Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Huckabee: Time for government, not 'people of faith to scale back'

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Eds
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) didn't disguise his presidential ambitions on Thursday, touting his socially conservative bona fides and blasting both President Obama and Hillary Clinton inhis Conservative Political Action Conference speech. 

"These are the things that I know. I know there is a God, and I know this nation would not exist had he not been the midwife of its birth. And I know that this nation exists by the providence of his hand, and if this nation forgets our God, then God will have every right to forget us," Huckabee said. "I hope that we repent before we ever have to receive his fiery judgment."

Huckabee is making strong signs he'll make another run for the White House in 2016, positioning himself as a favorite of social conservatives. 

The speech from the Baptist pastor was predictably heavy on social issues. Huckabee warned that "a society that sacrifices its own children is no better than the ancient Philistines," and criticized the Obama administration for its policy requiring contraception coverage in insurance plans, warning they're impeding on religious liberty.

"When the government begins to say 'it's okay if you have faith but you can only have this much of it because, when you have this much of it, it may somehow conflict with something government has passed, here's what I know: It's time for the government to scale back, not for people of faith to scale back. Religious liberty should be unimpeded in this nation."

But Huckabee made sure to blast Democrats on foreign policy and the economy as well, positioning himself in strong opposition to Democrats' early 2016 front-runner, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

"Four Americans were murdered at Benghazi, and our government lied to us as to what happened," he said. "With all due respect to Hillary Clinton, it does make a difference why they died."

He also tweaked Obama, accusing him of being a weak leader.

"I know that the only time Vladimir Putin shivers is when he has his shirt off in a cold Russian winter," he said. "No one trusts us; no one listens to us; no one respects us, and no one fears us."

Huckabee largely avoided fiscal issues, an area where he has had problems with the base, though he threw red meat to the conservative crowd on taxes.

"I know that the IRS is a criminal enterprise," he said. "The best way to get the IRS off our backs and out of our lives is to enact a fair tax which will eliminate the IRS once and for all."

VIDEO HERE: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/200209-huckabee-time-for-government-not-people-of-faith-to-scale-back

by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I pretty much agree with him.  I'd like to read more on the fair tax.  

Thanks for sharing this.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:28 PM

He lost the primary last time because of his extremism, he'll lose this time too. I do not recall the last former baptist pastor who was president pushing a religious agenda the way Huckabee wants to.

vic270
by Vic on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:47 PM

oh ye of little faith, do you think this country has lost all morals, and we will only have sorry, low down, good for nothing, presidents like the one in office now forever.I think people are tired of the road that we are heading and are wanting some trust and faith back in the country, this is my opinion, and you don't have to agree. i"m just saying, America can't take much.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

He lost the primary last time because of his extremism, he'll lose this time too. I do not recall the last former baptist pastor who was president pushing a religious agenda the way Huckabee wants to.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Oh god I certainly hope not.  In fact the majority of the country agrees with me.  That is why Huckabee lost the primary and whats his face lost the election to Obama this time.

Quoting vic270:

oh ye of little faith, do you think this country has lost all morals, and we will only have sorry, low down, good for nothing, presidents like the one in office now forever.I think people are tired of the road that we are heading and are wanting some trust and faith back in the country, this is my opinion, and you don't have to agree. i"m just saying, America can't take much.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:13 AM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

The doctrine of "women and children first" makes the Titanic tragedy stand out in remarkable ways. When asked in Senate hearings about the Titanic sinking whether the doctrine of "women and children first was the law of the sea," a naval officer responded, "It is the law of human nature." Of course, there were no formal laws, maritime or otherwise, which required the implementation of such a policy in times of danger.

Alas, no longer. The debunking suffragettes have won. And thus, we have all lost immeasurably more than we can imagine.

If that "unsinkable" liner were to go down in the North Atlantic today, we could hardly expect the standard of "Women and children first" to bring order to the crisis. The great sea disaster would undoubtedly cost even more lives were it to occur in our time--when notions of sacrifice, duty, and chivalry no longer dominate our cultural landscape

[...]

Most of the revolutionary attempts at social engineering have been undertaken, ostensibly, in an effort to improve the lot of women and children in our society.

As one cover story asserted, "American women have been sold a bill of goods. Instead of making life easier, or better, or even more just for women, the sundry programs of social engineering have made it harder, worse, and more unjust. They have broken down traditional family structures. They have contributed to epidemic irresponsibility. They have opened a Pandora's box of social ills not the least of which is the progressive impoverishment of the very women it is supposed to liberate

[...]

The experts were instrumental in ushering in a sexual revolution in our time. Sloganeering for "free love," "sex without commitment," "recreational sex," "alternative lifestyle sex," and "casual sex," the utopian social engineers helped create a new sexual ecology that has fundamentally altered American society. As a result, sex outside of the sacred confines of marriage is now considered "normal."

There have been innumerable unexpected, unintended, and unwanted results. Teen pregnancies. Family disintegration. Women-headed homes. Illegitimacy. Male irresponsibility.

The sexual revolution spawned a situation where men freely accepted the pleasures and privileges of intimacy without having to accept any of its responsibilities. Women were left holding the baby. Literally.

[...]

In a politically correct society, many of the evils of our culture fall into the hazy domain of "victimless crimes"--in other words, no one is harmed except "consenting adults." Supposedly these victimless crimes fall beyond the pale of justice. Any attempts to do so is instantly labeled "intolerance," "bigotry," or "the excesses of religious fundamentalism."

"And besides," we carefully reason, "you can't legislate morality in a modern pluralistic society."

On the contrary, that's what legislation is. It is the codification in law of some particular moral concern, composed and enforced so that the immorality of a few is not inflicted on the many. Legislating morality is the very cornerstone of justice.

Thus, the question is not, "Should we legislate morality?" Rather, it is, "What moral standard should we use when we legislate?" Will it be the unwavering, unerring prescription for justice of the Judeo-Christian tradition or will it be the ever-changing notions of society?

Kids Who Kill, by Gov. Mike Huckabee, p. 58-61 , Jun 1, 1998

A person with a biblical world view says humans are by nature selfish. We are basically self-centered & look out for ourselves first. Only two things will change this: either our nature will be changed by a supernatural experience with God through Christ, or we will fear the consequences of not doing the right thing.

Those who believe God created humans have a different worldview from those who believe humans created God. Politics are totally directed by worldview. That is why when people say, “We ought to separate politics from religion,” I say to separate the two is absolutely impossible.

Source: Character Makes a Difference, by Mike Huckabee, p.111-113 , Jun 1, 2007

I realize it is not politically correct to say what I am about to say. But I have believed it since I was a teenager so I will not going to recant it now.

The reason that America is a great nation is because America is a special nation. And the reason America is a special nation is because it was founded by people who were first on their knees before they were on their feet. We are a nation rooted in our faith.

[...]

I stay in this race, not to be a fly in the ointment, but because I believe that our party & our country is about a choice, and I plan to give it to them. There are only a few states that have voted; 27 have not. People in those 27 states deserve more than a coronation. They deserve the opportunity to have their voices and their votes heard and counted.

I know what the pundits say, that the math doesn’t workout. Folks, I didn’t major in math. I majored in miracles and I still believe in those.

Source: Speeches to 2008 Conservative Political Action Conference , Feb 7, 2008 

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 5:24 AM

Q: Do you believe every word of this book [The Holy Bible]?

A: Sure. I believe the Bible is exactly what it is. It’s the word of revelation to us from God himself. I don’t fully comprehend and understand [it all], because the Bible is a revelation of an infinite god, and no finite person is ever going to fully understand it. If they do, their god is too small.

Source: 2007 GOP YouTube debate in St. Petersburg, Florida , Nov 28, 2007 

Q: Do you believe, literally, creation was done in six days, as it is described in the Bible?

HUCKABEE: Whether God did it in six days or whether he did it in six days that represented periods of time, he did it, and that’s what’s important. But I’ll tell you what I can tell the country. If they want a president who doesn’t believe in God, there’s probably plenty of choices. If anybody wants to believe that they are the descendants of a primate, they are certainly welcome to do it. But I believe that all of us in this room are the unique creations of a God who knows us and loves us and who created us for his own purpose.

BROWNBACK: I believe that we are created in the image of God for a particular purpose. And I am fully convinced there’s a God of the universe that loves us very much and was involved in the process. How he did it, I don’t know. One of the problems we have with our society today is that we put faith and science at odds with each other. They aren’t at odds with each other.

Source: 2007 GOP debate at Saint Anselm College , Jun 3, 2007 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)