Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

MSNBC: Benghazi Doesn't Matter Because... Panera Bread

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

Or e-cigarettes. Or something.

On MSNBC's The Ed Show, the host and his guests were predictably pontificating on why the Benghazi story doesn't matter and is just so much hot air. One guest, Holland Cooke, had a particularly strange reasoning.

"I gotta tell ya. When I"m loitering, when I'm listening at Dunkin' Donuts, at Panera, I have never heard the word Benghazi. You know what I hear at Panera? Job interviews. But I don't hear Benghazi."

That's right, the story of Benghazi is so boring and inconsequential and lame that even the people who are loitering at Panera Bread don't talk about it. In sociodemographic studies, a field I just made up, the relative importance of a story is often determined by the "Panera Bread Customer Engagement Scale" or "P-bready" for short. 

Cooke goes on to add that he "heard some great talk radio this week when the stations were talking about things that matter." Because Benghazi doesn't matter you see. What's some old "dead Americans" story got to compete with the big important stuff that matters like soup of the day?

So what should we be talking about? Cooke has the answer for that, too.

"In a number of states and municipalities, e-cigarettes are a hot item now."

That's right kids. That's the new hip thing to rap about. Somebody make sure Greg Gutfeld knows. So, can we, at long last, stop talking about trivial matters like national security, terrorism, and the lives of Americans abroad? After all, what difference at this point does it make?

by on May. 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the truth. When I'm hangin out I have never heard of it or most of the stuff discussed here on CM mentioned.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM

So?

And especially if the MSM is covering up their cover-up, that's sort of what cover-ups do.

Just because people at Panera Bread aren't discussing something, doesn't mean it's not true.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

That's the truth. When I'm hangin out I have never heard of it or most of the stuff discussed here on CM mentioned.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM
I like bread

1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

So?

And especially if the MSM is covering up their cover-up, that's sort of what cover-ups do.

Just because people at Panera Bread aren't discussing something, doesn't mean it's not true.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

I was saying based on what I have seen that people here and there in real life, Panera, visiting in our homes, where ever don't discuss it or most of what I see here on CM. Allot of times I will see an interesting bit of news from this very group and make mention of it to people in real life and they are not really interested. I am a news junky and any time any one comes to my home if my TV is on it is on the news and my friends and family just can't believe I sit and actually watch the news. People just don't seem to have an interest in what is going on in the news or with world affairs and are completely clueless if you try to strike up a conversation on it.

They always tell me "I don't watch the news because it's too depressing"

People are more interested in talking about their personal life. That's what I meant in my originally reply and was saying was true. I was agreeing with whenever I am out or with others these things are not talked about or mentioned and people in general seem to care less and know very little.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

DoofusAloofus
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Benghazi blahblahblah mmmm warm bread!...  (sorry, I'm hungry!)

jobseeker
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM

eye rolling

And that means__________________?

We all know that the small talk in Panera, Dunkin Donuts or at the bus stop is not the 'hot button' issue.  It is just soft chit chat to pass the time.  I am disappointed that any serious news orgainization would allow that kind of observational thinking be promoted on the air. 

Abaco
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
That's sad, it's certainly is not something to shrug off. It's not like what we don't know won't hurt us. It's quite the opposite. I'll never forget 9/11 either year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stmuslimah
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Quoting Abaco: That's sad, it's certainly is not something to shrug off. It's not like what we don't know won't hurt us. It's quite the opposite. I'll never forget 9/11 either year.

I find that the mind frame of this generation is exactly that, "what we don't know wont hurt us" . Most people I know in real life don't know, don't want to know. Not only with this issue but with most world or current news events. They call it "too depressing" so instead they just keep their head in the ground.

I have very little in common with most of my friends and family because these world events and current news are an interest to me so besides here on CM where there are like minded people such as in this group I really don't have anyone to have these discussions with.

Because they have no interest or find it "boring" or "depressing" they really are in the dark and don't have a clue making it impossible to have such discussions.

Sisters of Islam

Healthy Living & Cooking

Abaco
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly ! The same here. The woman I work for or used to work for is like that. One day BOOM ! it's going to hit her and she'll be more than depressed. When something hits her she's taken for a loop so to speak.

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

Quoting Abaco: That's sad, it's certainly is not something to shrug off. It's not like what we don't know won't hurt us. It's quite the opposite. I'll never forget 9/11 either year.

I find that the mind frame of this generation is exactly that, "what we don't know wont hurt us" . Most people I know in real life don't know, don't want to know. Not only with this issue but with most world or current news events. They call it "too depressing" so instead they just keep their head in the ground.

I have very little in common with most of my friends and family because these world events and current news are an interest to me so besides here on CM where there are like minded people such as in this group I really don't have anyone to have these discussions with.

Because they have no interest or find it "boring" or "depressing" they really are in the dark and don't have a clue making it impossible to have such discussions.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Because nobody cares that a staffer messed up.  We know that some staffer messd up.  That the GOP want a redo of history with a idiotic dream of spending dozens to "rescue" 4.  Too much TV there.  Personally I don't care anymore about Political slogans that have nothing to do with reality.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)