Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hank Aaron Equates Modern Republicans to KKK

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM
  • 28 Replies

Racists are still around today, only they're wearing different clothes.

That was the sentiment shared by baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron in an interview Tuesday, likening Republican politicians opposing measures by President Barack Obama to the Ku Klux Klan.

Speaking to USA Today on the 40th anniversary of his breaking Babe Ruth's home run record, the 80-year-old Aaron said America today is "not that far removed" from the racial intolerance of the mid-20th century.

"We can talk about baseball. Talk about politics," Aaron said. "Sure, this country has a black president, but when you look at a black president, President Obama is left with his foot stuck in the mud from all of the Republicans with the way he’s treated.

"The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts."

Aaron, 80, added that, "We have moved in the right direction, and there have been improvements," when it comes to race relations, "but we still have a long ways to go in the country."

Aaron was honored before the Braves game against the New York Mets on Tuesday night with a ceremony commemorating the 40th anniversary of his 715th home run, hit on April 8, 1974, off Dodgers pitcher Al Downing to give him the major league record.

Story continues below video.

Your browser does not support iframes.

Aaron recalled the record pursuit as being joyless given the state of race relations in America at the time. Along the way, he received hate mail and death threats from whites angry to see a black man about to eclipse baseball's most hallowed record. He has saved every one of the letters.

According to USA Today, one of them reads: "You are [not] going to break this record established by the great Babe Ruth if I can help it. Whites are far more superior than jungle bunnies. My gun is watching your every black move."

"I was being thrown to the wolves," Aaron told USA Today. "Even though I did something great, nobody wanted to be a part of it. I was so isolated. I couldn't share it. For many years, even after Jackie Robinson, baseball was so segregated, really. You just didn't expect us to have a chance to do anything. Baseball was meant for the lily-white."

Aaron said he saved all of the hateful letters, "to remind myself that we are not that far removed from when I was chasing the record. If you think that, you are fooling yourself."

As an example, Aaron cited the decrease in U.S.-born black baseball players as evidence of modern-day structural racism. Last season, just 7.7 percent of MLB players were black.

"When I first started playing, you had a lot of black players in the major leagues," Aaron said. "Now, you don’t have any. So what progress have we made? You try to understand, but we’re going backward."

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KenneMaw
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM
7 moms liked this

Sigh....I think his judgement is clouded by his own experience.     Instead of looking at WHY there aren't more blacks in baseball, he assumes it is racism.   However, there are plenty of Latinos and Asians in MLB.   Also, let's compare whites to blacks in the NBA.    

Repulblicans don't care the the president is black.  They fight him because is a very liberal Democrat.  If the current president was white liberal, the Republicans would treat him the same way, possibly worse.  

For some people, it will always be the white man's fault. 

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:36 PM
5 moms liked this

They also come in different colors..wonder who he would equate the black panthers to.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

That's bull crap. It might be easier in this and age the way both parties have changed to find a Republican who is a racist than to fine a Democrat that is racist but you can't go by what party someone is associated with to determine if they're a racist or not.

You have to especially take into consideration that anyone who does not support Obama is considered a racist and of course Republicans wouldn't be in support of him. Myself I am not affiliated with any one party and I hate Obama so what does that make me?

My grandparents on my mothers side were registered Democrates and one does not get any more racist then they were.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Ednarooni160:

They also come in different colors..wonder who he would equate the black panthers to.

Victims, they can't possibly be racist because there is no such thing as blacks being racist against whites so that would make them victims of us whites.

LuvmyAiden
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM
5 moms liked this

Since the ORIGINAL KKK were dems I find this hilarious!

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Sadly we don't teach history in this country.

The KKK was started to be the enforcement wing of the Democratic party.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

If you had known my mothers parents who were registered Dems you would really find it hilarious. I'm sure they out did the KKK.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this
History 101 stat

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2013/jun/10/stephen-martin/state-sen-stephen-martin-says-democratic-party-cre/

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

History according to politifact. LOL

Quoting -Celestial-: History 101 stat http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2013/jun/10/stephen-martin/state-sen-stephen-martin-says-democratic-party-cre/
Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Thanks for the Feature Cafemom!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)