• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Same-sex marriage is ‘a sin, just the same as murder’

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM
  • 87 Replies

Oregon GOP candidate for governor: Same-sex marriage is ‘a sin, just the same as murder’

By David Ferguson
Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:41 EDT

Lorraine Mae Rafferty via MaeForGovernor dot com

A Republican candidate for the governorship of Oregon said in a meeting with the Oregoniannewspaper that she views same-sex marriage as a sin on par with murder. The Oregonian’sHarry Esteve reported that candidate Lorraine Mae Rafferty believes the same about abortion.

Rafferty hails from Selma, OR, a tiny town south of Grants Pass, and has never held elected office. She believes, however, that someone must challenge current GOP frontrunner Rep. Dennis Richardson because of Richardson’s support for trade with China.

“I was concerned about some of his ideology,” she told Esteve, “what he calls his ‘Made in Oregon’ plan, which sounds all great, but is actually designed to encourage Chinese businesses to settle in Oregon. I believe this is America’s land, in spite of the fact that our politicians are selling us out constantly.”

When Esteve asked about her social conservatism, Rafferty said that he has listened to the other Republican candidates and found them lacking.

“I would have to say that I definitely believe that [same-sex marriage] is wrong,” she said. “I believe it’s a sin, just the same as murder’s a sin.”

On abortion, she said, “I believe that would be murder. I’m against abortion. I think it’s kind of misunderstood. People don’t really understand and, you know, I wish that people, if I become governor, I think that would be one of my things, that maybe some kind of an education thing to — maybe even if I payed for it out of my own pocket — to try to get people to understand that, um, a baby in the womb is a human being.”

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM

BUMP!

Debmomto2girls
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:14 PM
6 moms liked this

Well, I am glad I am wrong abuot how hateful some "Christians" are...lol!!! 

Also, if she wants to run for office, I hope she gets help with her language skills.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this

You can't fix stupid. 

1stmuslimah
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM
3 moms liked this

If she is a Christian it is not abnormal for her to think that both are sins of the same level. In Christianity the teaching is that a sin is a sin and no matter what that sin is in the eyes of God one sin is not any worse or any better than another but all sin is equally wrong and of the same level.

In Islam we do have different levels of sin. Same sex marriage or homosexuality period is a very serious sin but it is not the worse. The #1 worse sin and only sin that is unforgivable is to worship any other deity than the one God of Abraham, murder is the second worse sin one can commit but it is forgivable by God like all others except the first. After these 2 worse sins would start to come the others. I'm not exactly sure what exact level homosexuality would fall but it is up there at the top as one of the worse sins some one can commit probably not far below murder or violence.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

And gossip, and cheating, and lying, and theft, and adultery.

They are the same to God.

But we humans draw distinctions.

BREATHE, PJ. It's going to be OK...

1stmuslimah
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Well, I am glad I am wrong abuot how hateful some "Christians" are...lol!!! 

Also, if she wants to run for office, I hope she gets help with her language skills.

For some (not just Christians) there is hate but this belief is not about hate it is the teachings of Christianity and the the teachings of the Bible that all sins are equally wrong in the eyes of God. Many Christians who really follow the teachings of Christianity also live up to "hate the sin, not the sinner"

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Hey Creep!

I'm fine. Thanks for being all concerned and such. Please stop with the creepy shit it's starting to freak me out. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

And gossip, and cheating, and theft.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Why are you so creepy today?

Gives me the creeps. And the heebie-jeebies.

I would swear you have no sense of humor at this very moment.

The lady in distress meme was a nice touch.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Hey Creep!

I'm fine. Thanks for being all concerned and such. Please stop with the creepy shit it's starting to freak me out. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Why are you being creepy? I don't know. Tell us.

I don't find you humorous. Especially when you tell me you are watching me and I will reap something followed by some religious mumbo jumbo.

SMH

Quoting SallyMJ:

Why are you so creepy today?

Gives me the creeps. And the heebie-jeebies.

I would swear you have no sense of humor at this very moment.

The lady in distress meme was a nice touch.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Hey Creep!

Quoting SallyMJ:

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM
2 moms liked this

So lying is as bad as murder and same sex marriage? Also don't some people believe that we are responsible for everyone who sins? If so, you do realize we are all going to "hell" correct?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)