Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Cardinal defending Hobby Lobby tells female reporter: Women can get birth control at 7-11

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM
  • 3 Replies

Cardinal defending Hobby Lobby tells female reporter: Women can get birth control at 7-11

By David Edwards
Sunday, April 20, 2014 14:06 EDT

Cardinal Timothy Dolan speaks to CBS News

Cardinal Timothy Dolan says that Christian businesses like Hobby Lobby should not be forced to obey government rules that require all health care insurance plans provide access to contraceptives because women can already buy birth control at 7-11.

In a interview that aired Sunday on CBS, host Norah O’Donnell asked Dolan where he stood on the Hobby Lobby Supreme Court case.

“I would be inspired by the Hobby Lobby [owners],” Dolan said. “I think they’re just true Americans. They’re saying, look, the genius of America is that religious convictions affect the way we act… They sure have my admiration.”

“But doesn’t that set a dangerous precedent?” O’Donnell wondered. “If a private company can use religion to deny benefits to its employees?”

Dolan acknowledged that it could be dangerous in extreme circumstances, but he doubted that the Hobby Lobby argument was a detriment to the common good.

“Is the ability to buy contraceptives, that are now widely available — my Lord, all you have to do is walk into a 7-11 or any shop on any street in America and have access to them — is that right to access those and have them paid for, is that such a towering good that it would suffocate the rights of conscience?”

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Back in the early 80's when I was 10, 11, and 12 I went to private school but allot of the neighborhood girls I knew who were the same age were having sex and even giving blowing jobs. Some had abortions. One I can remember in particular was 12 and she had 2 abortions. If that was in the 80's it has to be much worse now if that's possible so I don't have a problem with them being on birth control. I think it's a problem they doing these things at that age but if they're gonna do it taking precautions is better than an 11 year old ending up being a mother when she is still a baby herself.

I have strongly discouraged my girls from sex before marriage. One I feel confident about, the other I'm not real sure but I have told them if it's gonna happen please be honest with me because I would get them on it if needed.

I know it's against Christianity. I don't know why. I have heard because they believe sex is for reproduction only. I don't know how true that is. I know if I were a Christian I might have to sin on this one.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Contraception is not against Christianity, just some denominations.  I think within Protestant faiths, it's encouraged as a responsible way to plan a family.  The same with sex education.  Educating a kid about sex doesn't mean they're going to have sex.  In fact, I think if they know the facts, they might decide that they aren't ready for the responsibilities and wait.  I would also put my daughters on birth control if I knew for sure they were sexually active.  Better that than a baby when they are too young, or an abortion. 

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Back in the early 80's when I was 10, 11, and 12 I went to private school but allot of the neighborhood girls I knew who were the same age were having sex and even giving blowing jobs. Some had abortions. One I can remember in particular was 12 and she had 2 abortions. If that was in the 80's it has to be much worse now if that's possible so I don't have a problem with them being on birth control. I think it's a problem they doing these things at that age but if they're gonna do it taking precautions is better than an 11 year old ending up being a mother when she is still a baby herself.

I have strongly discouraged my girls from sex before marriage. One I feel confident about, the other I'm not real sure but I have told them if it's gonna happen please be honest with me because I would get them on it if needed.

I know it's against Christianity. I don't know why. I have heard because they believe sex is for reproduction only. I don't know how true that is. I know if I were a Christian I might have to sin on this one.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM
That must be where he goes before his sexcapades with the choir boys.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)