Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What a Devout Muslim Did for a Barefoot Homeless Man on a Bus Is Truly Inspiring

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:47 PM
Eds
  • 4 Replies
2 moms liked this

What a Devout Muslim Did for a Barefoot Homeless Man on a Bus Is Truly Inspiring

A homeless man was riding a Vancouver bus alone and barefoot over the weekend. As he sat with nothing but plastic hairnets covering his feet, most of his fellow passengers ignored or avoided him.

But one caring observer was so overtaken by compassion for the man’s plight that he removed his own socks and shoes and gave them to him.

The benefactor, who could have simply joined his peers in ignoring the man, subsequently exited the bus and walked home barefoot.

Bus driver Surjit Singh Virk observed the the incident, telling reporters that it truly warmed his heart. The driver also took pictures of both the homeless man and the donor, which have since been shared on social media.

Image source:

Image source: Salim Jiwa’s Facebook page

“It made my heart melt,” Virk told QMI Agency. “He just took his shoes and socks off and said, ‘You can take these, don’t worry about me — I live close by and can walk.’”

The generous 27-year-old man, who was apparently on his way home from worshiping at a local mosque, asked to remain anonymous when contacted by QMI Agency about the story.

“I felt bad for the guy. He was wearing plastic hairnets on his feet,” he said. “I was only about a two-minute walk from home, so I thought I could give him my shoes.”

The man said acts of charity in the Islamic faith should be done anonymously and so didn’t want to have his name released publicly. This caring act would likely be counted as “sadaqa,” or voluntary giving that is a part of the Muslim faith.

Virk said the recipient of the shoes was entirely surprised by the act of kindness.

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
slashteddy
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
This is a wonderful story. :)
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:01 PM

True love of thy neighbor. I applaud the Muslim man for his compassion and charity. 

Gerbert007
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Wonderful story,thanks for sharing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

For us this is nothing not commonly heard of. It was his Islamic duty to do so and had he not being that I'm quite sure he other shoes and socks at home it would have been a sin.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)