Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How do you feel about the death penalty?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM
  • 13 Replies

Death Row Inmate Dies of Heart Attack After Botched Execution in Oklahoma

by Jenny Erikson

Death PenaltyThe United States is not into cruel and unusual punishment, so death sentences these days are carried out by lethal injection. Whenever someone has been found guilty of a crime so heinous that they're subjected to the death penalty, the goal is to take them out as swiftly and painlessly as possible, which is why a sedative is added as part of the deadly cocktail.

Unfortunately, a new formula was used in Oklahoma Tuesday night, and the execution of Clayton Lockett was botched and halted after the drugs failed to work. He died almost an hour after the first injection of an apparent heart attack. A second scheduled execution of another convicted murderer was postponed.

Corrections Director Robert Patton made the call to halt the execution when it became clear that Lockett wasn't reacting to the drugs as expected. It is supposed to take 6 to 12 minutes from injection to death, but after 20 minutes, it was clear something was wrong. He believes that a vein rupture caused the chemicals to escape his veins.

In a news conference after the incident, Patton said, "There was some concern at that time that the drugs were not having that [desired] effect, and the doctor observed the line at that time and determined the line had blown."

Lockett's attorney said, "It was extremely difficult to watch." No kidding. According to reports, the inmate was convulsing on the table and, at one point, even sat up and said something.

Governor Mary Fallin has issued a 14-day stay of execution for the second inmate who was scheduled for his death two hours after Lockett on the same gurney. It was to be the state's first double execution in almost 100 years.

Lockett was convicted of killing a 19-year-old girl in 1999. He shot Stephanie Neiman when she entered a home he was robbing and then watched as two accomplices buried her alive. 

One witness described the gory scene:

Lockett grimaced and tensed his body several times over a three-minute period before the execution was shielded from the press. After being declared unconscious ten minutes into the process, Lockett spoke at three separate moments. The first two were inaudible, however the third time he spoke, Lockett said the word 'man.'

Lockett declined a "last meal" after his original surf and turf request was denied for exceeding the $15 limit. Prison officials say he declined the warden's offer for a dinner from Western Sizzlin.

What a gruesome scene and sure to raise lots of strong opinions on both sides of the capital punishment debate.

How do you feel about the death penalty?

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

As is it is pretty weak.

Punishment needs to be swift and sure.

This is neither.

If you receive the death penalty - you should have one (1) year to bring sometype of reasonable doubt or notice or error, if after one year you have not - then you are executed.

redheadstar
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Death can be too easy,  just give them life with NO parole.

VeronicaTex
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

This will give the person the rest of his/her life to reflect on the mistake they made.....

It might even bring about a repentance....of their crime and in their spirit.

To me this is more humane...

Veronica

Quoting redheadstar:

jamelame
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I'm against it. There is no way you can make things right if you execute an innocent person.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM

i'm on the fence with it really.  I think its something that could be good if our prosecuting system and judicial system wasn't so fucked up (parden my french lol)  I used to be all for it until i started working at a law firm that is an advocate for inmates rights.  

One thing we have found through several appeals we have done, is prosecutors and detectives and not unbiased.  they often decide what they think happened and will question and threaten and bend the rules just enough so that no one really notices, to get the conviction they want.  I'm not saying that all convictions are incorrect, some are correct and true, unfortunately, we have more more cases that land in our laps to be untrue than true.  we have seen evidence purposefully left out that would clear the client, we have even seen evidence planted.

The eighth amended prohibits cruel and unusual punishment.  I bring this up for a number a reason and they are actually finding that what has been going on with the death penalty could potentially fall under violation of this amendment.  the lethal injection which is most often used is suppose to contain 3 ingredients: barbiturate, paralytic, and potassium solution).  Unfortunately most states have only been known to use all three during one injection a handful of times, usually only using 1 or 2 out of the three most of the time.  The problem with this is, the inmate is often awake during the slow suffocation process the body is suppose to take when these injections are injected, sometimes resulting in up to 20 minutes conscious before death.  I get that they did violent crimes and their victims probably suffered much more, i'm not saying they shouldn't suffer.  i definately don't agree with the last meal.  I feel they gave up the right to choose their food when they committed the crime, but there comes a point where we are just as evil as they are when we do things like deliberately leave out the sedative.  

One thing i've noticed, at least with the prisons here, which there is a lawsuit going on here, is that proper medical treatment is denied.  we have a former client that was having a grand mal seizure and smacking his head on the bench over and over again in the middle of it and the guards just stood over him and watched.  he won that law suit.

I know this doesn't clarify whether i agree with it or not.  i am pro death penalty if its 100% correct and true that the person who is convicted actually did it.  That being said, would the death penatly exist if that were the case?

Friday
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:07 PM

On the fence. I used to be totally for it till I came to CM and learned about innocents on Death Row. I'd rather give them life than risk killing an innocent. And apparently we need to find a better way than what was done to this man. That is right out of the revenge scenes in Law Abiding Citizen.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

Gerbert007
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Im on the fence.I wonder how long stephanie suffered before passing out from being buried alive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting redheadstar:

We could sure save a lot of money, if we didn't just warehouse the human debris for 30 years.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:12 AM

BUMP!

IhartU
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

One appeal, then off with their head. I'm all for bringing back the guillatine. It's cheaper and more human IMO. I do not believe we should stick them jail until they die and have the tax payer foot the bill while they get free meals, a bed, cable tv, books to read, sports to play, family visits and letters from the outside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)