Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Some Cleveland Cabbies....

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:57 PM
  • 25 Replies

2014 Gay Games

About 25 cabbies working for three taxi companies out of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport are refusing to drive vehicles adorned with advertisements for the city's upcoming Gay Games, citing religious reasons. The protesting cabbies are all Muslim. Below is a tweet fromBoston Globe writer Gary Washburn that includes the advertisement in question:

This sign on top of cabs promoting the Gay Games in August has prompted some Cleveland cabbies to walk off in protest

Local press reports:

Some drivers have informed their employers that they will no longer participate in the Cleveland Hopkins' dedicated taxi cab program because of the advertisements. The affected taxi cab companies will backfill the airport's dedicated fleet with metered taxi cabs until each company can hire permanent drivers for the airport's taxi cab program. It is expected to take approximately two to three weeks to repopulate the airport's Taxi fleet.

No quotes from the protesting drivers themselves have so far been obtained by the media, but supporters of the games scheduled for August are speaking up:

"When you look at what's going on around the world it's not a huge surprise," said Gay Games Executive Director Tom Nobbe of the protest. "Even though there will be a handful of folks who are not comfortable, the vast majority and we're seeing it now are totally enthusiastic and ready to welcome all these folks into town."

A 2011 report by Ohio's WKSU looked at the religious-based opposition to the Gay Games. At the time, Christian and Jewish organizations were mentioned. The current protest by taxi drivers appears to be the first time Muslim discomfort with the games has made the news.
http://politix.topix.com/news/11620-some-cleveland-cabbies-are-refusing-to-drive-around-with-a-gay-games-advertisement
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Cab Controversy: Some Cleveland cabbies refusing to promote a major event

reports

According to Fox News, 

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:21 PM
3 moms liked this

I commend the cab drivers for defending their religious beliefs knowing they may be ridiculed and mocked. 

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I read the title and then saw the pictures before reading the article. The first thing that came to mind mind knowing most cab drivers are Muslim was Cleveland must be different than anywhere else in the USA lol. Then I read the article and it was as i would have expected it to be. I don't blame them. I would't drive around advertising something like this either. I would find a nother job if need be. Finding a job driving a cab is not hard to find. One of the reason most cab drivers are foreigners is because when they first get here they need a job right away and it's an eeasy job to get plus most of them put in 60, 70 hours a week and can make more driving all them hours then say washing dishes for 7 dollars an hour since even if they do have a degree it may not be world recognizable until they have had time for their buffer course.

So yeah it would be no skinn off my back quitting if I had to drive around with those advertizments. I would not even want strangers to think I support it.

Guess I'm just one of them old school bigots.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I agree...

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

I read the title and then saw the pictures before reading the article. The first thing that came to mind mind knowing most cab drivers are Muslim was Cleveland must be different than anywhere else in the USA lol. Then I read the article and it was as i would have expected it to be. I don't blame them. I would't drive around advertising something like this either. I would find a nother job if need be. Finding a job driving a cab is not hard to find. One of the reason most cab drivers are foreigners is because when they first get here they need a job right away and it's an eeasy job to get plus most of them put in 60, 70 hours a week and can make more driving all them hours then say washing dishes for 7 dollars an hour since even if they do have a degree it may not be world recognizable until they have had time for their buffer course.

So yeah it would be no skinn off my back quitting if I had to drive around with those advertizments. I would not even want strangers to think I support it.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

I agree...

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Not only that but if they have to drive to those events and sit there and wait for them to be over I wouldn't do it. I have no desire to see something like that especially after the photos of a gay parade that candlegal posted that just about made me sick and I had to close the post as soon as i opened it.

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting blondekosmic15:

I commend the cab drivers for defending their religious beliefs knowing they may be ridiculed and mocked. 

That's one thing about a real strong in their faith practicing Muslim. They usually wont go against their teachings even for a job. Some may break a little rule here and there if it comes down to survival but not for something like this.

There is a saying "not all money is halal money" meaning not good money.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:48 PM

That is too bad for them. 

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:49 PM

The Games for All

The 2014 Gay Games presented by the Cleveland Foundation is one of the biggest sports & cultural festivals in the world and comes to Cleveland+Akron, 9-16 August.

The Games are open to all adults - regardless of sexual orientation or athletic ability. With more than 35 sports (from darts to triathlon, bowling to softball) and 2 cultural events (band and chorus), there's something for everybody. 

Games Week is about more than sport with spectacular ceremonies, Festival Village, parties and more. Let's show the world. Now is the time. GO ALL OUT.

Registervolunteerdonate, sign up for e-newsletter, follow on Facebook and Twitter,

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)