be allowed.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting mikiemom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN