Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

'Gospel of Jesus' Wife' Papyrus Is Ancient, Not Fake, Scientists And Scholars Say

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM
  • 139 Replies
1 mom liked this

'Gospel of Jesus' Wife' Papyrus Is Ancient, Not Fake, Scientists And Scholars Say

Posted: Updated:

An ancient, business-card-sized papyrus fragment that appears to quote Jesus Christ discussing his wife is real, Harvard University announced Thursday. The fragment caused international uproar when it was revealed by a Harvard historian in September 2012, with prominent academics and the Vatican swiftly deeming it a forgery.

Harvard officials said scientists both within and outside the university extensively tested the papyrus and carbon ink of the badly aged fragment, dubbed the "Gospel of Jesus' Wife." The document, written in Coptic, a language of ancient Egyptian Christians, is made up of eight mostly legible dark lines on the front and six barely legible faded lines on the back. The handwriting and grammar were also examined over the last year and a half to confirm its authenticity. Scientists have concluded the fragment dates back to at least the sixth to ninth centuries, and possibly as far back as the fourth century.

The document was never meant to prove Jesus was married, Harvard Divinity School professor Karen L. King emphasized Thursday. Instead, she argued, it's meant to highlight that some early Christians may have believed Jesus was married. The distinction is significant because debates over sexuality and marriage have dominated contemporary discussions about Christianity; the Catholic Church cites Jesus' celibacy as one reason its priests must not have sex or marry.

"The main topic of the fragment is to affirm that women who are mothers and wives can be disciples of Jesus -- a topic that was hotly debated in early Christianity as celibate virginity increasingly became highly valued," King, whose specialties include Coptic literature, Gnosticism and women in the Bible, said in a statement Thursday. "This gospel fragment provides a reason to reconsider what we thought we knew by asking what the role claims of Jesus' marital status played historically in early Christian controversies over marriage, celibacy, and family."

The legible lines on the front of the artifact seem to form a broken conversation between Jesus and his disciples. The fourth line of the text says, "Jesus said to them, my wife." Line 5 says "... she will be able to be my disciple," while the line before the "wife" quote has Jesus saying "Mary is worthy of it" and line 7 says, “As for me, I dwell with her in order to ..."

Front of fragment with translation

by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Of course he was married, probably had kids also. He was just another egotistical man who thought he was gods gift to the world.
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:04 PM
8 moms liked this

People who don't believe in Christ believe he wrote it?

That's just like these people.

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:19 PM
5 moms liked this

As a Christian, I believe there will be many things in the end times that will appear on the earth to reinforce who Jesus was.

It is up to us to choose if a relic will support our faith or not. Catholics are not required to adopt a relic as truth:  It is a matter of faith.  It is a choice.

I also believe there will be things that will appear on the earth to invoke us to stay true to what we believe as Christians.

I believe the Bible first of all....

This relic does not change my mind about Jesus.

Veronica

IhartU
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Just because it shown to be an actual ancient text doesn't mean what's written on it is true. You don't think ancient people made up stories and chracters?

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My self I have nothing to back this up with believe that Jesus was most likely married than not. Having read allot of the New Testament even with the differences in stories between Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John unless I have missed something does not back up my personal belief as the Quran which speaks quite a bit about Jesus especially in the book of Mariam named after Jesus mother does not mention it.

I think he most likely was married because back then which has not changed much a person of that culture and being from that region it is very odd to be 33 year old and never have been married. Marriage is considered a big deal. I say 33 because if I remember correctly that was his age when as the belief tells it according to Christianity he was crucified. Muslims don't believe he was crucified but believe on his way to crucifixion God spared his life and ascended him to Heaven alive to wait his return (2nd coming). So based on him being spared on the way to execution I figure he must have been 33 like the Gospels say.

I don't know that I believe this new finding of this clothe has anything to do with the wife Jesus may have had. For one Jesus spoke Aramaic which is a Semitic language in which Semitic languages are of Hebrew and certain dialect of Arabic. It is a very ancient religion one you will not find a book or a lesson on which makes me proud to say due to my daughters father being of Semitic Arab the speaks Aramaic as well as Arabic. I have learned through out the years from hearing them and my daughter has taught me some.

Cpotic is an Egyptian language it too is very ancient and you also will not find a book or a class on how to speak it. It is the language of Egyptian Christians so unless Jesus married an Egyptian his wife he may have had would speak Coptic while Jesus spoke Aramaic meaning one or the other or both would have had to learn each others language in which both are not easy languages to learn.

Also back then as allot of still today in that culture it is very important to marry your kind, many marrying cousins or at least someone from a close tribe but defiantly someone of the same ethnicity and of the same same part of the region for mostly bloodline purposes.

Again these are all just theories of my own. I have never read any religious text to back any of this up.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

People who don't believe in Christ believe he wrote it?

That's just like these people.

Unless I'm reading you wrong which I only wondered after noticing your screen name which leads me to believe you are a Christian and one thing I never do is argue with someone about their own religion as I assume they know more about what they practice and believe than I do.

From what I know Jesus did not write the Scriptures. The Scriptures are compiled of many different books written by many different men/followers. Even in speaking of just the Gospels that's why the books are Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John and going into Romans, Act's The Philippians I not sure as to wrote those but Jesus obviously didn't write any of them being that they weren't even written until 300 years after he was gone from earth. 

Donna6503
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You must remember back then there were a lot of different things written, by different people, living in different places, speaking different languages. So some two to three hundred years after the fact (Jesus's death and resurrection) there would be different "gospels" floating around.

So when things got a touch confusing, there was a council of scholars around to determine which accounts, fits the narrative of the facts, and which were consistent in their narrations.

Many of these "other" gospels (ie like Judas, Mary, this one, etc) find that there is no know comments on such gospel 'till some 150 years after the Christian faith had started.

Yet, all the New Testament's account has know known comments (or testimony if you prefer) on such gospel .... We know there were people about the New Testament within the First Century.

Basically, you don't have any known person of authority of the first two centuries talking about the gospel of Jesus's wife.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting -Celestial-: Of course he was married, probably had kids also. He was just another egotistical man who thought he was gods gift to the world.

I think it's kind of an unfair statement to claim he an egotistical man being that he has been gone from earth for what 2000 years (?). You might not believe he was the Son of God which I don't either and you might not believe he was a Prophet which I do believe he was but you admit believing his existence as a real person. In that case if you never have I would encourage you to read up on him through the Gospels, The Quran, or any of the many other (non religious or religious) books available on the life of Jesus and you will find he was very humble person and being that I'm sure you don't believe in miracles I'll skip that and just say there are many writings of him doing good for man kind and coming to the aid of others and speaking up in defence for someone who was the underdog and being treated unfairly.

Maybe you don't have an interest to read up on it which is your choice and I respect that. that is your choice. I'm not trying to preach to you or convince you of any thing just making a suggestion.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Quoting VeronicaTex:

As a Christian, I believe there will be many things in the end times that will appear to reinforce who Jesus was.

It is up to us to choose if a relic will support our faith or not. Catholics are not required to adopt a relic as truth:  It is a matter of faith.  It is a choice.

I also believe there will be things that will appear to invoke us to stay true to what we believe as Christians.

I believe the Bible first of all....

This relic does not change my mind about Jesus.

Veronica

I'm sure that there will be many things about the life of Jesus that MIGHT come to light after his second coming.

Now I'm quiet sure as a Christian you don't believe that when he comes for his 2nd coming that he will live 40 years to finish out his life then will die for what we believe will be his first death and it will be due to natural causes. Being that that is our belief I'm sure many things about him will come out during that time of the 40 years including whether or not he was married and had kids, maybe not. It may be considered irrelevant.

All this speculating through out the years and assumptions made based on arciologist finds I feel it's a waste of time to try and piece his life together. The Scriptures including the Quran tell us what we need to know, what is important enough for us to know and I don't believe any of us will really know any facts about him otherwise until his second coming if it's even revealed then.

vic270
by Vic on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM
3 moms liked this

You know Christians go by the Bible and your opinion is invalid to a Christian. Another little tid bit of information Jesus was God's gift to the world, and I truly believe that one day you and others will find out what a gift that you had and just threw it away.

Quoting -Celestial-: Of course he was married, probably had kids also. He was just another egotistical man who thought he was gods gift to the world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN