Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Kobe Bryant Incurs Wrath of the Left Over His Comments on Trayvon Martin Case

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Eds
  • 4 Replies

Kobe Bryant Incurs Wrath of the Left Over His Comments on Trayvon Martin Case

Discussing the divisive Trayvon Martin case in an interview with The New Yorker, NBA star Kobe Bryant said he doesn’t support defending someone just because they are black.

Credit: AP

Credit: AP

He appeared to be referring to the aftermath of the shooting death of Martin. Many people and political commentators seemingly rushed to assume George Zimmerman was guilty of murder before a trial ever occurred. One of the topics discussed was how members of the Miami Heat wore hoodies in Martin’s memory two years ago.

“I won’t react to something just because I’m supposed to, because I’m an African-American. That argument doesn’t make any sense to me,” Bryant said. “So we want to advance as a society and a culture, but, say, if something happens to an African-American we immediately come to his defense? Yet you want to talk about how far we’ve progressed as a society? Well, we’ve progressed as a society, then don’t jump to somebody’s defense just because they’re African-American. You sit and you listen to the facts just like you would in any other situation, right? So I won’t assert myself.”

Notice that he didn’t give his opinion on whether he believes Zimmerman is guilty. It was more of a cultural observation. He pointed out that he likes to wait for all the facts before forming an opinion.

Still, his comments were enough to incur the wrath of the left — even though he clarified in a later tweet that he believes Martin was “wronged” and the “system did not work.” That was an opinion he says he came to after listening to the facts of the case.

Take a look at some of the outrage his comments generated via Mediaite:

Jahmaiah... @touchthaskye

I'm hoping that Kobe didn't know anything about the Trayvon Martin case. People didn't support Trayvon solely because he was black.

by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM
It was more of a cultural observation. He pointed out that he likes to wait for all the facts before forming an opinion

I agree. And the fact is a kid was gunned down by a power hungry lunatic..

Roisin07
by Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM

If only everyone else in America said and believed this today we'd all be a better  people. I applaud him. I don't know his stance on the trial, but at least he will judge it on what it should be judged on, the evidence.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

The left does not cotton to the ones that leave the Liberal Plantation.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Yep

Quoting Roisin07:

If only everyone else in America said and believed this today we'd all be a better  people. I applaud him. I don't know his stance on the trial, but at least he will judge it on what it should be judged on, the evidence.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)