Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How will you be celebrating?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • 14 Replies

11 ways to celebrate William Shakespeare's 450th birthday

Want to mark the Bard's big day?

11 ways to celebrate William Shakespeare's 450th birthday

1. Learn to insult like the Bard himself, you spleeny fly-bitten pumpion.  

2. Head on up to Will's birthplace Stratford Upon Avon this weekend. Take part in his 450th b-day procession through the streets of the Elizabethan market town to lay flowers on his grave. Plus there's a pageant, music, poetry readings, street performers, Morris dancing, story telling, face painting, drama workshops, cake eating... 

3. Read up on some of Shakespeare's plays. Like, really speedily. 

4. Sign up for ticket information so you don't miss Sherlock's Martin Freeman playing Richard III at Trafalgar Studios later this year.

5. Talking of Sherlock, today's probably the day to listen to Benedict Cumberbatch reading the Bard's famous words. Oh those dulcet tones...

6. Indulge in some modern Shakespearean film classics on demand. They are all there: 10 things I Hate About You (Netflix), Shakespeare in Love (blinkbox), Romeo + Juliet (blinkbox)... 

7. Watch this man impersonate celebrities and quote Shakespeare AT THE SAME TIME. Clever, huh?

8. Preorder your copy of the Royal Shakespeare Company's Richard II, starring former Doctor Who David Tennant. It's only £17.99. Bargain. 

9. Watch Tom Hiddleston casually launching into Henry V's rousing monologue, without any preparation. The man's a genius. 

10. Get your hands on a ticket for a performance at London’s Shakespeare’s Globe for just 450 of our British pennies (normal price £5). Call 0207 401 9919 to take advantage of the reduced price standing tickets, quoting ‘Birthday offer’. 

11. See Eddie Redmayne wearing makeup and playing a girl in Twelfth Night. Just because. 

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Oh yeah being that I don't even know he is I just can't wait to celebrate his birthday lol.

No seriously technically we are not even supposed to be celebrating our own birthdays so this is one I'll be sitting out

mcdun
by Humboldt California on Apr. 23, 2014 at 3:57 PM

You don't know who William Shakespeare is? 

Romeo and Juliet? Hamlet? MacBeth? A Winter's Tale? Much Ado About Nothing? The Tempest?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare 

He's a very famous playwright whose plays are as relevant today as they were when he wrote them. 

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Oh yeah being that I don't even know he is I just can't wait to celebrate his birthday lol.

No seriously technically we are not even supposed to be celebrating our own birthdays so this is one I'll be sitting out

“If you live for having it all, what you have is never enough.” 

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Quoting mcdun:

Romeo and Juliet? Hamlet? MacBeth? A Winter's Tale? Much Ado About Nothing? The Tempest?

He's a very famous playwright whose plays are as relevant today as they were when he wrote them. 

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

That actually didn't come out quite right and I thought of it right after my reply. Of course I know he is and know off him although i have never read his work or never had an interest in it so actually besides knowing who he is in name i really don't know or care anything about him and wont be running off to celebrate his birthday lol.

mcdun
by Humboldt California on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Wow well i'm not suggesting you run out and buy a birthday cake but the world would be a better place if people like you took an interest in his work. His works transcend time and can be very thought provoking. 

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting mcdun:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

That actually didn't come out quite right and I thought of it right after my reply. Of course I know he is and know off him although i have never read his work or never had an interest in it so actually besides knowing who he is in name i really don't know or care anything about him and wont be running off to celebrate his birthday lol.

UpSheRises
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I plan to speak only in metaphors.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Quoting mcdun:

Wow well i'm not suggesting you run out and buy a birthday cake but the world would be a better place if people like you took an interest in his work. His works transcend time and can be very thought provoking. 

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting mcdun:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Him or his work have just never been an interest of mine. i have always been so preoccupied with the several studies of interest i do have that , thats enough to keep up with. I study the teachings and all the text of the Islamic teachings in which I have been to Islamic University for so i can officially teach, i study medicine, traditional, homeopathic, and ancient Islamic which is time consuming and a few other things I don't "officially" study but have an interest in and read up on them when time permits but the studies i do have and are important to me keep me a busy enough that he is not on the list.

1stmuslimah
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Quoting mcdun:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting mcdun:

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Him or his work have just never been an interest of mine. i have always been so preoccupied with the several studies of interest i do have that , thats enough to keep up with. I study the teachings and all the text of the Islamic teachings in which I have been to Islamic University for so i can officially teach, i study medicine, traditional, homeopathic, and ancient Islamic which is time consuming and a few other things I don't "officially" study but have an interest in and read up on them when time permits but the studies i do have and are important to me keep me a busy enough that he is not on the list.

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM
I love Shakespeare and I had no idea that "10 things I hate about you" is a remake. What play? I see it on Netflix and never have any interest.
My favorite is either Macbeth or Hamlet and I can take or leave romeo and juliet. Like much ado and midsummers nights dream and the sonnets meh.
mcdun
by Humboldt California on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM

The Taming of the Shrew

Quoting stacymomof2: I love Shakespeare and I had no idea that "10 things I hate about you" is a remake. What play? I see it on Netflix and never have any interest. My favorite is either Macbeth or Hamlet and I can take or leave romeo and juliet. Like much ado and midsummers nights dream and the sonnets meh.

Donna6503
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Romeo, what a dumb name.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN