Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

MSNBC's Maddow paints as heroes abortionists who must close their doors for not meeting safety requirements

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:46 PM
  • 15 Replies

On Wednesday night, MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow featured anexclusive segment about the current state of pro-life laws in Texas, following the implementation of HB2, the Texas abortion safety law that added additional safety measures for women visiting clinics. The piece concluded with the announcement that Whole Women’s Health, which owns and operates abortion clinics across the state, was closing two of its five centers, in McAllen and Beaumont, respectively. 

Maddow’s 20-minute feature focused primarily on the Texas legislation that led to the clinic closures – namely HB2, Texas’ omnibus pro-life bill of the 2013 Legislative Session. Unsurprisingly, some facts were botched or simply omitted in Maddow’s report.  She said (emphasis added):  

The Texas legislature meets every two years, and basically every two years since Republicans have taken over they have done what they could to pass new limits on abortion laws in that state; in 2003 as soon as they got there, then again in 2005, then 2007, then 2009, then 2011. And then 2013: the most sweeping omnibus anti-abortion bill [HB2] in that state yet.

Maddow’s take on pro-life politics in the state was misinformed at best.  First, she laid out a background of pro-life legislation in Texas that is false.  In her estimation, one minute after the Republican Party took control of the state’s legislature in late 2002, all Republican politicians set their sights firmly on pro-life legislation—or as Maddow would phrase the issue:  “attacking women’s right to abortion.”  Republicans simply stood and worked for policies that reflect the values of their voters.

The voters of Texas are the rallying force behind pro-life legislation, not Texas politicians, some of whom are regarded as left-leaning Republicans.  For example, voters in the Texas Democratic primary who live in border counties refused to accept their rabidly pro-abortion gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis, instead voting for her pro-life Democrat opposition who spent  no money in his campaign against her.  Across party lines, Texas residents are pro-life, and this is how Texas has always been.  Texas Right to Life (TRL) must fight tooth and nail to ensure that the pro-life convictions of Texas at-large are represented by the legislation that their elected officials seek to pass.  Without these stalwart Texans, and a handful of truly dedicated politicians who represent them, Texas would not be the envy of pro-lifers nationwide. 

Additionally, no free-standing pro-life laws passed in 2005, 2007, or 2009, but Maddow did not let the facts impede her sensationalism.

Maddow’s report failed to relay accurate numbers of clinic closures in the state of Texas since the passage of HB2. Currently, 27 abortion clinics remain operational in the state, according to TRL research.  Maddow’s report cites 19.  Her discrepancy may have involved overlooking the eight abortion clinics that quickly attained admitting privileges following the preliminary court ruling on HB2.

Maddow chronicled the gruesome professions of two abortionists in the Rio Grande Valley as if they were heroes. One of these is abortionists Lester Minto, whose clinic in Harlingen was forced to close last Friday after Minto could not meet the requirements of HB2 to operate within the new law.  Among other stipulations, HB2 requires that abortionists secure admitting privileges at hospitals near their clinics. According to Minto’s interview with Slate, he brazenly sent women south of the border after the passage of HB2 so that they could obtain the drug misoprostol for self-induced abortions (an off-label use of the drug, which can lead to maternal death).  Minto, perhaps unsurprisingly, was not able to achieve privileges at any of the hospitals near his clinic despite multiple requests.

Generally, a physician in good medical standing faces few obstacles when obtaining admitting privileges, although the hospital’s credentialing board can take a few weeks or months to approve or reject the request.  As of HB2’s implementation, some abortionists already had admitting privileges.  Many others were able to swiftly obtain them.  Abortionists like Lester Minto may prove that they do not value women’s health and safety; therefore, they are a liability to a hospital that would cooperate with their substandard abortion practice. Substandard abortion clinics that cannot or will not comply with Texas law are dangerous for women and will not be tolerated by the pro-life majority of Texas.  If Maddow truly cared about women and their “safe, legal, and rare” choice of abortion, she, too, would want the practitioners out of the abortion business.

by on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

actually it is all about the GOP wanting women especially poor women no to be able to get abortions as those financial interest would lose billions of dollars.  Population has a price tag and there is always some one to take the money.  Their fear is that women will have fewer children as they will as the women of other advanced cultures in Asia have fewer children later in life if at all ,when they can afford them and have careers.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Rachel Maddow is a buffoon.   I saw this program.   She thinks it's a tragedy that a woman might have to drive X # of miles to get an abortion. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

She would prefer 1,000 Dr. Gosnells rather than 10 clinics that meet the same  requirements for cleanliness and safety that doctors' offices and surgery centers meet.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Rachel Maddow is a buffoon.   I saw this program.   She thinks it's a tragedy that a woman might have to drive X # of miles to get an abortion. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Let's think about that, shall we?

Many of these laws were not even proposed until after Dr. Gosnell was arrested and his clinic closed for gross health and safety violations.

So I think what you are saying is:

- Definitely regulate abortion clinics that rich and middle class people go to.

- But just build a bunch of abortion clinics for poor women, and don't regulate them. 

- Better to have 20 abortion clinics that violate health standards - like Dr. Gosnell - than to have 10 that meet the same health guildelines as doctors' offices, surgery centers, and hospitals.

What "financial interest would lose billions of dollars" are you referring to?

The ones making billions of dollars off abortions are Planned Parenthood, abortion clinics, and liberal/prog politicians and groups.

Oops.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

actually it is all about the GOP wanting women especially poor women no to be able to get abortions as those financial interest would lose billions of dollars.  Population has a price tag and there is always some one to take the money.  Their fear is that women will have fewer children as they will as the women of other advanced cultures in Asia have fewer children later in life if at all ,when they can afford them and have careers.

29again
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I don't get what is so awful about making sure that if a woman does need an abortion, we make it as safe as we possibly can for that woman.  Or do we really want those back-alley places again?  Is that it?  Do the progressives really want our women going to whatever hole-in-the-wall abortion clinic happens to be around the corner, run by a man in a lab coat with the credentials that can be bought over the internet??  Seems so to me.

funny_girl3
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM

The problem is, when you limit access you take away options for some women (especially poor women) and they will be more likely to end up having a "back-alley" abortion procedure.  If they are really interested in women's safety then help those clinics, bring them up to the safety standards.  They don't do that because the conservatives are ruling that state with their religion. 

Quoting 29again:

I don't get what is so awful about making sure that if a woman does need an abortion, we make it as safe as we possibly can for that woman.  Or do we really want those back-alley places again?  Is that it?  Do the progressives really want our women going to whatever hole-in-the-wall abortion clinic happens to be around the corner, run by a man in a lab coat with the credentials that can be bought over the internet??  Seems so to me.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM

But see the problem with that it is, when you don't inspect and ensure the safety of abortion clinics - you get Dr. Gosnell, whose high school educated employees dispensed anesthesia, delivered and snipped the spinal columns of moving, crying infants, and prevented bleeding women from going to the ER.

Dr. Gosnell's clinic had NOT ONE complete health inspection over a 17 year period.

Gosnell was today's version of the back alley coat hanger abortionist.

Inspecting health clinics for safety has nothing to do with religion.

It  has to do with consistent medical and healthy standards.

Quoting funny_girl3:

The problem is, when you limit access you take away options for some women (especially poor women) and they will be more likely to end up having a "back-alley" abortion procedure.  If they are really interested in women's safety then help those clinics, bring them up to the safety standards.  They don't do that because the conservatives are ruling that state with their religion. 

Quoting 29again:

Lolitalux
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Maybe they are heros, men and women that fight everyday to give women a choice, good for them! 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM

You are saying that today's back alley, coat hanger abortionists are heroes and deserve prizes?!

How so?

I thought you hated them.

Quoting Lolitalux:

Maybe they are heros, men and women that fight everyday to give women a choice, good for them! 

Lolitalux
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Why do you think I hated them? I'm not prolife. I believe more people need to be having abortions this world is over populated. Yes they are heroes and should get awards. I think in an over populated world people should really stop having children. No more than three kids. I have three kids and did the responsible thing. I got my tubes tied. People that have more than three children disgust me. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

You are saying that today's back alley, coat hanger abortionists are heroes and deserve prizes?!

How so?

I thought you hated them.

Quoting Lolitalux:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN