Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working on something for class...Help me out?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 18 Replies

We are currently working on end of life issues and the moral / legal reasoning behind decisions that are made. What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you believe it is okay to deny life saving / sustaining procedures? Does your religion play a part in your opinion on this?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stmuslimah
by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

We are going through this now. One of our family members is living his last day with liver, kidney, and complete organ failure. Last week I would have been more help for you on this but after I had to take him in for emergency surgery 3 nights ago some things came to light that was going on behind the families back (we are a huge family) most of us have decided to wash our hands are hands of him now and wait for the funeral.

Pema_Jampa
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I am very sorry. Thank you for responding. 

Quoting 1stmuslimah:

We are going through this now. One of our family members is living his last day with liver, kidney, and complete organ failure. Last week I would have been more help for you on this but after I had to take him in for emergency surgery 3 nights ago some things came to light that was going on behind the families back (we are a huge family) most of us have decided to wash our hands are hands of him now and wait for the funeral.

booaura
by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm a nurse, I work in the ER. End of life is something I've dealt with often. Sick patients who are diagnosed with terminal illnesses, patients who were in wrecks and are dying. Something that infuriates me to no end is families disregard for DNR's. End of life and advanced life support is something everyone has to come to terms with and decide on their own.

I'm not religious, so beliefs and faith have nothing to do with it. I believe it is right to deny life saving aid, CPR, vents, intubation, if that is what the patient wants.

I also believe firmly in quality of life over quantity. Simply being alive isn't the end all and be all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM
I believe whole heartedly in a person's right to dictate end of life care through living wills. My MIL was put on life support when she had documented no care in certain situations. But the religion of the hospital barred withholding certain items. It took 6 days of fighting with hospital administrators and the religious board to get life support removed and allow her to go to God in peace. It was a horrifying process.

Now, I don't believe that other people (even parents), should have the ability to withhold care. I believe it truly to be a personal issue. If a person wishes to terminate their life, they should also have that right. Even if assistance is needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Do you believe it is okay to deny life saving / sustaining procedures?

Yes.

Society can not afford to give all possible life sustaining procedures.   Organ transplants are incredibly expensive to perform.   A choice has to be made on who gets which medical resources.   That choice may be done by who can afford the most, who queued first, who will gain the biggest increase in life expectancy from receiving the procedure, or some other criteria.   But, explicit or not, actively made or not, the choice is still being made. 

Sparklepants747
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I believe that adults should be able to choose euthanasia in certain situations. I believe that all adults have the right to sign a DNR. All people deserve to die with dignity, and make their wishes known and followed. 

My religion does not play a part in this opinion. First hand experience with hospice patients does. One of the saddest things I have ever seen is an elderly hospice patient refusing painkillers with the hope that she would die more quickly. 

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM

This is something Matt and I had talked about before we got married.  We both decided that neither of us wanted to be kept alive on life support.  I am thankful I did not have to make the decision to pull the plug, I would have because it would have been what he wanted but it would have been extremely hard.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I believe that an adult (and some children, above the age of reason and in great amounts of pain) should be able to choose their end of life care.  My religion does play a part in my views.  It should not be another's place to choose whether a person goes back to their maker or not.

Ziva65
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I have lots of thoughts on this topic. Were there more specific questions? I 've had personal experience with this, experience as a home care and hospice nurse, and as an NP- I have seen it from all sides, and I think I've seen almost everything. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Personally, I think it all depends on the circumstances and someones choice, within certain limits. If there is a possibility for recovery, and someone isn't necessarily terminally ill, I have no issues with feeding tubes, life sustaining treatments, etc. 

Hopefully, people think these things through and make decisions for themselves in advance so it can be honored if that ever comes about for them. Also, best if they have someone they trust who will honor those wishes, and have it written down in advance.

My religion plays a part in it to the point that I do not believe in active euthanasia/ killing someone (ie: giving too much morphine or creating some sort of death cocktail I do have a problem with). I've seen that too...

I don't have a problem with allowing the natural course of things to occur- such as the natural dying process- and pain control if needed, antibiotics if needed- without forcing "life sustaining" measures on someone (such as I disagree with placing a feeding tube or ventilator on someone who is terminal and dying)

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Do you believe it is okay to deny life saving / sustaining procedures?

I have no problem with voluntary euthanasia, where the patient is of sound mind, and neither coerced or deceived, and two qualified medical personnel have oked it.

Nor of a doctor carrying out a living will, written by a person in advance while they were of sound mind (and not coerced or deceived), by not providing a treatment that the patient can't express an opinion about (because, for example, they are in a coma).

I'm less happy with the word "deny".  To me that has implications of the doctor refusing to supply a treatment despite the patient asking for it, and that's involuntary euthanasia, which is a very different kettle of fish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)