Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Koch Group Sends Out Mailings Telling WVA Voters It's Too Late to Register

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:41 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

"Freedom-loving" Scumbags hard at work suppressing the vote in West Virginia:

Voters in at least eight West Virginia counties have been mailed “misleading and confusing” material that may make them incorrectly believe they aren’t eligible to vote in next month’s election, Secretary of State Natalie Tennant said Tuesday.The leaflets — mailed by the Americans for Prosperity Foundation — warn voters that if they do not update their voter registration, they may lose their right to vote in the upcoming primary election on May 13. The mailings included voter registration cards and prepaid return envelopes addressed to county clerks.
This is a cute trick. April 22 was the last day to register to vote in the May 13 WVA primary. So the Koch front group sends out mailers geared to arrive on April 21 and 22, complete with voter registration cards and return envelopes to make it seem legitimate.  Of course, having arrived "too late" in the mail, the effect of the "warnings" is to make voters think they've blown the deadline to "update" their registration, so they might as well not vote.

Except there is no deadline for the vast majority of voters. No requirement to "update" your status if you're already registered. Unless you have moved or changed your name, or desire to change parties, your registration is just fine.  

“We were concerned that people were reporting getting this leaflet [Monday and Tuesday],” said spokesman Jake Glance. “We are concerned, since [Tuesday was] the final day to change your registration to vote. We are particularly concerned about people who went to work in the morning, then got this mailing when they returned in the evening. Some opened their mail and said, ‘Oh, my gosh, I missed the deadline to update my voter registration.
Registered voters in eight counties received the bogus mailings.  Here is what they were told:
 “As a good citizen who values their Constitutional right to vote, we are reminding you to update your voter registration. Updating your registration before the deadline ensures youdo not lose your right to vote in the upcoming election,” the AFP leaflet states.“Voter Registration deadline is April 22, 2014. Take 2 minutes right now to fill out the enclosed voter registration form. Fold and seal then mail back to your County Clerk. No postage is necessary."
Notice that the mailing refers to the "upcoming election"--not the primary. The effect of this mailing, with its impossible-to-meet deadline, is to suggest to people that they have missed the deadline to vote not only in the primary, but in the general election.  
”Berkeley County Chief Deputy Clerk Bonnie Woodall, who handles voter registration in the county, said residents there were confused by the mailing.“We had gotten seven calls, and had people coming to our office, who were very confused and duped,” said Woodall. “These leaflets were put out by Americans for Prosperity. They specialized leaflets for each county, which gave people the feeling they would not be able to vote if they did not fill these forms out and get them back to us by today.
The Kochs and their surrogates in the Republican Party are attacking Representative Nick Rahall (D-WVA) over his support for the Affordable Care Act, flooding the local airwaves with smear ads:
After 38 years in Congress, Rep. Nick Rahall, D-W.Va., is fighting for his political life for the first time. Right-wing billionaires and conservative industries are flooding Southern West Virginia with expensive smear ads making slanted attacks. They even created a fake “Nick Rahall for Congress” Web site to lure viewers, then tell them that the long-term congressman “has openly sold out West Virginia and joined the War on Coal.”Leading this onslaught are tycoons like the billionaire Koch brothers...[.]
Of course, the lower the turnout, the better for the Republicans--and what's good for Republicans is good for the Koch brothers.

West Virginia citizens can check their registration at https://apps.sos.wv.gov/.../Default.aspx, or by calling their county’s voter registration office.

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieL
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband won't be satified until the Koch Brothers are behind bars.

petitekatie
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:48 AM
Wow.
Schauseil
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I didn't even read the whole thing, I live in WV. It was ALL over Facebook! People confused and upset because they thought the law has been changed, they needed to update their registration, and no one had told them. A lot of people were super pissed off not because they were planning to vote but because in WV most don't like to constantly update their private information, none of the governments business.
blueforewolf
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM
4 moms liked this

this should be a felony in my opinion

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I didn't bother to read much past 'freedom loving scumbags'. 

idunno1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:06 PM

True....inflammatory and unnecessary but of course it doesn't matter.  We already know you think "your" billionaires can do no wrong.

Quoting grandmab125:

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I have generally found any post that starts out like that, especially ones posted by this OP, aren't worth reading.  They are usually poorly written diatribes.  If she wants people to take her seriously (which I really don't think she gives a shit about), she would take those kinds of ignorant remarks out of her post.

Quoting idunno1234:

True....inflammatory and unnecessary but of course it doesn't matter.  We already know you think "your" billionaires can do no wrong.

Quoting grandmab125:

idunno1234
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Are you saying that the articles and things you have posted aren't ever inflammatory and/or blatantly biased?

Quoting grandmab125:

I have generally found any post that starts out like that, especially ones posted by this OP, aren't worth reading.  They are usually poorly written diatribes.  If she wants people to take her seriously (which I really don't think she gives a shit about), she would take those kinds of ignorant remarks out of her post.

Quoting idunno1234:

Quoting grandmab125:

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Find a post where it started out 'freedom hating scumbags', meaning dems that I posted ever.  Find any post that I have put up that is blatantly nasty.  Find any posts that I put up that I don't ever go back into to discuss the topic or defend it.  Ooops, wait, that's right.....you can't.

Celestial puts up all kinds of shit just to meet her quota.  Apparently, one doesn't need to discuss anything in one's posts in order to get paid.  She's not interested in intelligent debate.  How on God's green earth have you not figured that out by now?

Quoting idunno1234:

Are you saying that the articles and things you have posted aren't ever inflammatory and/or blatantly biased?

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting idunno1234:

Quoting grandmab125:

erika9009
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure the group only sent it to black voters since everyone thinks the 1% is bunch of racist white guys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)