Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Trans* woman aims to make history by climbing Mount Everest

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM
  • 21 Replies
2 moms liked this
A 35-year-old from Nepal hopes to be the first known trans person to reach the peak, aiming to prove LGBTI people can conquer any challenge
Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world, and a trans woman is hoping to conquer it.

A woman is hoping to make history by becoming the first known trans person to climb Mount Everest.

Manoj Shahi Monika, a 35-year-old from Nepal who describes herself as third gender, has lived in the shadows of the mountain’s dizzy heights for her whole life.

But now she is determined to conquer the world’s tallest peak to give a message to the world that LGBTI people can take on any challenge.

‘I cannot afford to miss the opportunity to make the record for climbing Everest as a member from the LGBT community,’ she said, who wants to be listed in the Guinness Book of Records.

Monika is dreaming to flutter the national flag together with a banner of Blue Diamond Society, a LGBT rights group in Nepal, on top of the mountain.

Several attempts have been made by trans people before to make the climb, with a couple of famous examples.

Over 60 years ago, a trans reporter at The Times Jan Morris in 1953 was the first to break the news of the first successful ascent of Mount Everest.

She was partway up the mountain and had to climb down in dangerous dusk to relay the message to London that a Sherpa and a New Zealander had conquered the peak.

And 19 years prior, British climber Maurice Wilson attempted and possibly reached the peak before she died.

We know very little about her ascent, but some have argued that she was trans. At the time, she was seen as mad, eccentric and incapable of making it to the top.

The climb, seen as one of the most desirable peaks in the world for mountaineers, has claimed the lives of over 200 people.

- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/trans-woman-aims-make-history-climbing-mount-everest120314#sthash.BINtvs5x.dpuf

No matter what a woman looks like, if she's confident, she's sexy. -Paris Hilton

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Why if this person wants to be considered a third gender is this report labeling them as a female? I thought it was considerate to bow to whatever people wanted to be called now.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

She'd make news irrespective of her gender.

Good grief.

I think only half black, blind, diabetic, left-handed, trans MTFs, who weren't allowed to be cheerleaders in high school should get to climb Mt. Everest from now on.

Until they catch up. 

Lolitalux
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Maybe she wants to be called female?

Quoting Canvas_says:

Why if this person wants to be considered a third gender is this report labeling them as a female? I thought it was considerate to bow to whatever people wanted to be called now.

Lolitalux
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I think you're ignorant. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Good grief.

I think only half black, blind, diabetic, left-handed, trans MTFs, who weren't allowed to be cheerleaders in high school should get to climb Mt. Everest from now on.

Until they catch up. 

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Just going on what is written in the piece.

Quoting Lolitalux:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Lolitalux
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Then why are you saying the report labels her as female it didn't say anything about female it said thrid gender. Should they have said "It" instead of she? 

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting Lolitalux:

Quoting Canvas_says:

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The writer of this article uses the term female, and she several places inside of the article while noting that the actual person considers themselves a third gender. So to be fair it should read them, they, or person instead of assigning a gender that they don't believe they are. I mean it's all about being PC

Quoting Lolitalux:

Then why are you saying the report labels her as female it didn't say anything about female it said thrid gender. Should they have said "It" instead of she? 

Quoting Canvas_says:

Quoting Lolitalux:

Quoting Canvas_says:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:24 PM
3 moms liked this

You're ignorant. 

Personal accomplishments have nothing do do with one's trans gender, skin color, etc.

Quoting Lolitalux:

I think you're ignorant. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Good grief.

Until they catch up. 

Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't be silly Sally that would mean "equality" existed. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

You're ignorant. 

Personal accomplishments have nothing do do with one's trans gender, skin color, etc.

Quoting Lolitalux:

I think you're ignorant. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Good grief.

Until they catch up. 

mcdun
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

That is true; however, you can't deny that there have been groups of people that have kept those of specific gender or skin color from achieving their potential that is why some accomplishments are not worthy when certain groups of people accomplish them. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

You're ignorant. 

Quoting Lolitalux:

I think you're ignorant. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Good grief.

Until they catch up. 

I  bet  you  make  your  daddy  proud

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)