Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Rand Study: Vast Majority of Obamacare 'Enrollees' Already Had Insurance

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:57 AM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

An unreleased study by the Rand Corporation reportedly reveals that only "about one-third" of the 7.04 million Obamacare enrollees the White House is claiming were people who were previously uninsured. 

The Los Angeles Times reported on the study and is the only news outlet so far that has seen the secret Rand study.

Moreover, a McKinsey & Co. study says that just 53% of the previously uninsured have paid their first premium and activated their coverage. That would mean that just 1.2 million of those the White House calls "enrollees" are actually paying Obamacare customers who were previously uninsured. 

Obamacare's purported purpose was to provide coverage for America's 48.6 million uninsured people. Based on the Rand study, Obamacare has provided private insurance for only 2.5% of America's uninsured.

The highly unpopular Obamacare program has Democratic strategists and candidates scrambling for cover. One prominent Democratic pollster told Politico that the best thing Democrats can do is change the subject.

"The less we're talking about Obamacare, the better off we are," said the pollster.

The latest Associated Press poll shows Obamacare has hit an all-time low approval rating of just 26%

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bee78
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

What an utter boondoggle.  It was intended to fail anyway, all roads leading to single payer.  We have to dismantle this fast.

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Well if you ignore the fact that just about every system in this country is fucked already anyway... I wonder how many of the uninsured are now on Medicaid and if those figures are included in the 2.5% insured.
Bee78
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Not sure.  But I definitely agree with you that the system is fucked (we can say fuck here?  cause I wanted to...lol).  I see it as more an issue of control, hence my desire to get rid of it.  The argument that pretty much every government program is screwed makes my point, actually.  :)

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM

According to the LA Times artifcle cited, not, they are not.

Quoting Schauseil: Well if you ignore the fact that just about every system in this country is fucked already anyway... I wonder how many of the uninsured are now on Medicaid and if those figures are included in the 2.5% insured.

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Well in that case there are probably a lot more people that are now insured that previously were not, they are just not paying for it. I have insurance now that I don't pay for. I would, I don't mind paying pay paying a tax once a year, even up to say, 500 dollars. But I support universal health care where everyone except for the elderly unemployed and disabled pay a tax.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

According to the LA Times artifcle cited, not, they are not.

Quoting Schauseil: Well if you ignore the fact that just about every system in this country is fucked already anyway... I wonder how many of the uninsured are now on Medicaid and if those figures are included in the 2.5% insured.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I was at an office yesterday and it was amazing to listen to the office ask the clients.."you still have x,y,z insurance?"..and 99% of them said "no".. The only one that said yes..was one who was on two insurances and said that she was still on one but not on the other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)