Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

As if conservative Christians couldn't get any more creepy... "Your dad is your boyfriend."

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:36 PM
  • 123 Replies
2 moms liked this

You're married to the Lord, and your father is your boyfriend.

The Creepy Way Fathers Across the Country Are Controlling Their Daughters' Virginity

"At this point, you're married to the Lord, and your father is your boyfriend." 

So says Pastor Ron Johnson to his 12-year-old daughter Caroline, before placing a ring on her left finger. Johnson and his family are the subject of a recent Nightline Prime investigation of Purity Balls, a "full-fledged national phenomenon" that has reportedly spread across 48 states and 17 countries. Despite the thought that first popped into my head, these balls are not some ironic term for Ben Wa sex toys, but rather formal father-daughter dances during which young girls pledge to abstain from all sexual activity until marriage (this includes kissing and dating). They also symbolically entrust their fathers — the "high priest" of the home — with their maidenheads for safekeeping.

The special was filmed back in October 2013, when Nightline reporters headed to the 14th annual "Super Bowl of Purity" (only in America, folks) to document the chaste event. As the cameras rolled, 60 father-daughter couples arrived at the Grand Ballroom of Colorado's Broadmoor Hotel to "celebrate the beauty of [their] daughters and the glory of their fathers."

Creeped out yet? You should be. Purity Balls might seem like a quirky, inoffensive ritual of uber-religious middle America, but they're emblematic of some very messed up attitudes about women and their sexuality that have serious implications beyond these communities.

Purity Balls stem from purity pledges, a practice that developed in the late '80s and early '90s in response to increased sexual liberation, the AIDS epidemic and rising rates of STDs and teen pregnancy. In 1998, five years after the Southern Baptist group True Love Waitspopularized the first purity pledge cards, Randy Wilson and his wife Lisa held the inaugural Purity Ball.

Wilson is not a minister, but he is very concerned with young women's sexuality. As the father of five daughters, he started the balls in an effort to control what he deems a tumultuous transition from "girlhood to womanhood."

"What I hear from these young ladies is that there's this need for that physical touch, and from a male being," he tells Nightline. "I believe that's what the father's role is."

Girls typically take the purity pledge at the balls around age 12 or 13, not coincidentally around the same time they start getting their periods; however, young women of all ages can attend. The ceremony itself is rife with symbolism — some of it intentional, like when ballerinas clad in virginal white carry a large wooden cross to the middle of the dance floor:

And some of it not, like when two men then stand before the cross, each holding out a sword

After fathers and daughters walk beneath these crossed swords, daughters lay white roses at the cross to silently commit to living "pure lives before God." Then everybody foxtrots. 

The Wilsons are part of an evangelical community that views both hookup culture and the media's messages surrounding sexuality as deeply troublesome. So it's ironic that the method they've chosen to combat the hypersexualization of girlhood is, well, the hypersexualization of girlhood.

When you get down to it, Purity Balls are literally all about sex. If your worth as a human being is invariably tied to what you do with the parts between your legs, who you are becomes defined by your sexuality; you're either pure, or impure. Madonna, or a whore. As Jessica Valenti puts it in The Purity Myth:

"What's the difference between venerating women for being fuckable and putting them on a purity pedestal? In both cases, women's worth is contingent upon their ability to please men and to shape their sexual identities around what men want."

Let's be clear: What consenting adults do (or don't do) between the sheets isn't anyone else's business, and there's nothing wrong with a personal decision to practice abstinence. But that's not what this is.

In giving fathers (and by extension, future husbands) dominion over their daughters' virginity, Purity Balls both commodify female sexuality and completely rob women of sexual autonomy, instead granting power to men who, if Wilson's comments about "male beings" are any indication, have very little understanding of what it actually feels like to be a young woman.

And since purity pledges and abstinence-only education have both repeatedly been shown to be ultimately ineffective in preventing teens from having sex, what happens to those who inevitably slip, having been taught that their entire moral value is so contingent upon their sex lives (or lack thereof)?

SORRY SOMEONE IS AT MY DOOR I HAVE TO GO READ THE REST HERE: 

http://www.policymic.com/articles/86149/the-creepy-way-fathers-across-the-country-are-controlling-their-daughters-virginity

A kiss is the beginning of cannibalism.

-Georges Bataille

by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gerbert007
by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:44 PM
8 moms liked this
Whats creepy is when dads approve of their daughters dressing and behaving like sluts and sometimes sexually abusing them themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM
7 moms liked this

Oh the day I walked beneath my father's erect sword after dancing around a huge wooden cross in my white tutu.... the absolute zenith of my Christian existence.

Only a heathen would refuse to participate in such an act of piety.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Peeperdea!!!

Quoting Gerbert007: Whats creepy is when dads approve of their daughters dressing and behaving like sluts and sometimes sexually abusing them themselves.

fireangel5
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:56 PM
3 moms liked this

If girls pledge their purity and keep it until marriage, if males pledge their purity and keep it until marriage, I don't see an issue. If that is what they want to do, who cares? What's wrong with wanting to avoid hookups and stay a virgin until they are married? It's not for everyone of course but for those who choose it, more power to them. 

Raintree
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:56 PM
Oh!

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Hi Peeperdea!!!

Quoting Gerbert007: Whats creepy is when dads approve of their daughters dressing and behaving like sluts and sometimes sexually abusing them themselves.

Gerbert007
by on May. 1, 2014 at 9:00 PM
What? ive read that some of you will accuse others of being alts when you have nothing intelligent to say.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Hi Peeperdea!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nopenope666
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, you can't date until you're married. I thought that was just a joke I made.
Elizabeth1131
by New Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I would like everyone to now go to youtube and look up a song called The Loophole by garfunkle and oats!

(Warning: foul language and adult content.....also may piss off people who have no sense of humor )

Donna6503
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM
The late Roger Miller:

My uncle use to love me, but she died

A chicken ain't a chicken til its' licken gets fried.

Keep on the Sunny side.

My uncle use to love me, but she died

I don't know why, but this seems to be a king of a post
paknari
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:15 PM
He could have worded that differently. I like the idea but not the way it is proposed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)