Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Listen to a Professor Tell Students That ‘Racist, Misogynistic, Money-Grubbing People’ Want to Prevent Minorities From Voting

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Eds
  • 13 Replies

Listen to a Professor Tell Students That ‘Racist, Misogynistic, Money-Grubbing People’ Want to Prevent Minorities From Voting

A professor at a Connecticut public university was captured on audio this week warning students that “we will live in a very, very, very differing kind of country” if Republicans win control of the U.S. Senate.

“Racist, misogynist, money-grubbing people have so much power over the rest of us. And want things to go back—not to 1955, but to 1855,” professor Brent Terry added to his Introduction to Creative Writing class Monday morning.

The audio was captured by a student and published Tuesday by conservative college news website Campus Reform.

n the recording, the Eastern Connecticut State University professor continued also warned that “there are a lot of people out there that do not want black people to vote, do not want Latinos to vote. Do not want old people to vote, or young people to vote. Because generally, people like you are liberal.”

“…there are a lot of people out there that do not want black people to vote, do not want Latinos to vote.”
Share:

A spokesperson for the university told Campus Reform that professors have complete control over their classrooms.

“Our faculty has academic freedom to conduct their classes in whatever way they choose, this is not a university matter,” the spokesperson said.

Campus Reform reported that Terry did not respond to a request for comment.

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this

So someone who teaches creative writing is ignorant and over generalises on topics which are not strictly to do with creative writing?

That isn't a surprise.   The problem lies in the fact that he was sufficiently unprofessional to share those views while teaching a class.   He abused his pulpit.   It would be exactly like a non-sociologist sharing an opinion in class that Democrats are stupid.

Is it fair to the students to expect them to have to sit through ignorant insults against a category that maybe half will belong to?

Not fair, no.  Maybe suffering through that unfairness is a price worth paying to give teaching staff in general the freedom to express opinions without censorship, but I'd be more concerned about protecting their ability to express opinions in the classroom (offensive or not) that are at least within the domain of what they're qualified to teach.

If a sociologist teaching sociology wanted to express an opinion in class that democrats were stupid, I absolutely think that should be protected in the name of academic freedom.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:29 AM
7 moms liked this

"…there are a lot of people out there that do not want black people to vote, do not want Latinos to vote.”

I have NO issue with who votes. However, I DO expect ALL voters regardless of race or color to be LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZENS. 

Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree with this.

As for his statements, at times they are actually true. Not that long ago Ohio went through issues of redefining districts, severely limiting the time the polls were open, and reporting the wrong dates and times of open polls. It was spear headed by republicans in an attempt to affect the minority vote.

Quoting Clairwil:

So someone who teaches creative writing is ignorant and over generalises on topics which are not strictly to do with creative writing?

That isn't a surprise.   The problem lies in the fact that he was sufficiently unprofessional to share those views while teaching a class.   He abused his pulpit.   It would be exactly like a non-sociologist sharing an opinion in class that Democrats are stupid.

Is it fair to the students to expect them to have to sit through ignorant insults against a category that maybe half will belong to?

Not fair, no.  Maybe suffering through that unfairness is a price worth paying to give teaching staff in general the freedom to express opinions without censorship, but I'd be more concerned about protecting their ability to express opinions in the classroom (offensive or not) that are at least within the domain of what they're qualified to teach.

If a sociologist teaching sociology wanted to express an opinion in class that democrats were stupid, I absolutely think that should be protected in the name of academic freedom.

vic270
by Vic on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM
4 moms liked this

I would also like to add that the LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZENS only get 1 vote.That would be great to.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

"…there are a lot of people out there that do not want black people to vote, do not want Latinos to vote.”

I have NO issue with who votes. However, I DO expect ALL voters regardless of race or color to be LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZENS. 

erika9009
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I heard about that poll worker that voted for Obama 6 times with reg data she got. 

With that and what I have seen out here in CA with illegals voting***, I have to wonder who is really elected now a days.  

Yes, I have seen it first hand.

Quoting vic270:

I would also like to add that the LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZENS only get 1 vote.That would be great to.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

How did you know they were illegal? I work with legal and illegal immigrants...i can't tell who is who unless i ask.

Quoting erika9009:

I heard about that poll worker that voted for Obama 6 times with reg data she got. 

With that and what I have seen out here in CA with illegals voting***, I have to wonder who is really elected now a days.  

Quoting vic270:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

vic270
by Vic on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

that is so true but so wrong. then again we will never know for sure how close the election really was.

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Isn't it pretty common for college teachers to meander off into areas that are not necessarily curriculum? Honestly I had to listen to all my college teachers I didn't agree with. Get over it it's part of college.
LuvmyAiden
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I strongly suport BOTH of these opinions!

Quoting vic270:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

erika9009
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

They were just ahead of me voting.  We all voted and they walked out.  I waited for my husband who is slower than molasses voting.  There was some issue where the police were called.   With me being a "bud-in-ski", I walked over.  The police asked them for ID and they gave the officer those Mexican consulate cards.  A legal citizen would have given them something from this country.

Quoting UpSheRises:

How did you know they were illegal? I work with legal and illegal immigrants...i can't tell who is who unless i ask.

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting vic270:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)