Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

President Obama Wants Answers in 2nd Fort Hood Shooting in 5 Years

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
  • 61 Replies

[UPDATED] President Obama Wants Answers in 2nd Fort Hood Shooting in 5 Years

by Jenny Erikson

Fort HoodAnother shooting has taken place at the Fort Hood Military base, less than five years after Nidal Hasan opened fire and killed 13 people (including a pregnant female soldier) and injured 32 others.

This time the shooting is being reported as a "soldier on soldier" incident, rather than a potential terror attack. Several reports are emerging that it was a lone shooter who took his own life. NBC News is reporting that officials identified 34-year-old Ivan Lopez as the gunman, but would not confirm if he was in uniform, or the alleged suicide.

At least eight have been injured, but conflicting reports mention as many as 14. At least four of those wounded are in "extremely grave" condition, according to U.S. military officials.

The shooting occured about 4:30 P.M. (5:30 P.M. ET), and the base's emergency alert system went off immediately. Personnel were instructed to "shelter in place."

Nearby residents like Antonio Ortiz, 30, said they were scared for their children, because they heard the alarms but didn't know what was going on. He said he went outside when he heard the commotion, and back in when he heard the announcement to stay inside. He says he heard gunshots as he turned his TV on to find out what was going on.

"It sounded powerful,” he said, adding that while it seemed to be coming from the base, he couldn't rule out the possibility someone in the civilian neighborhood was shooting.

"I’m scared for my son. He’s 7," Ortiz said. "But I do have a 12-gauge pump shotgun."

President Obama addressed the shooting shortly after it happened, saying, "We're heartbroken something like this might have happened again ... we're following it closely. The situation is fluid right now ... I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened."

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel echoed the president's sentiments, saying the incident was a "terrible tragedy," and that it's under investigation. "We don't have all the facts yet. We will get those," he said.

I'm hoping they do, because opening fire on the brave men and women that serve our country in uniform is truly deplorable. The soldiers that were injured, or even possibly killed today deserve some answers.

Update 4/3/14 12:37 A.M. ET: The shooter has been confirmed as Spc. Ivan Lopez. He killed three people and wounded 16 others before taking his own life. He was being treated for depression and anxiety, and evaluated for post-traumatic stress disorder, but had not been diagnosed with it yet. He served four months in Iraq in 2011.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM
3 moms liked this

Sure he does.

vic270
by Vic on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm sure he will get right on that one like he has every other thing that needed his attention, yeah I think his nickname should be Johnny On the spot.

vic270
by Vic on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I wonder how hard it was for him to leave his fundraiser to make a statement last night. .

Quoting Billiejeens:

Sure he does.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Can I get a vote for - Headcase Hussein

Quoting vic270:

I'm sure he will get right on that one like he has every other thing that needed his attention, yeah I think his nickname should be Johnny On the spot.

vic270
by Vic on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

yep and if you don't need ID then I will give you several

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting vic270:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope.

Requiring ID is racist.

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting vic270:

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM
4 moms liked this

I live in Central Texas, not far from Fort Hood.

I myself am a former soldier, during the Cold War.

This actually could have happened anywhere.

The two shootings have this in common:  Both were soldiers that were having mental problems.  

I believe now that this has happened it stands to reason that many procedures and elements of safety on a Military post are going to be re-evaluated:  for example, the entrances, where, there will have to be thorough checks conducted.

It also alerts the Military to the problem of men coming back from serving overseas, that are still in the military, but readjusting to society.

I don't know the answer to this problem:  but the red flags were there.

The President, in this issue, carries a great deal of influence.  

May the answers come to prevent another tragedy like this from happening.

Veronica-Army Security Agency-Russian Voice Intercept Operator in West Berlin, Germany while the Wall was still up:  1974-1976.

Veronica

vic270
by Vic on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM

then I can vote a bunch.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Nope.

Requiring ID is racist.

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting vic270:

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM
"___________ is the first thing I think about when I wake up. __________ is the last thing I think about when I go to sleep."
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Dang, I had no idea you were a Democrat.

Quoting vic270:

then I can vote a bunch.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Nope.

Requiring ID is racist.

Quoting vic270:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting vic270:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)