Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Child Bride Kills Unsuspecting Husband With Poisoned Wedding Dish

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

Child Bride Kills Unsuspecting Husband With Poisoned Wedding Dish

by Jenny Erikson

PoisonA 14-year-old girl forced to marry a 35-year-old man last week got out of the arrangement by doing the only thing she believed she could -- she poisoned him.

The Nigerian child bride prepared a "celebratory meal" of rice and rat poison, which she then offered to her groom and a few of his friends who had traveled to his villiage to celebrate the nuptuals. He and one other died on the scene, and two more died later in the hospital.

Wasila Umaru has confessed to the crime, saying that she did it because she was forced to marry Umaru Sani, "a man she did not love." A spokesman for the local police said she is cooperating with them and will likely be charged with culpable homicide.

Oh honey, an arranged marriage between a 35-year-old man and a 14-year-old girl has nothing to with love, and a lot more to do with pedophilia if he had sex with her. Since the leading cause of death of women aged 15-19 across the globe is childbirth, it's probably safe to assume that most men in a similar situation would force themselves on their "wives."

Marriage before 18 is prohibited by Nigeria's Child Rights Act, but the law isn't enforced in the country's rural areas, where it's estimated that half of all girls are wed before their eighteenth birthdays.

No wonder this poor girl saw no way out of her horrific situation other than to kill her husband. Can you imagine how afraid she must have been? And God only knows if there were any other incidents that took place that she felt she had to protect herself from.

Would you have done the same thing in her shoes?

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
m.garcia21
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Idk if i would have, but i cant say i blame the poor child, i cant imagine the disgust and fear she felt still being a child and having to have sex with some creepy old slob, poor baby
Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM

smart girl. I wonder what the outcome for her will be? The marriage was illegal as it was.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Jeez.....it sucks since her only way out of being imprisoned in a forced marriage was, in her mind, to end up in a prison for real.

I hope, considering it states that marriage under 18 in Nigeria is illegal (hard to believe that the US is behind Nigeria in this regard), that she is given a break.  

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Would you have done the same thing in her shoes?

No.   I'd have hidden the rat poison bottle beneath my mother's bed, and told everyone that she prepared the dish.

Ms.KitKat
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I am just thanking God that I am not her her shoes. I do know however that many wealthy (or wealthier at least) Nigerian families are working very hard to get as many orphaned children out of that country as possible. Unfortunately, the POTUS signed a near death sentence on international adoptions and so all that is left is the lottery for visas.

cjsbmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Not sure if I would have done it, but I don't blame her for doing it. Why isn't the rule enforced in the entire country? Are rural area residents somehow less worthy of being protected from such disgusting forced marriages? 

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I don't know if I would have done that or even thought of it.  She was put in a horrible situation and was trying to protect herself and survive.  Since it is the law, I really hope they will realize that even in the rural area, she should have still been protected from that happening to her.

blueforewolf
by on Apr. 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM

no I don't think I would have, I would have probably just been miserable my whole life or killed myself- this practice is disgusting I wonder how women survive in these countries - 

Ziva65
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jcribb16:

I don't know if I would have done that or even thought of it.  She was put in a horrible situation and was trying to protect herself and survive.  Since it is the law, I really hope they will realize that even in the rural area, she should have still been protected from that happening to her.

Agreed. Not sure I would have thought of that either. The situation is horrible. That  said, its too bad she didn't hide it better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)