• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gosnell movie: Kickstarter sent non-acceptance 'acceptance letter' (after censoring filmmakers and receiving media inquiries)

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 22 Replies

Yancey Strickler, CEO of the fundraising site Kickstarter, sent a tweet to Breitbart News Thursday claiming that a story published that same day about his fundraising company Kickstarter is incorrect.

Strickler claims he did not reject a project submitted by filmmakers Ann McElhinney and Phelim McAleer that was intended to raise money for a film about abortion doctor and serial killer Kermit Gosnell. In the tweet, Strickler included a copy of the acceptance letter [see below].

--

Using Twitter, McAleer responded quickly [I've cleaned up the text; original is embedded below.], "We withdrew, you got media inquiries and then sent [the acceptance letter] to cover your hypocrisy."

--

1. @GosnellMovie @BreitbartNews This story is false. Here's a screenshot of the acceptance email sent to the creators: pic.twitter.com/CGvtqqy9Gm

@ystrickler @GosnellMovie @BreitbartNews u censored r project-we withdrew-u got media inquiries and then sent email to cover ur hypocrisy

--

The timeline certainly backs up McAleer's claim. Regardless, I don't know of anyone who would read that Kickstarter letter of acceptance [see above] as anything close to a letter of acceptance.

At the bottom, the letter contains a major disclaimer that still allows Kickstarter to pull the Gosnell project from its website over anything they find objectionable. That is not an "acceptance" Rather, it's a "Go ahead and publish but we'll still pull it if or unless…" letter.  

The only thing that would ultimately prove Kickstarter accepted the project is if they had sent a letter stating that as submitted the Gosnell project met Kickstarter's guidelines. But based on the correspondence between Kickstarter and the filmmakers the day before, the acceptance letter offered absolutely no assurance and resolved nothing.

Two emails sent from Kickstarter to McElhinney and McAleer less than 24 hours prior to the time stamp on the so-called "acceptance letter" raised major objections to the Gosnell project's use of the phrase "1000s of babies stabbed to death."

Furthermore, both emails made clear that without the removal of that phrase, the project would not meet Kickstarter's community guidelines.

Nothing in the acceptance letter suggests that Kickstarter had changed its mind about the dispute. Therefore, the disclaimer in this so-called acceptance letter would allow Kickstarter to both "accept" the project and still remove it over the "1000s of babies stabbed to death" wording.

No reasonable person would consider such a thing an "acceptance letter."

Combine this with the fact that the same day Kickstarter emailed its acceptance letter,The Hollywood Reporter dropped its story about the Gosnell movie that included the filmmakers' complaints about being censored by Kickstarter.

If, as McAleer claims, Kickstarter received media inquiries before emailing the acceptance letter, not only is the acceptance letter definitely not what it claims to be, it was cynically motivated as a CYA public relations maneuver to muddy the waters of the fundraising site's behavior.

Ultimately, the Gosnell project was moved to Indiegogo. You can support the fundraising effort here.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Ghouls
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I know - Gosnell is absolutely a ghoul. 

And we need to get the word out.

Quoting -Celestial-: Ghouls

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Hmm some Irish writers looking to raise some funds so they can get a Lifetime movie in play.

Gosnell is just a major serial killer .... Do we really need another bio-pic of a sick serial killer?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, my guess is that you don't say that about the lesser convicted serial killers.

Just the ones who happen to also be abortionists and kill born babies with scissors to the spinal cord.

So that seems to say more about you than the filmmakers.

And sounds like you don't like Americans of Irish and Polish descent. And you libs/progs claim to be so tolerant and to love diversity!

Ironic.

Quoting Donna6503: Hmm some Irish writers looking to raise some funds so they can get a Lifetime movie in play. Gosnell is just a major serial killer .... Do we really need another bio-pic of a sick serial killer?

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Actually they're not Americans ... They are from Ireland; you know, like aliens, those type of people that you folks on the right love to hate. I, as a liberal believe that the greatness of Americans can be found in our great multicultural motto, "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one. Sorta sad, Sally that you only care about white people; but, I do feel you should love America and its' wonderful motto.

Still, not to get side tract, honestly, I don't know what you mean about saying things about lesser serial killers .... I just don't care for serial killers of any type nor should any of em be consider "better" than any other serial killer.

Nor do I care for any movies, books, fanfare for such people.

Please note, this man killed babies, he murdered babies for years. You don't care about that ... All you care about is using this sick person's story to help spread you political rhetoric and propaganda.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Well, my guess is that you don't say that about the lesser convicted serial killers.

Just the ones who happen to also be abortionists and kill born babies with scissors to the spinal cord.

And sounds like you don't like Americans of Irish and Polish descent. And you libs/progs claim to be so tolerant and to love diversity!

Ironic.

Quoting Donna6503: Hmm some Irish writers looking to raise some funds so they can get a Lifetime movie in play.

Gosnell is just a major serial killer .... Do we really need another bio-pic of a sick serial killer?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

So I guess Irish people aren't allowed to make documentaries about American criminals, is that it?

The Polish filmmaker is American. Sorry, I made a mistake. Bad me.

The motto is not multicultural, it is uni-cultural. "Out of many, one."

Sad that you care only about hyphenated groups of color, and not all Americans.

I think you mean "sidetracked."

"Lesser serial killers" was ironic, Donna. It means that you care more about serial killers who have killed fewer people, but less about this man who has killed more people - and I mean people even YOU would consider people. That's not even considering aborted babies - whom you would not count, but we would.

Irony is the name of the game here. It's not that hard to figure out.

No, you are the one who does not care. I care about people killed whom you would consider people, and those whom you do not.

He's still the number one serial killer, either way you count.

Quoting Donna6503: Actually they're not Americans ... They are from Ireland; you know, like aliens, those type of people that you folks on the right love to hate. I, as a liberal believe that the greatness of Americans can be found in our great multicultural motto, "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one. Sorta sad, Sally that you only care about white people; but, I do feel you should love America and its' wonderful motto. Still, not to get side tract, honestly, I don't know what you mean about saying things about lesser serial killers .... I just don't care for serial killers of any type nor should any of em be consider "better" than any other serial killer. Nor do I care for any movies, books, fanfare for such people. Please note, this man killed babies, he murdered babies for years. You don't care about that ... All you care about is using this sick person's story to help spread you political rhetoric and propaganda.
Quoting SallyMJ:

Ironic.

Quoting Donna6503: Hmm some Irish writers looking to raise some funds so they can get a Lifetime movie in play. Gosnell is just a major serial killer .... Do we really need another bio-pic of a sick serial killer?

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Thanks Sally for catching my grammar mistake.

Still, the film isn't a documentary; but instead, they're planning for a drama.

E pluribus unum is a multicultural motto. It's was meant to included everybody. Where exactly did I say I say hyphenated group of color? On fact, how do you get that out of " ... you should love America ..." Actually, you've been the only person to talk about (any) group of people.

Yet, we shouldn't care about a drama regarding a serial killer nor should you care to attach a political agenda to such a film.

Quoting SallyMJ:

So I guess Irish people aren't allowed to make documentaries about American criminals, is that it?

"Lesser serial killers" was ironic, Donna. It means that you care more about serial killers who have killed fewer people, but less about this man who has killed more people - and I mean people even YOU would consider people. That's not even considering aborted babies - whom you would not count, but we would.

No, you are the one who does not care. I care about people killed whom you would consider people, and those whom you do not.

Quoting Donna6503: Actually they're not Americans ... They are from Ireland; you know, like aliens, those type of people that you folks on the right love to hate. I, as a liberal believe that the greatness of Americans can be found in our great multicultural motto, "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one. Sorta sad, Sally that you only care about white people; but, I do feel you should love America and its' wonderful motto.

Still, not to get side tract, honestly, I don't know what you mean about saying things about lesser serial killers .... I just don't care for serial killers of any type nor should any of em be consider "better" than any other serial killer.

Please note, this man killed babies, he murdered babies for years. You don't care about that ... All you care about is using this sick person's story to help spread you political rhetoric and propaganda.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Ironic.

Quoting Donna6503: Hmm some Irish writers looking to raise some funds so they can get a Lifetime movie in play.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM

It's a docu-drama.

You've heard of those. This isn't the first time a film has been made of a serial killer.

But it won't create facts out of whole cloth, like an Oliver Stone films do.

And again, this is one where the media did their best to avoid it - because it was about abortion, and the media wanted to make abortion look good.

Aren't you even familiar with the liberals who said they didn't cover Gosnell, and they should have? Here's a link to the best story I saw by a liberal who said this. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/12/why-the-mainstream-media-is-not-covering-the-gosnell-abortion-trial.html

The focus on "E pluribus unum" is on "unum." That's the problem, because the focus on cultural diversity is on "pluribus." There is no point of "e pluribus unum" if the many don't become one.

When people don't become culturally American, our society breaks down. 

Quoting Donna6503: Thanks Sally for catching my grammar mistake. Still, the film isn't a documentary; but instead, they're planning for a drama. E pluribus unum is a multicultural motto. It's was meant to included everybody. Where exactly did I say I say hyphenated group of color? On fact, how do you get that out of " ... you should love America ..." Actually, you've been the only person to talk about (any) group of people. Yet, we shouldn't care about a drama regarding a serial killer nor should you care to attach a political agenda to such a film.
Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Donna6503: Actually they're not Americans ... They are from Ireland; you know, like aliens, those type of people that you folks on the right love to hate. I, as a liberal believe that the greatness of Americans can be found in our great multicultural motto, "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one. Sorta sad, Sally that you only care about white people; but, I do feel you should love America and its' wonderful motto. Still, not to get side tract, honestly, I don't know what you mean about saying things about lesser serial killers .... I just don't care for serial killers of any type nor should any of em be consider "better" than any other serial killer. Nor do I care for any movies, books, fanfare for such people. Please note, this man killed babies, he murdered babies for years. You don't care about that ... All you care about is using this sick person's story to help spread you political rhetoric and propaganda.
Quoting SallyMJ:

Ironic.

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Wow Sally, I actually agree with you on that last sentence.

All kidding aside; how can the media take (and make) Gosnell and yes his story to "make abortions look good." That is impossible.

The media didn't ignore this story, we know he killed hundreds if not thousands and convicted for three, and other charges like fraud and such. We know that infanticide is just two years I'm PA. Hopefully that will change. We know all aspects of this case.

In reality, it is not the media, it's the American public that doesn't care about this case.

Quoting SallyMJ:

It's a docu-drama.

You've heard of those. This isn't the first time a film has been made of a serial killer.

And again, this is one where the media did their best to avoid it - because it was about abortion, and the media wanted to make abortion look good.

Aren't you even familiar with the liberals who said they didn't cover Gosnell, and they should have? Here's a link to the best story I saw by a liberal who said this. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/12/why-the-mainstream-media-is-not-covering-the-gosnell-abortion-trial.html

The focus on "E pluribus unum" is on "unum." That's the problem, because the focus on cultural diversity is on "pluribus." There is no point of "e pluribus unum" if the many don't become one.

Quoting Donna6503: Thanks Sally for catching my grammar mistake.

Still, the film isn't a documentary; but instead, they're planning for a drama.

E pluribus unum is a multicultural motto. It's was meant to included everybody. Where exactly did I say I say hyphenated group of color? On fact, how do you get that out of " ... you should love America ..." Actually, you've been the only person to talk about (any) group of people.

Yet, we shouldn't care about a drama regarding a serial killer nor should you care to attach a political agenda to such a film.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Donna6503: Actually they're not Americans ... They are from Ireland; you know, like aliens, those type of people that you folks on the right love to hate. I, as a liberal believe that the greatness of Americans can be found in our great multicultural motto, "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one. Sorta sad, Sally that you only care about white people; but, I do feel you should love America and its' wonderful motto.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Ironic.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:46 AM

The MSM DID ignore the story. They admitted they purposely ignored it.

Read the article I referred you to, written by a pro-choice liberal female reporter, who said she consciously ignored it. But she shouldn't have.

It is a good read for conservative and liberal alike.

It's The Daily Beast, for God's sake, not Fox News.

I'd love to know your reaction.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/12/why-the-mainstream-media-is-not-covering-the-gosnell-abortion-trial.html

Quoting Donna6503: Wow Sally, I actually agree with you on that last sentence. All kidding aside; how can the media take (and make) Gosnell and yes his story to "make abortions look good." That is impossible. The media didn't ignore this story, we know he killed hundreds if not thousands and convicted for three, and other charges like fraud and such. We know that infanticide is just two years I'm PA. Hopefully that will change. We know all aspects of this case. In reality, it is not the media, it's the American public that doesn't care about this case.
Quoting SallyMJ:

It's a docu-drama.

Quoting Donna6503: Thanks Sally for catching my grammar mistake. Still, the film isn't a documentary; but instead, they're planning for a drama. E pluribus unum is a multicultural motto. It's was meant to included everybody. Where exactly did I say I say hyphenated group of color? On fact, how do you get that out of " ... you should love America ..." Actually, you've been the only person to talk about (any) group of people. Yet, we shouldn't care about a drama regarding a serial killer nor should you care to attach a political agenda to such a film.
Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Ironic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)