Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Taco Bell Comes Clean About What’s in Their Mystery Meat Filling. Yum?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM
  • 12 Replies

Taco Bell Comes Clean About What’s in Their Mystery Meat Filling. Yum?

by Adriana Velez

taco bellAnd now! The answer! To the burning question that's been on all our minds! WHAT IS IN THE TACO BELL MEAT FILLING? Oh fine, maybe it's not such a burning question, and it actually hasn't been on my mind at all. But ever since an Alabama law firm claimed the seasoned beef filling at the fast food restaurant was composed of only 35 percent beef, the big bell has been scrambling to save its reputation. Behold, doubters: Taco Bell seasoned meat is 88 percent beef. So away with your false aspersions of mystery meat!

Wait -- 88 percent? What about the other 12 percent? There's still a mystery here. Well, haha, funny you should ask. Taco Bell has an explanation for that.

The other 12 percent of the seasoned meat is composed of Taco Bell's "signature recipe." And you can get that recipe on their Ingredient Statement page or right here:

Water

Cellulose (derived from wood pulp and cotton, just passes through your system)

Chili Pepper

Onion Powder

Salt

Oats

Maltodextrin (thickener made from corn, potato, or tapioca starch)

Soy Lecithin (an emulsifier)

Tomato Powder

Sugar

Soybean Oil

Sea Salt

Yeast Extract

Spices

Garlic Powder

Citric Acid

Caramel Color (hopefully not Caramel III or Caramel IV)

Disodium Inosinate (a flavor enhancer usually derived from meat or fish that gives food an umami taste)

Disodium Guanylate (kinda the same thing as Disodium Inosinate; both are used instead of MSG, though some nutritionists say they're very similar)

Potassium Chloride (a salt substitute)

Cocoa Powder Processed With Alkali

Natural and Artificial Flavors (???)

Trehalose (sweetener derived from fungi and/or insects or, as Cargill puts it, "an ideal ingredient for generating exciting market possibilities")

Modified Corn Starch

Inactivated Yeast

Lactic Acid

Torula Yeast (another flavor enhancing substitute for MSG that lends an umami flavor)

Natural Smoke Flavor

Salt

Sodium Phosphate (salt)

Beef Broth

Potassium Phosphate (salt-ish, used to treat kidney stones)

Potassium Lactate (salt from lactic acid)

Yes, that is a very, very long list. When I make Adriana's Special Propriety Seasoned Taco Beefâ„¢, I just use beef, chili powder, sea salt, and maybe some whole cumin seeds. (Aw shit, I just gave away my proprietary recipe! Now the world knows.) But keep in mind, 88 percent ain't bad. Take a look at what one study found some fast food burgers are made of. And anyway, at least they're being transparent about their ingredients -- and they're kind of funny about it, as you can see on their "What are those ingredients?" page. That's Taco Bell's special proprietary blend of humor for you.

Do you want this much information about the ingredients in your fast food?

by on May. 2, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM

No

choaspartyof4
by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM
You could not pay me to eat Taco Bell
veggiemom474
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I wanna throw up thinking about their food.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on May. 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM
No.
Donna6503
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM
Well I've noticed that they've stop using that dog in their commercials ...

Maybe, it's the ...

No it can't be possible ...
-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM
We refuse to go out to eat because of mystery ingredients
Seracake
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I remember when a reputable family restaurant got busted using road kill as their meat source. Unless you're preparing the food yourself, ya never know!

PamR
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Ew.  Don't go there anyway.  Yuck.

autodidact
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM

"an ideal ingredient for generating exciting market possibilities"

meaning someone has stock in Preperation H and in TP.. 

Dora1692
by on May. 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM

 I won't lie - I figured there would be worse things in their meat. But I say that because I've never eaten at Taco Bell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)