Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Republicans unhappy with 12 Years a Slave’s Oscar win

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM
  • 12 Replies

The decision to award race drama 12 Years a Slave the 2014 Oscar for best film was unpopular among supporters of America’s Republican party, according to a new study.

Only 15% of participants who identified as Republican voters said they felt the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had made the right choice for the annual awards ceremony’s top prize. The figure compared to 53% of Democratic party supporters who said Steve McQueen’s slavery biopic, which also won best adapted screenplay (for John Ridley) and best supporting actress (for Lupita Nyong’o), deserved its success. Overall, 52% of respondents told Public Policy Polling they were not sure which film should have won.

The survey of 1,152 registered voters, which was carried out online and via the telephone, suggests attitudes towards 12 Years a Slave’s harrowing depiction of the realities of slavery in the antebellum deep south are divided sharply on political lines.

12 Years a Slave was not feted by the Obama administration in the run up to the Oscars. The president chose instead to praise another film with a civil rights theme, Lee Daniels’ The ButlerA White House screening was also staged for the Nelson Mandela biopic Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Because they believe slavery was butterflies and unicorns
Canvas_says
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Or much like the few Oscar voters who voted for the movie some haven't seen the movie, or possibly preferred another instead. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

So what?

Libs/progs chose "12 Years a Slave" for political reasons.

Not all conservatives/libertarians did.

Not rocket science.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Several of the academy members who voted for the film  admitted that they hadn't even watched the movie.

Quoting SallyMJ:

So what?

Libs/progs chose "12 Years a Slave" for political reasons.

Not all conservatives/libertarians did.

Not rocket science.

MotherOfPurpose
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Who's idea was it to waste time and money doing a poll about a film. Looking at the rest of poll the question about the film doesn't even fit into the context of the poll based on the other poll questions unless your trying to race bait.

Isn't stuff like this up to the OSCAR voters anyway

Not be snarky but isn't the fact that alot of average ppl can't afford to even go to the movies regularly anymore to see any of these films a bigger issue than whether a specific film should have won a trophy or not.

MsJane66
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM

The Republicans still think they won the last two Presidential Elections.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

How is that?

Quoting MsJane66:

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MsJane66:

How badly are Republican voters taking the results of the 2012 election? Pretty badly, according to the latest numbers from Public Policy Polling. Fully one-quarter of the Republicans they surveyed want their state to secede from the Union, "compared to 56% who want to stay and 19% who aren't sure." That's a real blow for patriotism, and it also indicates that the word hasn't gotten out about the GOP's successes in redistricting. But if there's one part of the poll that sums up what a terrible place Republican voters are in, emotionally, it's this:

49% of GOP voters nationally say they think that ACORN stole the election for President Obama. We found that 52% of Republicans thought that ACORN stole the 2008 election for Obama, so this is a modest decline, but perhaps smaller than might have been expected given that ACORN doesn't exist anymore.

It's almost as if a large portion of the GOP electorate lives inside an impenetrable bubble of bullroar, or something?

(source)

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Quoting MsJane66:

As the 2012 election approached, conservative enthusiasm grew. Mitt Romney was drawing huge crowds while Barack Obama spoke in half-filled stadiums. All the passion lay on the right while the left was discouraged with a promised messiah who proved merely a politician. And the prediction was that, in contrast to 2008, Republican turnout would dwarf the tuned-out and carry the day. Hence the shock November 6 eve. How could Romney lose, especially by such a wide electoral margin?

Maybe he didn't

At least not legitimately.

When I predicted Obama's re-election, I stated that, despite our country's inexorable leftist slide, Romney would still win on Election Day were it not for vote fraud. I explained that the Democrats could steal more than enough votes in crucial swing states to turn the election. And I still believe what I did then: electoral criminality put Obama over the top.

(source)

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Quoting MsJane66:

We are being asked to believe that Romney got close to three million fewer votes in 2012 than John McCain got in 2008.

That’s not possible. 
 This election is a fraud. 

I don’t know exactly how – rigging voting machines, hacking tabulation software, whatever. What I do know is that it is totally beyond inevitability and into the realm of ridiculously absurd that Romney actually got any fewer votes than McCain in 2008, much less millions fewer.

I hate going down a conspiracy road, but yes I believe the election was stolen, and the implications of that are very bad.

(source)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN